Drew Community

Drew Community (https://community.drew.edu//index.php)
-   Current CLA students (https://community.drew.edu//forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Buying books (https://community.drew.edu//showthread.php?t=570)

08-05-2006 05:36 PM

Buying books
 
I have another question, haha.

I was looking at drewbooks.com, and it doesn't seem like any of the textbooks that are being sold are the correct editions I need, according to the bookstore. Is there really a big difference between 1 or 2 editions of the same textbook? In other words, would it matter if I bought the 6th or 7th edition ('cause it was cheaper) when I was supposed to get the 8th?

Also, is the bookstore correct in listing only one book for Intro to Psychology?

Anastasia Q. Sailer 08-05-2006 06:08 PM

I wrote an email to the OC about a month ago and they said it's probabaly a good idea to wait and buy books after you get to school and that way ur moved in and know for sure what books you need.

08-05-2006 06:48 PM

hrm...i'd stick with the edition listed, sadly enough. with fields like soc and psych and anth, especially, you're going to have lots of new field data and case studies in the newer editions - especially when the publishing dates are five and ten years apart. i know it's painful, but check out amazon and ebay and half.com and you SHOULD be able to find the books for at least slightly less than the cover price.

as for waiting, there are pros and cons to that strategy. pros - sometimes professors change what books are needed, and you don't want to end up buying more than you need. this hasn't ever happened to me, but i know people it has happened to.

cons - if you wait TOO long, the cheap books will have all been scarfed up and you'll end up paying full price anyway. or they won't arrive until a week or two into classes, and in many classes, you'll need all your books from the first day onward. i prefer to start early and grab all of my books for ridiculously low prices. and remember - when you're done with them, you can always sell them [but NEVER to the bookstore unless you want to be royally ripped off]. also, rest assured knowing that, unless you're going to be a science major, prices for books generally go down the higher level classes you take. intro level classes want you to have textbooks that cost a fortune - upper level classes generally require one or two $15 novel-length books. as with many things, it gets easier as you go along :)

08-05-2006 08:24 PM

I used Amazon. I saved a bit of money. But some books I got from the bookstore

08-05-2006 08:43 PM

see above post. only use the drew bookstore as a last resort.

Ciara B. Perez 08-05-2006 11:56 PM

Should we wait to get our books when we are in orientation or should we go to Drew with them in hand?

08-06-2006 01:41 AM

You can get your books during orientation, or even after. There's certainly time. IIRC, the bookstore is open extra hours for a few days, to let people get books easier. Of course, if you buy them from the bookstore, you will be paying extra as compared to amazon or half.com or barnesandnoble.com.

08-06-2006 03:22 AM

Just a little advice... I've had pretty good luck at getting the right books for classes ahead of time. What I usually do is go to drew.bkstr.com to find out what the title and author of the books plus the edition of the book I need for the class. Once I have the name of the the book and the author I head to amazon.com and search using the book title plus the author's name. Once you are there just look for the appropriate edition. Once you find the book look for the ISBN number. This is very helpful since you can search for books at half.com by just searching via the book's ISBN number. The ISBN number is specific to the edition so there is no reason you should get an earlier editions in your searches. I suggested half.com cause they seem to have the cheapest prices but at www.cheapestteextbooks.com, it will search different websites that include amazon.com and half.com so you should be able to find a good priced book. I know this is a little complicated... but it has worked for me.

08-06-2006 10:02 AM

Hi everyone,
I was told by many ppl to use amazon.com, and I'm DEFINITELY glad I did. I bought all my books used from amazon, and ended up paying only $79.95 for 15 BOOKS!!!! I'm trying not to be too excited, b/c I'm sure that this just means next semester I'll be spending about $500 on texts. I guess I just lucked out this time. I would recomend that everyone check out the used sellers on amazon. After you type in the books you need, there will be a link that shows how many copies are available used from amazon-approved sellers. The great things is you can order from as many different used sellers as you want, and you only give your credit info to amazon, which then distributes all the seperate payments. That way, you don't have a bunch of small businesses all over with your credit info. Just thought I'd share... -stacy

Ryan LaCasse 08-06-2006 01:06 PM

Heyyy, I have a question. I went to drew.bkstr.com and entered the division, department, course, and section of my class (Engl 9, section 2), and it said there was "no information received for this course," but then I searched section 1 of the same course, and it had books listed...are the books the same for each section or do I have to wait until all sections have their books posted to be sure?

08-06-2006 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Francesca Caputo
i have a question about a couple of my books. i'm in poli-sci 8, political ideologies, and i have to buy a zillion little books. i'm trying to get them on amazon, and i just want to know if the translators are important. in the drew bookstore a specific translator is listed with some book titles, but i can't find them on amazon. does it really matter, or should i just buy them through drew? thanks!


I would just buy them from Drew. I checked out the books you need, and even though there's a lot of them, they're all cheap. You probably wouldn't get them much cheaper elsewhere, especially when you factor in shipping and handling (if you order from Drew, you can just pick them up at the bookstore before classes start, so no s&h costs...ordering from amazon, even if you find good deals, can be pricey, since, if you order from several different people, you're gonna be paying a few bucks for each for shipping). So, for small paperbacks like that, I'd say just go with Drew. It's much less of a hassle and it's not a ripoff after all is said and done. Plus, that way you can rest assured you'll have the right editions and everything if it actually is important.

08-06-2006 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber LaCasse
Heyyy, I have a question. I went to drew.bkstr.com and entered the division, department, course, and section of my class (Engl 9, section 2), and it said there was "no information received for this course," but then I searched section 1 of the same course, and it had books listed...are the books the same for each section or do I have to wait until all sections have their books posted to be sure?


Each section of the course is taught by a different professor, and each professor uses different books to teach his/her class. I would definitely wait until your specific section's books are posted.

08-06-2006 01:56 PM

Oh yeah, and ALWAYS request used books from Drew. They might not have all of them and they might give you some new, but always say you want used if available.

John D. Holcomb 08-06-2006 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Francesca Caputo
a specific translator is listed with some book titles, but i can't find them on amazon. does it really matter?


Specific Books can make a major difference or none at all, A few years Ago in a financial management class, half the kids had to get the early edition of the book because the college had a backorder on the book, the teacher had a lot of trouble teaching out of two books because the two editions where so different. So my suggestion is to get the specific edition your teacher asks for, every time.

08-08-2006 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dia O'Neil
hrm...i'd stick with the edition listed, sadly enough. with fields like soc and psych and anth, especially, you're going to have lots of new field data and case studies in the newer editions - especially when the publishing dates are five and ten years apart. i know it's painful, but check out amazon and ebay and half.com and you SHOULD be able to find the books for at least slightly less than the cover price.


What iiiiiiif... I needed the 7th editon of a sociology book, and online it's going for $40 (used), yet the 6th edition is $7? Haha...

ETA: who can we email about bookstore-related queries?

08-08-2006 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackie DiLorenzo
What iiiiiiif... I needed the 7th editon of a sociology book, and online it's going for $40 (used), yet the 6th edition is $7? Haha...

ETA: who can we email about bookstore-related queries?


painful, isn't it? :-/ i mean, you can always try your luck and just tell the professor you were sent the wrong edition, and hope that he/she understands and says it's okay, or that you find someone who will share, or that it's not THAT different. but i'd say that, since it's a soc book, there will be a lot of differences between them, and you WILL use it often [unlike in, say, a comp sci class where the book costs about $80 and you NEVER use it...glad i got a good deal on mine]. remember, it's only $7 because no one uses it anymore :-p

as for bookstore queries...i'm not really sure. it's probably on the bookstore site somewhere? you could probably find someone here to answer it, though. the bookstore's pretty predictable, heehee.

08-08-2006 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dia O'Neil
painful, isn't it? :-/ i mean, you can always try your luck and just tell the professor you were sent the wrong edition, and hope that he/she understands and says it's okay, or that you find someone who will share, or that it's not THAT different. but i'd say that, since it's a soc book, there will be a lot of differences between them, and you WILL use it often [unlike in, say, a comp sci class where the book costs about $80 and you NEVER use it...glad i got a good deal on mine]. remember, it's only $7 because no one uses it anymore :-p

as for bookstore queries...i'm not really sure. it's probably on the bookstore site somewhere? you could probably find someone here to answer it, though. the bookstore's pretty predictable, heehee.


I need the ISBN number for a book called Muhammed... I searched it on Amazon and got, oh, five trillion results. Also, the 3rd edition of a book that's listed doesn't seem to exist... and another book I can't find anywhere.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessica Glickman
Also, it's going to be a pain in the ass if the pages are differently numbered which they probably are. I started buying my books, all on half.com, and ive still spent about 140 on three books.... thank you science classes....


Go half.com. I'm at around $140 on 8 books... which is truly awesome. But yeah, good point about page numbering.

08-08-2006 03:20 PM

hahaha. wow, sounds like you've got quite a crop of books there.

doesn't it tell the author so you can distinguish one muhammad from another? if not, actually, i would email the professors themselves, not the bookstore. i doubt the bookstore would even know that information, but the professor listing the books should be able to help.

08-08-2006 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackie DiLorenzo
I need the ISBN number for a book called Muhammed... I searched it on Amazon and got, oh, five trillion results.


ISBN for Muhammad=0-19-287605-8
I'm assuming that's the Michael Cook one, yes?
Just make sure that's the right edition (I think there's only one). Good class, btw. I took it last year and really enjoyed it. Great professor, too. Just make sure you write very detailed papers. Are you thinking of minoring or majoring in middle eastern studies?

08-08-2006 03:24 PM

middle eastern studies = awesome!

08-08-2006 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin R. Shedlock
ISBN for Muhammad=0-19-287605-8
I'm assuming that's the Michael Cook one, yes?
Just make sure that's the right edition (I think there's only one). Good class, btw. I took it last year and really enjoyed it. Great professor, too. Just make sure you write very detailed papers. Are you thinking of minoring or majoring in middle eastern studies?


Yes! Thanks.

Nope, it's to fill the religion requirement. (Then again, who knows, because I don't have a clue about majors anymore.) I thought it sounded really interesting, and it'll make me one less "ignorant American", haha.

What kind of details? As in, no sweeping generalizations or statements that aren't backed up?

08-08-2006 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackie DiLorenzo
What kind of details? As in, no sweeping generalizations or statements that aren't backed up?

To some extent, you'll have to feel that out for yourself. But for what it's worth, if you feel like you're half-assing one of his papers, you'll get a grade that reflects that. THis class was my first foray into college writing, and a paper that would have gotten me an A in high school got me a B-...... Don't worry about it, just don't finish the paper at 5 AM like I did, having only started it that night ;-)

08-09-2006 11:01 PM

Does anyone have any idea what this means? PSYCHOLOGY W/PSYCHXL & SG PK

I found Psychology, by Ciccarelli, but what is "W/PSYCHXL & SG PK"? I don't want to buy the book elsewhere if it turns out I needed some kind of full package...

08-14-2006 09:07 PM

Yeah, you'll love him. He's an excellent professor and a genuinely nice person. Are you going to take arabic or hebrew for the lang. requirement?

08-14-2006 09:12 PM

arabic arabic! take arabic!!

*goes back into her linguistic hole*

08-14-2006 11:03 PM

same thing happened to me with greek [learned enough to read signs while in athens, but i'll be damned it i remember much now] and phonetics [which might as well be a different language]. trying to learn the alphabet just as an alphabet and not a part of the language itself is damn hard. when i started teaching myself sanskrit back in ninth grade, it took me WEEKS to even get a basic foothold on the letters. then when i started teaching myself hindi last year, i learned the alphabet AND the language together, and i was spelling with ease in four days. no joke. once you have sentences to spell out and grammar to learn, you will start to recognize what characters/strokes are used more often than others [much like someone learning to write in english realizes very quickly that "e" is used a LOT more often than, say, "x"] and they will start to imprint themselves in your mind. so keep trying, because it can only help, but just know that once you start actually delving into the meat of the language, you'll start to get it much more quickly :)

08-15-2006 02:11 AM

Don't even worry about the sounds. Things like ا ب ت ج م ل are pretty straightforward sounds, but you won't get ghayn (غ) or ayn (ع) until you've been practicing for a while, so don't bother. Even just knowing the letters and how to form them is a couple weeks' worth of a jump. Everything you do is extra, and it will get reinforced in class. It gets easier. It's an orderly language. And the letters are not as exact as the books make you think. A little bowl shape with a dot somewhere in the general vicinity is as accurate as you need to be.

08-15-2006 02:14 AM

And Dia, you just want more people to play with. You and your ulterior motives...

08-15-2006 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marnie Valdivia
wow thanks you guys are the best haha so after making it through the intermediate Arabic courses too will i actually be able to speak and understand Arabic? i plan on spending a lot of time in the Middle East in the future so it's going to be really important.. also i plan on continuing with Spanish in the spring (i'm just about fluent so i don't think it will screw me up) but should i start another language before i'm done with Arabic or is it easy to get confused?


Don't make any firm plans either way. See what works for you and do what you want to do.

As for ability to speak and understand, I"ve only taken one semester and other people have taken more, so I'm not the best person to know that. However, it really does return what you put into it, so the more you focus on it, the better you'll be.

08-15-2006 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marnie Valdivia
wow thanks you guys are the best haha so after making it through the intermediate Arabic courses too will i actually be able to speak and understand Arabic? i plan on spending a lot of time in the Middle East in the future so it's going to be really important.. also i plan on continuing with Spanish in the spring (i'm just about fluent so i don't think it will screw me up) but should i start another language before i'm done with Arabic or is it easy to get confused?


honestly? spanish and arabic will be no problem because they're so different [one's indo-european the other is semitic]. if you decide to take a third language, try something from another family, like chinese or japanese. if you decided to take, say, spanish and italian at the same time, while a lot of the grammar might be familiar, the vocabulary is SO similar that you'd probably be more confused than if you had taken something absurd like quechuan or whatever, haha. it really depends on you. i'm taking spanish and hindi now, and next semester will be taking telegu, and the semester after will start arabic. take it at your own pace.

but ben's right - you get what you put into it. if you want to be able to speak fluent arabic, get a tutor, put in the extra work, and do it yourself. just taking classes won't magically transform you into a fluent speaker ;)

08-15-2006 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dia O'Neil
arabic arabic! take arabic!!

*goes back into her linguistic hole*


I wanted to take Arabic for the language requirement (I'm tired of French) but I heard it was insanely difficult... and I figured I need to know some Spanish in general, so... I don't know.

08-15-2006 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackie DiLorenzo
I wanted to take Arabic for the language requirement (I'm tired of French) but I heard it was insanely difficult... and I figured I need to know some Spanish in general, so... I don't know.


it's only "difficult" because it has no historical relation to english and is rigidly guarded by language regulations...but you should take it! branch out from the romance language stranglehold! although i do agree - knowing some spanish IS very useful in the usa, and i personally think it's very important to learn *nod*

that didn't help at all, did it?

08-15-2006 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dia O'Neil
it's only "difficult" because it has no historical relation to english and is rigidly guarded by language regulations...but you should take it! branch out from the romance language stranglehold! although i do agree - knowing some spanish IS very useful in the usa, and i personally think it's very important to learn *nod*

that didn't help at all, did it?



hahaha two of my minors are latin and italian... clearly i am stuck in the strangle

08-15-2006 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meaghan E. Bratichak
hahaha two of my minors are latin and italian... clearly i am stuck in the strangle


'sokay...those are good languages to be strangled by :D

08-15-2006 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackie DiLorenzo
I wanted to take Arabic for the language requirement (I'm tired of French) but I heard it was insanely difficult... and I figured I need to know some Spanish in general, so... I don't know.


It's only difficult because people look at it and see a bunch of squiggles. However, each letter has its own unique sound, unlike english (the "TH" in the vs. three, which are separate in arabic, and "TIO" vs. "SH" in words like contrucTION and SHUN). Also, the verb "to be" is assumed, and for me, etre was a hard part of learning french. It's not as difficult as everyone says. It's orderly.

And who says you need to know spanish? Don't arabic speaking populations affect the US as much as spanish speaking ones?

08-15-2006 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin R. Shedlock
And who says you need to know spanish? Don't arabic speaking populations affect the US as much as spanish speaking ones?


well, actually, not as much ;) arabic IS up and coming and very important, but spanish is encroaching upon english as a second major language in the USA. if you look at the history of language change between the two languages, english has been affected in recent days a LOT more by spanish than by arabic, and vice versa.

08-15-2006 10:07 PM

is a arabic a hard language to learn?

08-15-2006 10:17 PM

i guess that was kind of asnwered above, but it seems really interesting to learn. I'm currently scheudled to take italian, but i dont know about that anymore. So honestly is arabic hard to learn, esp if you have no prior knowledge of it?

08-15-2006 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camille Gallo
i guess that was kind of asnwered above, but it seems really interesting to learn. I'm currently scheudled to take italian, but i dont know about that anymore. So honestly is arabic hard to learn, esp if you have no prior knowledge of it?


I think that yes, it is rated among the more difficult languages to learn [this, of course, coming from a native English-speaking standpoint - if you were a native speaker of, say, Hebrew, it might be SLIGHTLY easier]. But any language is hard to learn after about the age of 6.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.5.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Drew University is not responsible for the content of posts made on this site. All posts and comments reflect the opinion of the author.