Drew Community

Drew Community (https://community.drew.edu//index.php)
-   Gripes (https://community.drew.edu//forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Some of the things wrong with Drew (https://community.drew.edu//showthread.php?t=1028)

01-26-2008 02:53 PM

Some of the things wrong with Drew

1. The food is..well..awful. Not much of a shock here.

2. The town and Drew do not have any sort of agreement. If you want to go into Madison, being a Drew student doesn't give you discounts, and you cant use your campus cash there. This is common at so many colleges now.

3. Tuition. 50,000. Wow. For what?

4. The University Center. What a piece of crap. One TV. Crummy furniture. Crummy building.

5. The money seems to be going to the wrong areas. The gym center (w/e its called) seems to be one of the nicest places on campus. But in the classrooms, the desks are old and small, its not completely wireless (for a school that demands you buy a laptop, no less).

6. The dorms. Tolley-Brown is a crap-hole. I don't think there is any argument against this. Hoyt Bowne, the doors are falling off the hinges. Oh, and its not wireless!!

7. Clubs. No offense to the clubs that there are, but the majority of them seem to be culture and religious clubs. That's fine, but where are the floor hockey clubs? The film clubs?

8. No football. This would generate so many alums donating money to a good sports program. Students love football. Parents love football. It could bring so much school spirit.

Thats just off the top of my head. Feel free to rip into me, or add more!

01-26-2008 04:03 PM

I <3 you Neal!!:p

Mike Richichi 01-26-2008 04:34 PM

About #2:

http://depts.drew.edu/media/features...en/madison.php

01-26-2008 05:17 PM

Why don't you actually create a club that interests you instead of complaining about what there isn't! Students at Drew complain a lot but in the end they refuse to do anything. You only really have a right to complain if you are unable to change what you want to change. Until then, do something about it.

01-26-2008 05:39 PM

If you have such a problem with Drew...why don't you transfer out?

Anthony F. Capasso 01-26-2008 09:49 PM

At #8, its a Liberal Arts college, that focuses more on education rather than sports, it promotes more students to attend on an academic level rather than a physical level.

01-26-2008 10:12 PM

I love Drew...

In defense:

1. Food: Have you been to other schools? It's college. The food is the same everywhere. At a small school, we can't have 10 fast food restaurants on campus.

2. Again, at bigger schools in cities it is common. Madison doesn't really work with that... and many food places, ice cream places do give a discount...

3. 50,000 - free tutoring, writing center, library, housing, public safety, good professors, money to start your own clubs, etc etc

4. The UC could be better, I'm sure after they build the new dorms they will look into the UC... However, I think it's nice, and the furniture is like at every college, and where would you put another TV?

5. Well the money right now seems to be going into building new dorms, and I think thats exactly the right place for it to go. As for the gym, its probably one of the newer buildings. And I agree with the desks, and wireless, but I'm pretty sure they are working on it because I've gotten emails and surveys about it before.

6. I'm sure when they have the new dorms, they will be able to move students around a bit to renew the old dorms, but until then, where would you put the students while the renewal was taking place? And many things, like broken doors, are because students break them - as in my dorm last year.

7. Its really easy to start a club and receive funding for it.

8. No we don't have football, but we have lacrosse, baseball, basketball, soccer….

I really love Drew.
  • Its campus is beautiful. I love sitting outside and doing homework, my walk to class in the morning is just enlightening. Drew really does have its own spirit.
  • We have great professors.
  • The Drew faculty bends over backwards for the students. Whatever you want and seek in your education or lifestyle – they will make it happen.
  • I can walk into the career center with no clue and walk out with a part time or full time job or an internship.
  • Drew has great programs like the UN, EU, and Wall Street Semester that most schools don’t offer.
  • Free tutoring.
  • Drew has great connections in terms of internships and jobs.
  • Finally Drew has style. The faculty and students really form a great community. I think Drew students are different from students anywhere else.
I agree that Drew is not cheap, however, unlike many other college, I know that I am not wasting my money. I feel like I am really getting what I pay for – every penny’s worth. I am comfortable, happy, and I’ve learned an incredible amount in the past 2 years, and met great people. However, I understand that everyone is different – and I hope that you will transfer and find a school that you can so enthusiastically defend.

Sheryl L. McCabe 01-26-2008 10:51 PM

I don't think we need a football team. It would change the student dynamic. Plus there's plenty of things that students get involved in. D.U.D.S. for instance gains a large crowd at every one of their shows and plus, they're good and that gets alumni to give money. I like football, but there's other things to focus on besides sports.

01-27-2008 01:26 AM

I didn't mean to attack drew. It's not the worst place in the world, but having been elsewhere, (i transferred to drew) it does need major improvements.

A few things. In regard to food, I've been to a bunch of colleges with much better food. I'm sure that the food is worse in a lot of places. But I mean, I don't go elsewhere, I go to Drew. I want good food. In regards to football, sooo many schools have football teams, even liberal arts. I'm not saying the other sports aren't good or w/e (i wish there was a hockey team), but football is America's sport or w/e, and asking the students to rally together once a week to root for a football team works well for many schools. I didn't know about the madison/drew thing, so I'm sorry for making that claim.

I guess what really drives me crazy about drew is that the students seemingly have no forum to change the school for the better. A friend of mine is trying to get something passed (I won't say who or what, but it's a really uncomplicated matter), and he keeps getting sent from person to person b/c nobody has a clue what to do. He was sent from the president to student government to numerous teachers to deans, and nothing has been done. It's all a big stall. That's my biggest gripe with Drew.

But I do want to say things I like about drew, just so you don't all kill me when i get back.

The train straight to NY Penn is awesome. The space is a cool place. The seminary hall cafe thing is pretty cool. There are some really engaging professors. As I said before, the gym is pretty cool, and very modern. The place is beautiful. And some of the students are really great people.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I just wanted a discussion. (This was the first thread I ever wrote)

Lauren E. Cordes 01-27-2008 07:22 AM

As for a forum where students can enact change for themselves, there are a number of student organizations on campus who are looking to a) create change themselves and b) hopefully in the near future, create such a forum for students in the form of a free student union.
this concept of a free student union is ever-changing and can be whatever we, as students, desire it to be.
i encourage you to keep your eyes open this semester to student groups who are active and already engaged in trying to make drew an even better place than it already is.
i know i can say for myself that i used to complain a lot about drew, and i still sometimes do because there are many areas on campus and within the administration that infuriate me to no end. but i also am completely in love with other areas of drew. so i've come to realize that it's a give and take, and that most times, the wonderful things about drew really lift me up and give me encouragement and drive to change those things i might dislike.
so there are students out there with similar sentiments. now is the time to all get together and talk about what we want to do about it. because together, as a community of students, faculty, staff, and people who are involved in any way with this school, WE are the ones who can bring about such changes -- it is OUR school. let's own it, and do something about it! :)