Drew Community

Drew Community (https://community.drew.edu//index.php)
-   Current CLA students (https://community.drew.edu//forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Language/Placement Testing (https://community.drew.edu//showthread.php?t=166)

08-10-2005 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin R. Shedlock
Yes, Meghan, It is! Definitely start a support group- I'm in. Maybe we could go commisserate at TOE-- the only café I've ever seen named after one of the most disgusting parts of the body!!! Go us!

Lol, we'll need a support group. I'm gonna be a junior next year, and I haven't taken a language since my junior year in highschool, and now Arabic, we'll see how much fun that is. I'm just excited that there are lots of people in it, because I was always worried that it was one of the classes under threat of being cancelled for "lack of interest." Also, even though TOE has a funny name its awesome and has yummy food :-D

08-10-2005 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Wnorowski
How is the Latin program at Drew? Anyone ever taken the Latin placement test?

I had two and a half years of Latin in HS. However most of it was through home tutoring as I was sick throughout high school. I'm debating whether or not to take the Latin placement test.

08-10-2005 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lauren L. Franko
I had two and a half years of Latin in HS. However most of it was through home tutoring as I was sick throughout high school. I'm debating whether or not to take the Latin placement test.

If you have any experience, you should just take the placement exam. They are pretty quick and the worst thing that can happen is that you get placed at the intro level.

08-10-2005 10:54 PM

No, the worst thing that can happen is you get placed higher. I want the intro class.

08-10-2005 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lauren L. Franko
No, the worst thing that can happen is you get placed higher. I want the intro class.

Here's the thing with the language at Drew. The first 2 weeks are sort of like a trial period. The teachers are especially looking for people who aren't in the right level. So even if you place higher than the intro level, if you end up struggling, then can drop down.

08-10-2005 11:24 PM

Ok, first question, sorry if it's already been asked: can you test out of a language? And also, I am pretty fluent in Spanish, but I would really like to learn alot more, and would love to take classes later on.. should I take the spanish placement test for that???

08-10-2005 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meggaly Y. Portillo
Ok, first question, sorry if it's already been asked: can you test out of a language? And also, I am pretty fluent in Spanish, but I would really like to learn alot more, and would love to take classes later on.. should I take the spanish placement test for that???

Yes, you can test out of a language, and yes you should take the spanish placement exam.

08-11-2005 01:02 AM

hey arabic people!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saman Asheer
Lol, we'll need a support group. I'm gonna be a junior next year, and I haven't taken a language since my junior year in highschool, and now Arabic, we'll see how much fun that is. I'm just excited that there are lots of people in it, because I was always worried that it was one of the classes under threat of being cancelled for "lack of interest." Also, even though TOE has a funny name its awesome and has yummy food :-D

I'll be in the Arabic class too! I'm pretty excited, since I've been meaning to take Arabic since my freshman year (when it DID get cancelled). but I was reassured that we have a great new professor coming to teach us, and the class is going to be huge for a Drew Arabic class! seems like a great group too. anyway, it better be good since I seem to remember promising myself not to take any more evening classes... and now they're all I'm taking...
we should definitely chill at TOE to work through the crazy homework we'll probably have - and TOE is conveniently open on Thursday nights, right? :-)

08-11-2005 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danna L. Gutman
I'll be in the Arabic class too! I'm pretty excited, since I've been meaning to take Arabic since my freshman year (when it DID get cancelled). but I was reassured that we have a great new professor coming to teach us, and the class is going to be huge for a Drew Arabic class! seems like a great group too. anyway, it better be good since I seem to remember promising myself not to take any more evening classes... and now they're all I'm taking...
we should definitely chill at TOE to work through the crazy homework we'll probably have - and TOE is conveniently open on Thursday nights, right? :-)

lol, I've also been waiting since freshman year (I'm gonna b a junior this fall), but the class kept conflicting with other classes in my schedule. I'm kind of glad its in the evenings so that I can finally take it. Also, its not one of those really late evening classes (7-9:30 ones) I hate those, they made me really sleepy. and YES TOE is open on thursdays! YAY!

08-11-2005 02:15 PM

Hey, Saman and Danna: Ready to get schooled by some freshmen? ;-)

No, I'm glad to see that the people in this class are as excited as I am (and as apprehensive).
TOE's gonna be doing some good business, that is, as long as we don't get distracted by the ungame, whatever that is, everyone's been all cryptic....
Whatev- looking forward to it!
Cheers,
Benjamin