Drew Community

Drew Community (https://community.drew.edu//index.php)
-   For Sale/Wanted (https://community.drew.edu//forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Epson C82 printer (https://community.drew.edu//showthread.php?t=347)

11-11-2005 03:18 AM

Epson C82 printer

I cannot print off of my computer because my printer port is broken. This is a perfectly fine printer that was distributed with the CLA class of 2007. Just put new black ink in it, and have plenty of extra paper.
If you are interested let me know. Price is negotiable.

Jason R. Howe 11-11-2005 11:07 AM

You know, if you got the CLA 2007 IBM R40, it is still covered under both the factory hardware warranty and also the 4 year accidental damage insurance. So if you bring your computer to the CNS helpdesk, we can fix it for you, it won't cost you a dime, *and* you'll be able to print again...just a thought.

Kevin P. Egan 11-11-2005 12:48 PM

If you dont want the computer port to be fixed, you can also try switching to using a USB cable for the printer.

11-11-2005 05:20 PM

Or just printing test pages, and then cutting up the letters from them to make whatever essays you have written.

11-13-2005 07:18 PM

wow... thanks. I can't afford to be without my computer long enough to get the printer port fixed. but, kevin, what is all that about a USB cable (god i feel like a moron).

11-13-2005 09:22 PM

well, you can get a loaner after you bring your computer to the helpdesk. It's usually one weekday or less after you apply for it.

and the USB printer cable is something like this. Basically, it's the same thing that you have now, except instead of plugging into the big parallel port on your computer, it plugs into your USB port. You've got two USB ports on your computer: one on the left, just to the side of the headphone port, and one in back, next to where you plug in your network cord. They're rectangular ports.

Kevin P. Egan 11-14-2005 11:04 AM

Well I was actually talking about USB A/B cable. This cable uses the USB port on the computer and connects to a USB port on the printer.

Though one thing to keep in mind, if you switch over from a parallel to USB cable, you need to do one extra step before you can use the printer. You need to switch the port (in windows) that the computer is sending the information to.

Start > Printers & Faxes > Right click on the C82 printer and hit properties from the context menu > go to the ports tab > now you should see a table which has a column for port & description.

If you have been using the parallel cable up until this point, you will see that LPT 1 has a check mark next to it. Scroll down the window until you see USB001 and check the box next to that. Now the printer will send the printing information over the USB port to the printer. I am not sure which usb port USB001 is, so if the printer does not work the 1st time, try switching it over to the other USB port on the computer.

Hope this helps.

11-14-2005 01:14 PM

wow... thanks!

11-14-2005 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kegan
Well I was actually talking about USB A/B cable.

hrm...I didn't think our printers had a usb port on them. But, cool!

Kevin P. Egan 11-14-2005 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emily A. Brunke
wow... thanks!

You're welcome

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zachary C. Kanfer
hrm...I didn't think our printers had a usb port on them. But, cool!

Yeah, I found that when the c82 begins printing nothing but gibberish, switching to the usb cable often fixes the problem. Also using the USB allowed me plug the printer into my USB hub, cutting down the number of wires on my desk.