Drew Community

Drew Community (https://community.drew.edu//index.php)
-   Technology Discussion (https://community.drew.edu//forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Google Apps Transition (https://community.drew.edu//showthread.php?t=6767)

Mike Richichi 02-13-2013 11:19 AM

Google Apps Transition

Please read the message from Alan Candiotti about our transition to Google Apps. We'll be happy to answer any questions you have in this discussion thread.

----------

University Technology is pleased to announce that Drew will be launching Google Apps in early summer 2013. This transition replaces our GroupWise email environment with new Gmail accounts for faculty, staff and students, while retaining @drew.edu email addresses for all Drew community members.

Migrating our email to a cloud-provided service meets one of the Library/IT objectives for the organizational review. We are taking this opportunity to make available the full Google Apps suite. The Drew community will have access to Google Drive, Docs, Spreadsheets, Groups, and other Google tools to facilitate collaboration and expand access. University Technology will support the use of all Google Apps tools by faculty, staff and students with an array of training workshops and online materials.

University Technology has already begun the work of the transition and configuring systems. Later in the spring, we will announce plans for migrating existing email, calendars, and address books to the new service.

We will continue to make announcements about the transition over the coming weeks as we move along in the transition process. We encourage you to begin to discuss the transition on the Community Forums at https://community.drew.edu. There will also soon be information about the transition available on U-KNOW. A survey will be sent out before Spring Break asking about more specific features from GroupWise that Drew community members are interested in using in Google, such as auto-population of calendars with course schedules, making appointments, and busy search.

We hope you share our enthusiasm about this transition and we look forward to working together toward a successful Google launch!

Jennifer A. Heise 02-15-2013 11:35 AM

email addresses

Just to confirm, people will still have the same email addresses, right?
Also, I know there are a few role-based accounts out there (we have one); will they be migrated too?

Mike Richichi 02-16-2013 01:12 PM

Yes to both!

Jennifer A. Heise 02-27-2013 02:01 PM

Google print?

Will any of the university print systems be set up on Google Print?

Mike Richichi 03-01-2013 02:48 PM

If you mean Google Cloud Print, that's not really an enterprise service--people share out their personal printers to it and then can print anywhere they log in to their Google account. Since you have to have a local machine logged into Google with your own account and connected to the printer at all times, it's not feasible in any real sense for the public printers.

Jennifer A. Heise 03-19-2013 10:23 AM

Folders to Tags?

If, as I understand, old mail messages are going to be ported into the Gmail interface, will the current folder names be converted to tags? If someone has a folder within-a-folder, do we know yet how that might be handled?

E. Axel Larsson 03-19-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer A. Heise
If, as I understand, old mail messages are going to be ported into the Gmail interface, will the current folder names be converted to tags? If someone has a folder within-a-folder, do we know yet how that might be handled?

Yes, folders will be converted to labels.

Gmail supports hierarchical labels, and when using IMAP or ActiveSync, they show up as nested folders just as you'd expect. So Google has found a way to give us folders but still stubbornly insists on not admitting that they've given us folders. :)

This is the tool we will be using to do the migration of GroupWise mailboxes: http://www.cloudsolutions.co.uk/reso...igration-tool/

Jennifer A. Heise 03-21-2013 11:33 AM

Thanks for the Google Transition info

Mike and Axel-- thanks for the info.

And for those who deleted the email, here's the link to the Google At Drew space on uknow as well:
https://uknow.drew.edu/confluence/x/XQDqAQ

-- J

Jennifer A. Heise 03-21-2013 11:41 AM

Microsoft Office Package /Google Drive?

Another question my department was wondering about: with the transition to Bring Your Own Device for the students in the fall of 2013 and the addition of Google Drive, will Microsoft Office continue to be the standard office suite campuswide and licensed for students, staff and faculty? (As I understand it, Drew already has Office licensed for staff and faculty, but will students be able to buy a disk to install Office on their own computer(s)?)

Betsy Black 03-22-2013 08:54 AM

Microsoft Office will still be a requirement for students entering in the fall of 2013, and we will make the software available to them either free or at a minimal cost (i.e., the cost of the install media).

Kris Sullivan 03-24-2013 10:14 AM

Alumni Email

Does the transition to google apps mean we will continue to have a Drew email address post graduation? I know many colleges that use Google apps do this. From what I understand the cost is minimal.

Gamin G. Bartle 03-26-2013 10:28 AM

Post Graduation Email Accounts

Hi Kris,

Thank you for the question. We are looking at this issue as a part of the overall transition to Google, but we don't yet have an answer.

We will announce this as soon as a decision has been reached!

Thanks,
Gamin

Bob Fenstermacher 04-23-2013 01:13 PM

G-Mail Client?

Will there be a g-mail client to set up on individual campus and off-campus computers to access mail and calendar, or will we have to go through a browser?

Mike Richichi 04-23-2013 04:54 PM

You can use other clients like Thunderbird to access your mail. There are ways to do the calendar but we haven't really tested them yet (like the Outlook integration Google makes.) Most people who use Gmail use the web interface and the mobile device access.

Robin Timmons 05-02-2013 07:28 AM

I use GroupWise mail archives. Do I need to "unarchive" them in order to migrate them to gmail?

If I keep the desktop GroupWise program on my computer could I continue to use it to access my archived items?

E. Axel Larsson 05-03-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Timmons
I use GroupWise mail archives. Do I need to "unarchive" them in order to migrate them to gmail?

If I keep the desktop GroupWise program on my computer could I continue to use it to access my archived items?

Hi Robin,

The tool we are using to migrate mail does support GroupWise archives. Once migration of all of the online mail is complete, we will announce how to get your archives over. It will require some human intervention since we need to get the archives copied to a central location and then point the migration tool at them, so likely the procedure will involve creating a helpdesk ticket and then copying your archive folder up to a network share somewhere.

You can use your local copy of GroupWise to access your archives as long as GroupWise can access your online mailbox. You can do that for as long as our GroupWise system is up, which will be at least through September. To maintain access for longer, you should set your local GroupWise client into Caching mode so it has a local copy of your online mailbox + your archive.

Robin Timmons 06-02-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E. Axel Larsson
Yes, folders will be converted to labels.

Gmail supports hierarchical labels, and when using IMAP or ActiveSync, they show up as nested folders just as you'd expect. So Google has found a way to give us folders but still stubbornly insists on not admitting that they've given us folders. :)

Not all of my subfolders showed up in gmail after the transfer.
For example:
In my "Cabinet" folder, all of my GroupWise "Cabinet" sub-folders are listed, but the contents of sub-folders within them are not there. I have a folder under "Cabinet" labeled "Courses" which does show up (with a triangle pointer) as well as any emails I had directly in that folder. However, the sub-folders of "Courses" for each individual course and the emails contained in those sub-folders are not showing up in gmail.

This is not a problem for me as I will cache my GroupWise emails but this may help for other individuals who are not seeing all of their email.

Edit: OK - I think the emails did transfer but the labels are not listed in the left-hand column (even though the individual emails have the correct label)

E. Axel Larsson 06-03-2013 11:10 AM

Would it be possible to stop by so we can see what you are seeing? It looks from an administrative standpoint that there is a Courses label with three sublabels underneath it but we cannot see how they actually appear in gmail without getting into the account.