Drew Community

Drew Community (https://community.drew.edu//index.php)
-   The Other End (https://community.drew.edu//forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   TOE Status Report (https://community.drew.edu//showthread.php?t=305)

Andrew A. Elliott 10-04-2005 03:01 PM

TOE Status Report

Hey all,

This is the skinny on TOE and the imminent renovation of Sitterly house.

TOE IS NOT CLOSING ITS DOORS FOREVER.

However, renovations will be occuring in the near future that will probably call for a temporary closure at some time. These renovations will help TOE in the long run by making sure that it is a safe environment (electrical, fire safety, etc) and by making the venue ADA compliant. (For the uninitiated...ADA is the American Disability Act, which makes sure that hanicapped individuals have free and equal access to all places that others do.)

We will be having a meeting soon with facilities, the English department, the architect, and the student leadership of TOE to discuss the impact of these renovations.

We will keep you posted.

Best,

Kevin P. Egan 10-05-2005 02:16 AM

Thats great, Toe is a good place to relax and unwind after work and to hang out w/ friends playing the UNgame. it has its downs (live performers w/ electric guitars playing way too loud for such a small enclosed space....guarenteed hearing loss with any lengthly period of time) but its benefits far outweigh the cons.

10-05-2005 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin P. Egan
Thats great, Toe is a good place to relax and unwind after work and to hang out w/ friends playing the UNgame. it has its downs (live performers w/ electric guitars playing way too loud for such a small enclosed space....guarenteed hearing loss with any lengthly period of time) but its benefits far outweigh the cons.

You complimented TOE this week. Take a trip to the Compliment Chalet.

They need to get new board games down there....and ones with full pieces...

10-05-2005 03:07 PM

of course, it doesn't help when people take the cards from the ungame.

Russell W. Sprague 10-05-2005 03:24 PM

You should play 1000 Blank White Cards. It's fun.

Kevin P. Egan 10-05-2005 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zachary C. Kanfer
of course, it doesn't help when people take the cards from the ungame.

But that helps the game fulfill its purpose of being....un.....
Think of it, all other games have cards and people get upset when said cards are stolen. With the UNgame, it creates an opportunity for more UNgameness!

10-05-2005 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russ

I do want to play that at some point, but I haven't gotten around to convincing people to/actually understanding it/getting notecards.

10-05-2005 06:08 PM

Quote:

I do want to play that at some point, but I haven't gotten around to convincing people to/actually understanding it/getting notecards.

Andrew had actually told me about that; I would be willing to try it and I have index cards in my room.

10-05-2005 08:31 PM

we would need a lot of index cards.

but yeah, we should do it. Now I've been reading about the game, and I'm more excited.

Kevin P. Egan 10-05-2005 08:57 PM

Quote:

we would need a lot of index cards.

but yeah, we should do it. Now I've been reading about the game, and I'm more excited.

But to be honest, you get excited with just about anything you read on wikipedia. Maybe there's a thrill to reading wikipedia/uncyclopedia that I am just not getting

10-05-2005 10:14 PM

No, I get excited about wikipedia in general. that's because the concept is really cool, and to have it be a semi-reliable source is wonderful.

and uncyclopedia is funny, sometimes.

10-05-2005 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell W. Sprague

I LOVE THAT GAME AND WOULD BE SO DOWN WITH PLAYING IT WHILE I WORK.

So uh. I like the deafeningly loud music in TOE because I can't go see bands at home so by giving me the power to book them, I bring the music to me. Suffer!!!

10-06-2005 04:07 AM

emphasis on "deafeningly loud." I mean, the acoustics there are really not conducive for bands that like to play their music any louder than regular talking volume.

Kevin P. Egan 10-10-2005 03:25 AM

Quote:

emphasis on "deafeningly loud." I mean, the acoustics there are really not conducive for bands that like to play their music any louder than regular talking volume.

I agree, last weekend I was in there and a band was playing using electric guitars and amplifiers. In a normal venue, this would be fine, but in TOE the noise was to a point where conversation was impossible and it was just plain uncomfortable to be in TOE. Normally you can just ignore a band you dont like, but even standing in the doorway it was so loud we felt the need to leave to seek relief from the noise.

10-10-2005 07:47 PM

Paul Brubaker was last weekend. I'm pretty sure you're talking about two weekends ago, with Tonight, We Dance and A Love Like Pi.

That show was really loud, but we're definitely sound checking earlier when they come back on the 22nd for the TOE Halloween Fest to adjust the volume, but I didn't think it was that bad. It was nothing compared to the sound in a place like Hamilton Street or Bloomfield Ave cafés which are both about the same size. Suck it up !!! ;)

Golbanou Tabatabaie 10-11-2005 10:32 AM

If it's too loud, you're too old!

I dream of TOE nachos....aye que rico.

10-11-2005 10:39 PM

aiight, another reason not to go to TOE then.

Rian D. Spivak 10-12-2005 11:42 AM

Back when I was student.. *grin*

I used to go to TOE on the study nights (I don't know if they still do these) and game nights and it was quiet to have that conversation or just hang out. When I wanted to see something I expected it to be loud, it's just like any other small venue, you have trouble talking and it's loud. That's pretty much to be expected at a small concert.

I like the small venues since you can get really close to the performers and it seems like you can get a little more into the show.

It's really of what you're expecting when you go down there.. Don't go on a night there is performers expecting a quiet crowd and vice versa.

10-12-2005 04:14 PM

If I go there on a performer's night, I'm not expecting to be able to whisper, but I'm not really wanting to have to yell in someone's ear to communicate.

Kevin P. Egan 10-13-2005 04:22 PM

Quote:

If I go there on a performer's night, I'm not expecting to be able to whisper, but I'm not really wanting to have to yell in someone's ear to communicate.

Mostly when I go on a performers night, I'm not really wanting to have to yell in someones ear to communicate after we leave the venue b/c it was so loud, the person has tinnitus.

Rian D. Spivak 10-14-2005 01:48 PM

Having gone to many random bars with performers, that's just the name of the game as far as small venues that were not really designed for musical acts in mind. It's really a "you need to go outside to talk" kind of thing.

It's usually difficult enough to order a beer from the bartender much less trying to have any kind of conversation.

10-14-2005 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rian Spivak
It's usually difficult enough to order a beer from the bartender...

especially at TOE.

Rian D. Spivak 10-14-2005 05:54 PM

Well maybe a root beer.. ;)

Russell W. Sprague 10-15-2005 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rian Spivak
It's usually difficult enough to order a beer from the bartender much less trying to have any kind of conversation.

There's plenty of ways around this. Pointing at a nearby bottle, tap pull, or sign (just like in the commercials) works fairly well. If you're going for something more exotic, pull out your oldschool charades skills. Eventually, you'll be able to order four shots of José Cuervo Especial with salt and limes, a Mojito, two Hoegaardens (one with orange, one with lemon), and a Skyy and Tonic with lime while Fear Factory plays feet away.

Rian D. Spivak 10-17-2005 04:19 PM

Indeed Russ. Which I think points out that it isn't unusual that TOE has the same problem than any other small/medium size venue that wasn't designed with music in mind.

Just one of those things that if there's a band playing don't expect it to be not ear shatteringly loud.