Drew Community

Drew Community (https://community.drew.edu//index.php)
-   Announcements & General Discussion (https://community.drew.edu//forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Sodexho (https://community.drew.edu//showthread.php?t=772)

Jason R. Howe 06-19-2007 10:40 AM

Sodexho

Well, as today is Sodexho's first day on campus, I decided to test the waters.

It turns out that they brew Green Mountian coffee which, of course, is pretty good.

I also decided to get a breakfast sandwich instead of my requisite muffin, because let's face it, most muffins are created equal.

I went over to the grill, and found none of the crappy premade-three-hours-ago-and-now-cold-eventhough-they're-under-a-hotlamp sandwiches. Instead I ordered a bacon Egg and Cheese at the grill. A pleasant fellow asked me if I'd like it on a Kaiser Roll or English Muffin. Naturally I said a Kaiser Roll because English Muffins make inferior egg sandwhiches.

I must say, the sandwich was pretty good, especially compared to the breakfast sandwiches that Aramark used to try to pass off as edible. Having it made fresh + the Kaiser roll made all the difference in the world...now we need to get them to carry Taylor Ham (Pork Roll for you central/south jerseyans) (extremely yummy to all those who don't know what the hell I'm talking about).

07-17-2007 02:41 AM

Ooh, how is the food service working out? Good/bad? Upgrade/downgrade? Are there any major changes we should be prepared for?

Paul R. Coen 07-18-2007 02:04 PM

It's been good. The Soylent Green is especially good on crackers, and seems quite nutritious.

Just kidding - any food I've had at events, etc. has been fine. I suspect they're still working out logistics, but so far the cutover seems uneventful.

08-24-2007 01:09 AM

To be fair, before Sodexho the food was generally decent on first days and event-days (specifically when parents were coming). So i'm still retaining my doubts. Give it a couple weeks once the entire student-body is on campus and has had enough time to give the new company a run through its food.

Regardless, college food is supposed to be low-quality. It's part of college life.

08-28-2007 10:09 PM

That's patently absurd. There's no reason to have low quality food because "it's part of college life." What, are you Calvin's dad, arguing that camping in a rainstorm is good because "suffering builds character"?

09-01-2007 08:01 PM

I'm a firm believer that hardships, "suffering", builds character. I certainly don't see luxury and ease of lifestyle doing that.

And besides, the commons food is decent enough. I simply feel there are more important things on campus than whether the food is gourmet or not.

09-01-2007 11:05 PM

I'm not saying that this is the most important thing on campus, by any means. No one's saying there should be caviar served on silver platters, but I don't think -- as you do -- that commons food should be low-quality. Drew isn't a military school, where you go because you're going to "suffer." I think there's enough at Drew to build character - including studying, writing papers, leading clubs, and generally all of the challenges being at a university brings. I see no reason to add substandard food as a character builder.

09-02-2007 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zachary C. Kanfer
I think there's enough at Drew to build character - including studying, writing papers, leading clubs, and generally all of the challenges being at a university brings.

That's very positive of you.

09-04-2007 08:24 PM

there is no more naked juice.... that is reason enough to switch back to aramark.

09-05-2007 03:45 AM

Speaking of, here is a list of Things I Miss:

Naked Juice
Vitamin Water
the huge Poland Spring bottles
The old orange juices (the Tropicana ones)
the Guacamole burger (I think it's gone? I have yet to try to order lunch.)
Smoothies

The breakfast burrito is amazing though, I highly suggest it.

Also, could we get Ikea to furnish the rest of the Commons, please? :)

Mike Richichi 09-05-2007 12:54 PM

I found http://www.drewdining.com/ which seems to be Sodexho's website about the dining services.

If there's something you liked and it's not there (especially at the Snack Bar), it's probably worth asking one of the managers. If they can get it I'd think they'd want to, since they can sell it for money, and they know that at least one customer wants it.

09-12-2007 11:09 PM

In general I have found the quality of the commons much better compared to the previous years. However I am severely dissapointed with the snack bar. They often don't have many of the ingrediants to make their menu items and I found myself listing things I want until they finally tell me they are able to make that. Don't forget the night that they closed an hour early because they simply ran out of food. In addition, the serving sizes are laughable. I had ordered a buffalo chicken wrap and received about 4 pieces of lettuce, a slice of tomato, and about 2 and a half little slices of chicken - all of this costing me just under 5 bucks.

I hope the snack bar is just experiencing a few kinks seeing as it is still the start of the new year - but the way it stands now I will be eating in the commons much more often.

09-14-2007 12:41 PM

Watch out at the snack bar, the cashiers have been charging students the 7% sales tax. This sales tax is only supposed to be charged to faculty and staff. So WATCH your total!

Jackie Rhoades 09-16-2007 04:19 PM

I'm a grad student so I'm not on the meal plan, but I like to "treat" myself every now & then, esp. at busy times. I'm very disappointed in the new food service.

The Commons has fewer choices than before and less appetizing choices (both look & taste). The prices went up. The signs are hung so low I keep hitting myself in the head. The dishes & silverware are no cleaner than they used to be. Etc.

The snack bar still never has a clean table. The prices went up. I keep getting charged tax too (all summer, in fact) -- granted I look older than an undergrad, but I'm wearing a backpack & paying on my Drew debit card, so you'd think I looked like a student! The premade salads have soggy croutons & the salad bar is too expensive. There's not much in the way of combos there either in order to save a little money, & there was even less over the summer. Why does a combo always mean fries or chips & a soda? How about a side salad and juice or milk? Etc.

Even the soda vending machine prices went up.

And speaking of summer, as well as weekends, grad students are pretty much here 24/7/365 & we need to eat too! What's with closing at 2 in the summer when the library is open till 9? What's with not opening till 2 on weekends as if we don't want any lunch?

I won't say that there's nothing good that they retained (like Pepsi products) or implemented (like panini in the snack bar -- though I'd like a chicken one too, so I haven't tasted one yet), but overall I'm NOT impressed & will "eat out" a lot less than I used to under Aramark unless I see improvements.

09-17-2007 06:46 PM

... bottom line, the food is repulsive. running out of ice and bread is absolutely unacceptable, the prices are ridiculous, and choices are fewer than ever.

John D. Muccigrosso 09-17-2007 09:03 PM

Somebody explain the tax thing to me.

Why doesn't Sodexho have to charge tax to students?

09-18-2007 12:52 PM

On a much happier note, the caprese sandwich in the snack bar is SOOOO good. Probably some of the best campus food I've ever eaten.

and vitamin water is back. +5.

09-18-2007 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John D. Muccigrosso
Somebody explain the tax thing to me.

Why doesn't Sodexho have to charge tax to students?

I don't know, but they're doing it anyway. I asked the cashier why my total for a chicken cheesesteak was more expensive than what was listed on the hanging menu, and she told me it was what her list said. I wasn't going to argue, but someone is automatically integrating the tax into everyone's totals.

John D. Muccigrosso 09-18-2007 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackie DiLorenzo
I don't know, but they're doing it anyway. I asked the cashier why my total for a chicken cheesesteak was more expensive than what was listed on the hanging menu, and she told me it was what her list said. I wasn't going to argue, but someone is automatically integrating the tax into everyone's totals.

You mis-read my question.

Why doesn't Sodexho have to charge tax? We pay tax on prepared food in NJ, so why should students eating at U-located dining places be exempt? You pay tax on items at the bookstore, no?

09-19-2007 08:56 AM

I would imagine (this is just a guess) that students are exempt from the food tax because prepared food is the only thing offered to us. We must have a meal plan, and that is basically our main way to get food. Prepared food in NJ has a sales tax because it isn't required a necessity. However, for Drew Students it is a necessity. Perhaps that is why we are exempt?

Paul R. Coen 09-19-2007 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lauren L. Franko
I would imagine (this is just a guess) that students are exempt from the food tax because prepared food is the only thing offered to us. We must have a meal plan, and that is basically our main way to get food. Prepared food in NJ has a sales tax because it isn't required a necessity. However, for Drew Students it is a necessity. Perhaps that is why we are exempt?

It might be more straightforward - meal plan points aren't cash, and people pay board (also not taxable) for food, including the meal points. A cash transaction at the snack bar would likely incur sales tax, since it's outside the boundaries of the meal plan. That's not any less a guess than your suggestion, though.

John D. Muccigrosso 09-22-2007 01:20 PM

I asked somebody and I think Paul's got it. It's part of "board" and so not really being sold to students if they use points.

Now, if you use your own money...

09-22-2007 04:21 PM

Aramark did not charge a tax even if you paid with cash or credit/debit. I am curious to know whether faculty members were charged a tax under Aramark.

Mike Richichi 09-22-2007 09:19 PM

I don't think Aramark charged tax to faculty and staff.

Jackie Rhoades 02-12-2009 01:11 PM

Commons is filthy

As a grad student, I'm not locked into a meal plan. I eat at home. Going to the Commons is supposed to be my "treat." But I gave up going to the Snack Bar a couple years ago (with the exception of a carry-out beverage or an emergency) because they never washed a table and I'm about to do the same with the Commons.

I've always gone to the Commons 1-3 times per week and have always been so happy that they kept the place up better than the Snack Bar so at least there's one place on campus that isn't scary. But they've stopped caring. They don't even have comment cards anymore so you can tell them there's a problem.

It used to be that you'd see someone coming around cleaning tables all through the lunch period. Now when I come in between 12:30 & 1:30, the place is largely empty by then, but EVERY spot at every table is so disgusting I can't find a place to sit. The lady doesn't even start to come around to wash tables till at least 2:00 now. It's been this way all semester & I've had enough. I can take my money uptown for my "treat" -- and I'm just about to.

The problem is worst on "Trayless Tuesdays" because you don't even have a tray between your silverware, etc., and the disgusting tables. That, by the way, is the silliest idea I have ever heard of anyhow. I don't take less food, I just have to make more trips to get it. And no energy is being saved when I have to use a whole container of napkins to make myself a tablecloth because the tables are so gross.

Anyhow, I'm going to try it one more time, and if they haven't cleaned up their act -- literally -- I'll head to Atlanta Bread or Burger King or Romanelli's from now on.