Drew Community

Drew Community (https://community.drew.edu//index.php)
-   Current CLA students (https://community.drew.edu//forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Professors (https://community.drew.edu//showthread.php?t=654)

08-23-2006 03:19 PM

Professors

Hello everyone! I had a question for all those people who are not incoming freshman: How are the professors at Drew? I know they are all different but would you say most are nice and helpful or are most of them strict and simply get down to business. Do they care if you are struggling with something? Please share any of your experiences with your favs or least favs. I'm just trying to get an idea of what I am in for haha thanks!

08-23-2006 03:25 PM

As this is a freely accessible forum, they're awesome.

ALL OF THEM.

*fake grin*

08-23-2006 03:25 PM

great...lol;)

08-23-2006 05:05 PM

its hard to say. I think its really a mixed bag. Most of em are really cool people, but when it comes down to it, they want to make sure you understand the material. Sometimes they come off a little harder than others, but their purpose is to direct, instruct, and help you. Use their resources and office hours. It's what they're there for. Any professor in particular you're looking at?

08-23-2006 06:13 PM

well, how are these professors: Cassano, Peek, Fralix, and Apelian?

08-23-2006 06:24 PM

Jennings, Webb, King? haha

08-23-2006 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yaroslava Goncharova
well, how are these professors: Cassano, Peek, Fralix, and Apelian?

Never had Cassano or Fralix

Peek is a character! I bet you're taking him for folklore. He's pretty easy going, but his lectures are unstructured. Try and keep an open mind with him. Or you can BS your way through a class of his.

Apelian is a really cool guy. Stats I take it? I am NOT a stats person, but I needed it for my major (yay Behavioral Science!) And I would say that he's probably the best stats professor in the department. He's really easy going and wants to help the students make it through the class.

08-23-2006 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raquel V. Cedeno

Jennings is the only one who I've had from that group. I just had him last semester. He's really cool. He keeps the lectures really interesting, but he looks for students to kind of move it along too. *WARNING* he doesn't remind you when stuff is due. He believes that its the student's job to keep on top of things. It's his job to make sure that he's getting the material across. I hope I can get another class with him.

08-23-2006 08:15 PM

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com

Learn it, bookmark it, visit it frequently. It's generally pretty accurate and it helps a LOT if you are registering for classes and need to decide between two classes. Professors are really important to how much you like a class.

And also, it's been my general experience that the profs are Drew are very eager to get to know their students and are very open and available. I very frequently email with my professors during the semester.

08-23-2006 09:45 PM

thanks a lot!

Kevin P. Egan 08-23-2006 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raquel V. Cedeno

Webb is really nice, she'll stop you in the halls and ask how you're doing. She is always willing to help you w/ material. King (I assume you mean Baldwin King) is a lab prof. He's got an accent that can make it hard to understand what he's explaining and can move pretty quick through the mechanisms on the board. But he's pretty nice and is helpful if you're confused.

08-23-2006 09:58 PM

awesome thanks everyone!

08-23-2006 11:04 PM

Drew's a small place with generally small classes. If you went here for the size, you get what you pay for. I have friends at bigger places that haven't never spoken one on one.... Even if you don't like a professor, this is a definite advantage. The circumstances surrounding the professors are excellent.

08-24-2006 07:39 AM

thats a tricky question. i'd personally be concerned with how many people have rated the professors. if a professor has a terrible rating but has only been looked at by two people, i wouldnt take it that seriously. now if he was looked at by twelve....

as a side question, who do you have?

08-24-2006 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin R. Newell
I just went to ratemyprofessors.com and basically 3 out of my five professors are considered horrible. How seriously should I take this site.

eh, whatever. i dont put much stock into rate-my-whatever websites. i have found that people generally only vote if they hate a professor so much that bitching to their friends doesn't satiate the rage. also, a poor rating can often mean that the professor just gives a lot of homework [which is NOT a mark of a bad professor]. and honestly, every professor is different to every person. there's only one professor at drew that i honestly can't stand, and i know people who adore him. so, like everything in life, a professor being good or bad is totally subjective and dependent on the person taking the class. so don't completely dismiss a professor simply because a few people voted negatively for them on a website.

that said, i WILL say that asking around about a professor is definitely a good idea if you're ambivalent about whether or not to take a certain class. it's better to rely on friends, though, rather than a website, because you know your friends and what they do and don't like, and thus are more able to properly [and fairly] judge whether you will like a professor. ALSO, you're not going to be able to avoid some bad professors. while almost every professor i have had has been phenomenal, every school has its bad eggs. try and pick them out the best you can. drew definitely has more good professors than bad ones. in two years i can count at least three classes that have truly changed me. i'm not talking just "oh wow now i look at that differently" but actually challenged and reformed some of my core beliefs and goals in life. that's pretty impressive that one person's teaching could do that, you know?

...and if you ever get a chance to take a class with prof. butler, prof. cassady, prof. hala, prof. smith-wright, prof. liebowitz, or prof. boglioli, DO IT :)

08-24-2006 10:41 AM

well either way i will be finding out whether i like them myself verrry soon.:eek: freaking out haha

08-24-2006 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dia O'Neil

...and if you ever get a chance to take a class with prof. butler, prof. cassady, prof. hala, prof. smith-wright, prof. liebowitz, or prof. boglioli, DO IT :)

i double the recommendation on boglioli... and i'll add jamieson, kuntz, and yordan

08-24-2006 02:11 PM

FYI: Drew made Princetonreview's "Teachers Get High Marks" category on their best schools list this year. We're #19 :)

Mike Richichi 08-24-2006 02:46 PM

I wouldn't take ratemyprofessors.com too seriously. I think it's worth looking at, not for ratings but for what people say if they do. I find I can tell the people who are giving a bad rating because they got a bad grade from the ones who have more carefully considered criticism of an instructor. Even then large amounts of salt are required, for positive and negative ratings.

08-24-2006 03:56 PM

I'd like to direct everybody here to take a class with Dr. Cole. His ethics classes are some of the best classes offered at Drew, hands down. He also talks with a southern accent, and is secretly a very big fan of Japanese movies.

08-24-2006 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emily Smykla
FYI: Drew made Princetonreview's "Teachers Get High Marks" category on their best schools list this year. We're #19 :)

very cool:p

Kevin P. Egan 08-24-2006 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry W. Coates
I'd like to direct everybody here to take a class with Dr. Cole. His ethics classes are some of the best classes offered at Drew, hands down. He also talks with a southern accent, and is secretly a very big fan of Japanese movies.

I gotta agree with Henry on this one, Dr. Cole has got to be the second best professor I've had at Drew. His in class examples are something that should be recorded in all notes, not because they will be on test, but simply because they are great stories to tell later on.

08-24-2006 09:36 PM

Quote:

I have Smith-Wright for English 9! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meaghan E. Bratichak
i double the recommendation on boglioli... and i'll add jamieson, kuntz, and yordan

And I have Jamieson for my FYS.

08-24-2006 10:21 PM

Quote:

I have Valdez, Occhipint, Talentino, Jamieson, and one more (I'll have to check on that one)

aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh Italian!!!! The program here has really grown with the arrival with Occhipinti. He's a really cool guy. A push-over even. He's always looking for feedback and wants to be fair. He's really cool!

08-24-2006 10:23 PM

Quote:

I have Valdez, Occhipint, Talentino, Jamieson, and one more (I'll have to check on that one)

haha oh occhipinti... i did my entire italian minor with him, and spent 4 weeks with him in venice this summer. hes a character. i cant even begin to explain him.

08-25-2006 07:04 PM

How is Prof. Talentino?

08-28-2006 01:56 PM

How are Inskeep, Bonnefoi, Nair, Lakin, and Lowrey?

08-28-2006 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kristen M. Shubeck
How are Inskeep, Bonnefoi, Nair, Lakin, and Lowrey?

Lakin LOVES work. But she definitely makes her classes worthwhile. Don't fall behind in her class

08-29-2006 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meaghan E. Bratichak

woot i have yordan

08-29-2006 11:09 PM

Lakin teaches Psychology right?

08-29-2006 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yaroslava Goncharova
Lakin teaches Psychology right?

a-yup, that she does.

09-02-2006 12:04 AM

I love the English dept. professors more than life itself. I saw someone on here has Valdez -- he's so cool. Sometimes he's a little vague but he just wants to make his students think on their own and come up with their own ideas.

Everyone needs to take a class with Martha Butler because she'll change your life. And Professor Hala. He'll make you dance with joy. I LOVE ENGLISH

09-03-2006 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amanda L. Brennan
I love the English dept. professors more than life itself. I saw someone on here has Valdez -- he's so cool. Sometimes he's a little vague but he just wants to make his students think on their own and come up with their own ideas.

Everyone needs to take a class with Martha Butler because she'll change your life. And Professor Hala. He'll make you dance with joy. I LOVE ENGLISH

i agree, but preferred when the department was in SW Bowne :( i could just stop in and visit people after class. sitterly is never on my way anywhere!

09-04-2006 01:22 AM

IT'S ON YOUR WAY TO TOE (eventually)

09-04-2006 06:47 PM

Quote:

IT'S ON YOUR WAY TO TOE (eventually)

english professors and nachos? i approve!

Kevin P. Egan 09-04-2006 07:13 PM

Quote:

english professors and nachos? i approve!

I rate all my professor based on whether or not they like nachos. But since I've never actually asked a prof whether or not they like it, I have had all bad professors at drew.

09-04-2006 10:22 PM

Some professors have a strange affinity for them. I know all their secrets.

Golbanou Tabatabaie 11-02-2006 03:18 PM

Quote:

Some professors have a strange affinity for them. I know all their secrets.

I know all of your secrets.