Drew Community

Drew Community (https://community.drew.edu//index.php)
-   Technology Discussion (https://community.drew.edu//forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   non-computers on drew wireless (https://community.drew.edu//showthread.php?t=731)

01-29-2007 04:18 PM

non-computers on drew wireless

When trying to connect my Nintendo DS to the wireless server earlier, 3 connections labeled "drew" (well, one with a capital D) came up and I wasn't sure which one to use. Does it matter?

Also, er, does the wireless network even work with game systems? The two times I tried to connect, my game froze and shut off. D:

Mike Richichi 01-29-2007 09:58 PM

Unless it tells you more about the type of connection, you'll just have to try them until one works. Well, except the one with the capital "D" isn't one of ours, so I'd stay away from that one.

There's no reason why the wireless system shouldn't work with your Nintendo DS, except you'll have a hard time communicating off-campus because you won't be able to authenticate to the web page to enable off-campus access. So it may be of limited utility. However, there's lots of variables in how wireless works, especially with embedded and portable devices, and it's hard to be sure any device will work with any access point (although the Cisco ones we use seem to work with far more things than consumer-grade devices do).

01-30-2007 09:16 PM

is there a WEP key I could put in to make authenticating work?

Paul R. Coen 01-31-2007 12:55 AM

Nope, we're not using WEP. It doesn't really provide any security at all, so there's not much point to it. Basically, It's a web application that authenticates you and then creates a firewall rule that allows you to get from our wireless network to the internet.

It may matter which one you use - a couple of those entires could actually be computers that are set up to rebroadcast the SSID of the AP they're associated with, or people just set up random access points.

Gregory R. Everitt 10-16-2009 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Richichi
Unless it tells you more about the type of connection, you'll just have to try them until one works. Well, except the one with the capital "D" isn't one of ours, so I'd stay away from that one.

There's no reason why the wireless system shouldn't work with your Nintendo DS, except you'll have a hard time communicating off-campus because you won't be able to authenticate to the web page to enable off-campus access. So it may be of limited utility. However, there's lots of variables in how wireless works, especially with embedded and portable devices, and it's hard to be sure any device will work with any access point (although the Cisco ones we use seem to work with far more things than consumer-grade devices do).

Does all of this information still apply? I've noticed that to connect to WiFi from the dorms and browse the Web requires that your computer log into some Drew proxy. Does this mean I can't connect my Nintendo DS to the Internet? When I try connecting to "drew" on my DS, the DS finds it, and it sometimes even connects for a bit, but in the end it always tells me that it can't connect to the access point.

Mike Richichi 10-16-2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregory R. Everitt
Does all of this information still apply? I've noticed that to connect to WiFi from the dorms and browse the Web requires that your computer log into some Drew proxy. Does this mean I can't connect my Nintendo DS to the Internet? When I try connecting to "drew" on my DS, the DS finds it, and it sometimes even connects for a bit, but in the end it always tells me that it can't connect to the access point.

The good news is we have actual wireless in the dorms. You still have to authenticate through the wireless intercept page, however, so unless you have a browser on the device that can do that, you'll have limited connectivity.

But your problem sounds like that it's having trouble connecting to the access point at all, which is a different problem. We can't test every device's connection to our access points (I have had problems with my Blackberry connecting to my home AP for example), but there may be some client settings on the DS you might need to change, or you might need to fix the type of wireless (b or g). You can try those and see if the behavior is different. It would be also useful to know if you can access other WiFi hotspots, both ones with and without a captive Web logon.

Gregory R. Everitt 10-17-2009 07:00 PM

I have used my DS on my router at home, so that works.

According to the Nintendo website, the DS is compatible with both 802.11b and 802.11g (source). It also says that hotspots requiring logons don't work (source, information appears after clicking "At a Hotspot"). Would it be possible, or legal under Drew policy, to use my laptop as a wireless access point using Internet Connection Sharing or something similar?

EDIT: No, I don't have a web browser for the DS, although such software does exist for the DS and comes built-in with the new Nintendo DSi.

Gregory R. Everitt 10-27-2009 02:41 PM

It may also be worth noting that I can't connect to the WiFi using my Nintendo Wii, but I can connect it to the Internet with an Ethernet LAN adapter.