Drew Community

Drew Community (https://community.drew.edu//index.php)
-   Gripes (https://community.drew.edu//forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Fix these things (https://community.drew.edu//showthread.php?t=1091)

02-11-2008 05:00 PM

Fix these things

Things to do on the weekend like hikes, biking, or walking, not just club specific. More single girls! Spend some of the butt loads of money on a rock wall in the gym. Water to drink in the gym? Hasleton first has no lounge. The U.C. is crap, I dont want an enema everytime I sit on a couch. The snack bar employees are jerks. Since when have hamburger buns become a rare find. Im sick of hamburgers on white bread. The commons are pretty good. Where is the parking for underclassmen with jobs? The desks in BC feel like they are from the turn of the century and dont accomodate anyone over 5 feet tall. Also, I feel so bad for anyone living in Tolley Brown. Place for kids to socialize i.e. a n awesome U.C. If some of these thingswere changed maybe so many kids wouldnt be tempted to transfer or go home on the weekends.

02-11-2008 06:26 PM

And more equipment in the gym... 2 ellipticals is not enough for 1600+ undergrads (that's not even counting grad/theo students and professors!!!)! Also, get new treadmills or fix the old ones! I'm tired of seeing one constantly broken when I go to the gym.

Mike Richichi 02-11-2008 08:41 PM

They are at least fixing Tolley/Brown this summer.

http://www.drew.edu/construction/TolleyBrown.aspx

Ethan G. Marsh 02-12-2008 03:43 PM

-I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure Drew doesn't have any policies against hiking/walking/biking on the weekends. You're welcome to do these things whenever you want. If you want someone else to organize it for you... well, maybe someone involved in an appropriate organization is reading this thread and will start something up, but if you don't want to count on that happening, you'll have to make some inquiries on your own. There used to be an outdoors club or something like that, but I don't know if it's still active. Generally these things depend on student interest. If you can generate it, you can often find support. If not, well...

-There's not really anything Drew can do about the apparent lack of single girls. Besides, the female to male ratio is near 60-40, I don't know what more you can ask for.

-A rock wall in the gym would be cool, but I think your request for better desks is a higher priority. I have heard rumblings of efforts to get some new furniture in the classrooms, but I don't know the status of that effort. Perhaps the SGA could be convinced to make some inquiries, if they're not already doing so. You could also go to Pres. Weisbuck's open office hours some week and raise the issue. He is very responsive to student concerns, and the more people complain about it, the faster the response will be.

-I'm not sure your difficulties in getting a hamburger bun at the snack bar are a result of the employees being "jerks". I could be wrong, but while the job skills and english speaking ability of the snackbar employess may be a matter of debate, I've never observed them to be mean or unhelpful.

-I'm on board with most of the rest of your complaints. The New Dorm (due to open in Spring 09) will have a very cool first floor which should be a good place to socialize, and the renovated Tolley-Brown lounge (due to be completed this summer) will also be very nice, so this might somewhat allieviate the need for a new UC, which would be several years away at best.

-There is nothing that can be done about your parking complaint, really. The town will not let the school develop enough additional land to produce enough parking for all the underclassmen who would want it, even if the University decided that creating new parking is a priority (unlikely, considering the dire need for additional/improved faculty/staff office space, to say nothing of needs for a new UC and Science Building).

02-12-2008 08:42 PM

good points.
I hear this is a new contract with a food company so it's going to take some time getting use to. I also hear that the last group was a heck of a lot better. I'm hoping we can get some different menu items at the snack bar soon for us picky eaters. The pizza, in plain English, suck's worse then Ellio's frozen slices -- wait I like ellio's -- and the chicken patties for the sandwiches begin to taste frost bitten after a while. No idea what they put in the fryer -- No salt needed. I for one don't use salt on my fries -- or much of it anytime else -- but there is definitely something in that grease.

I don't live on campus so I can't say anything about the dorms except that I sympathize with you. I've lived in some pretty nasty places over the years but you need to realize that you do have it good right now and supposedly it will get better. Be optimistic about it. Laugh at it. It gets easier. But you can't have egg in your beer at every occasion.

The Caf isn't half bad...still, same pizza, same chicken....although, the pasta is ok.

The number one complaint I hear from classmates who do live on campus is that there is NO toilet paper being sold at the book store. They have the deodorant, the tampons, the shampoo, the headache pills...but no TP.

For commuters:
How about a petition to NJ transit for a bus stop in front of campus...and/or get shuttles to go between the train and campus. The buses pass right by campus so there's no redirecting routes. God forbid my car breaks down. I for one can not make that hike due to physical difficulties and excess baggage. Besides that, the taxi's are way over priced for a students piggy bank. I feel bad for anyone who does have to make that trek on a daily basis.

The shuttle and bus stop would also be good for on campus students who want to get away for a few hours or days without having to make the walk into town in in-climate weather to catch it.

02-13-2008 08:08 AM

Hi,

My name is Mike, I am the new retail manager of the snack bar. This response is to Thomas's comment about the snack bar employees. I am sorry if you had a problem with my employees. I would really like to meet you in person and resolve any issues you might have with this institution, with regard to rude employyes and the bread situation in grill. Thank you and have a nice day.

02-13-2008 10:38 AM

How about Drew fixes the damn paths. How is it possible that there is no drainage?? There are huge puddles everywhere, and it's soooooo annoying!

Jason R. Howe 02-13-2008 01:21 PM

Yes, it certainly would have been nice if the slush was shoveled, and drains unclogged this morning...we all knew what the weather was going to do today.

The 6 inch deep puddles currently in front of BC, between Library and Hoyt, next to Tipple Pond, and behind SW Bowne is a little ridiculous, and makes traversing campus a bit of a hassle.

Samuel J. Scribner 02-13-2008 04:15 PM

Agreed.

We all hear that. But what about the other things that need fixing like the lack of sound-proofing in DOYO's "practice rooms" and the occasional outburst of illness from Sodexho's marvelous cuisine?:confused:

02-17-2008 10:07 PM

soda machine in Snack Bar

The tap that give water in one of the snack bars soda dispenser leaks water. I noticed last week, and when I went in to get water tonight it was still leaking. Please fix it to save on water consumption please!