Drew Community

Drew Community (https://community.drew.edu//index.php)
-   Technology Discussion (https://community.drew.edu//forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   bloatware (https://community.drew.edu//showthread.php?t=1455)

Rachel B. Posner 07-24-2008 08:22 PM

bloatware
 
There's an article in today's NYTimes titled, "Exorcise the Demons That Come Preinstalled," referring to all the "bloatware" or "cr@pware" that comes pre-installed on most new computers these days.

Will this be a problem with the new laptop I get next month? TIA

Russell W. Sprague 07-24-2008 08:41 PM

As the person working on the configuration right now, I can give you the short answer.

No.

Office, some basic utilities, and the vendor-specific applications are just about all that's on there.

E. Axel Larsson 07-24-2008 09:57 PM

The article is also a bit disingenuous when they claim that Macs don't have extra trial software...

No trial software on Macs... except of course for that trial copy of Office 2004 for the Mac, OmniOutliner, and the trial copy of the iWork suite, etc... Yep, no trial software at all...

But yes, as Russell says we do build the configuration for the Drew machines from scratch with a fresh installation of Windows.

07-25-2008 07:53 AM

pretty exciting stuff!

07-25-2008 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E. Axel Larsson
The article is also a bit disingenuous when they claim that Macs don't have extra trial software...

No trial software on Macs... except of course for that trial copy of Office 2004 for the Mac, OmniOutliner, and the trial copy of the iWork suite, etc... Yep, no trial software at all...


While the specifics vary from time to time (I've never gotten a trial copy of OmniOutliner with a new Mac, but I did get the other two on all four of the new Macs I've used over the years), you are absolutely right. I must say that I find the bloatware on a new Mac to be far less obtrusive and irritating than on the typical new Windows machine (but it's been a few years since I bought a new Windows machine, so I could just be out of date), but the difference is definitely one of degree, not of overall presence.

Drew does its students a real service by making the HD image on Drew laptops without useless bloatware!

07-25-2008 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell W. Sprague
As the person working on the configuration right now, I can give you the short answer.

No.

Office, some basic utilities, and the vendor-specific applications are just about all that's on there.


Out of curiosity, Russell, what do you mean by "the vendor-specific applications" ?

Betsy Black 07-25-2008 11:18 AM

Vendor specific applications on the ThinkPad T400 and X61 Tablet include ThinkVantage Productivity Center, Access Connections, and Rescue and Recovery, to name a few.

Jonathan B. Reams 07-25-2008 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachel B. Posner
There's an article in today's NYTimes titled, "Exorcise the Demons That Come Preinstalled," referring to all the "bloatware" or "cr@pware" that comes pre-installed on most new computers these days.


As good as the New York Times may be when it comes to world and US news, I have yet to read an article in the Times about computing that doesn't devolve into an Apple commercial in the first few paragraphs. This one is my favorite, Windows Could Use a Rush of Fresh Air. For anyone who knows anything about the development of Windows and the history of the PC, the article is a poorly researched subjective piece of garbage. I don't understand what's going on at the Times when it publishes these technology articles, they end up being poorly researched, full of inaccuracies, and end with "well what you should really be doing is switching to Mac!" Maybe Steve Jobs is a big shareholder there?

Mike Richichi 07-25-2008 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel M. Lawson
While the specifics vary from time to time (I've never gotten a trial copy of OmniOutliner with a new Mac, but I did get the other two on all four of the new Macs I've used over the years), you are absolutely right. I must say that I find the bloatware on a new Mac to be far less obtrusive and irritating than on the typical new Windows machine (but it's been a few years since I bought a new Windows machine, so I could just be out of date), but the difference is definitely one of degree, not of overall presence.

Drew does its students a real service by making the HD image on Drew laptops without useless bloatware!


It's also worth noting that as a business-class laptop, the standard ThinkPad configuration we get from the factory is largely free of bloatware (the only possible exception is a trial version of a virus scanner). This is one of the many reasons we specify and support business-class laptops.

07-26-2008 11:57 AM

soo.. the laptop comes with a trial of a virus scanner? or can we just put our own?

I use eset nod32 smart security, I really like it! It uses very little of the computers resources.. very protective.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.5.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Drew University is not responsible for the content of posts made on this site. All posts and comments reflect the opinion of the author.