Drew Community

Drew Community (https://community.drew.edu//index.php)
-   Technology Discussion (https://community.drew.edu//forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Sprint cell service (https://community.drew.edu//showthread.php?t=5770)

James A. Matarrese 05-23-2011 03:15 PM

Sprint cell service

Anyone here have one of Sprint's new 4G phones? I'm thinking of jumping ship from Verizon and I'd like to know how well Sprint works on campus. I had T-Mobile before and I got no service when I went into buildings, so I'd prefer not to have a repeat performance. Thanks, all.

Wayne B. Hunter 05-24-2011 08:29 AM

Not sure how the coverage is for Sprint 4G but the campus distributed antenna system in the res halls only supports Verizon and AT&T at this time.

Krista White 05-24-2011 08:51 AM

James,

I got out of my Sprint contract 2 years ago without any penalties because I could not get adequate reception in BC and other Drew buildings on campus. At that time, Sprint didn't have enough towers to properly cover the area. They may have fixed the issue by now.

Their coverage map says that voice coverage is good, but that 4G is not available at 36 Madison Ave, Madison, NJ right now. You can put the Drew address in and take a look here:
http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.js...anity:coverage

Giovannie Santiago 05-25-2011 12:39 AM

My friend currently has Sprint on campus and getting in touch with her is difficult. There is little to no service in BC, the library and T/B. On the other hand I have AT&T and have not had an issue with cellular service.

Jordan R. Stamper 05-25-2011 07:48 PM

Sprint service on campus is awful. It was a trial having it for four years (since I was on a family contract) in every building I was in. Stick with Verizon.

James A. Matarrese 06-02-2011 01:39 PM

Guess I'll have to stick with Verizon. I refuse to go to AT&T, and if Sprint's service is that bad, I'll just have to wait until I graduate to switch to them. The cheap data and true 4G (as opposed to AT&T and T-Mobile's pseudo-4G) had me excited for a second, but I guess not.

Benjamin M. Rothman 10-12-2011 01:26 PM

Yeah, I have AT&T also, and I used to have Verizon.. I didn't get cell reception in any dorm building, the commons or the library... and the wifi is very weak in those places aswell.

From the other posts, we can see that Sprint, AT&T and Verizon do not have great coverage.. Is there anyone out there who has a different cell carrier that can tell us about there phone has great coverage here?

Nextel
T-Mobile
Boost Mobile
Virgin Mobile
Alltel
Helio
theres probably more, but you get the point.. anyone?

Ethan G. Marsh 10-19-2011 09:35 AM

Benjamin, as of last year, most of the dorm buildings have an in-building Distributed Antenna System (DAS) which provides good coverage for AT&T and Verizon customers. The system is not perfect, and some AT&T customers in particular report an abnormal number of dropped calls, but in general it does work, and we rarely receive complaints from Verizon customers about coverage in a building that has DAS. It may be that your experience with poor Verizon coverage predated the installation of this system. The system also does not cover Asbury, Hoyt, Wendel or Tipple.

James started this thread by saying coverage with T-mobile was not good, and as a former T-mobile customer I can also say that it's not great on campus, though it probably is better than sprint in most cases.

As for the other carriers you mentioned, most are either part of one of the "big 4" (Alltel is mostly owned by Verizon, Helio is owned by Virgin Mobile) or they operate on another carrier's network (Virgin Mobile and Boost Mobile both use Sprint's network).

The only exception might be Nextel, which is part of Sprint but still has a separate network infrastructure. It's possible Nextel coverage on campus is amazing. However, their network is very small and I believe Sprint is planning to phase it out entirely in the not-to-distant future, so even if they did have good on-campus coverage I'm not sure it would be worthwhile to switch.