Drew Community

Drew Community (https://community.drew.edu//index.php)
-   Technology Discussion (https://community.drew.edu//forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Droid 2 Email (https://community.drew.edu//showthread.php?t=4785)

Nicholas J. Ganzfried 09-05-2010 09:18 PM

Droid 2 Email

Does anyone know how to set up the Drew email for a Droid 2?

Mike Richichi 09-05-2010 09:56 PM

Check this thread. I'd recommend K9mail in general. I haven't checked to see if the stock 2.2 email client works better with our mail servers.

Mike Richichi 09-05-2010 09:57 PM

We've also been testing the ActiveSync solution which seems to work very well, and we'll be rolling this out this fall.

James A. Matarrese 09-10-2010 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Richichi
Check this thread. I'd recommend K9mail in general. I haven't checked to see if the stock 2.2 email client works better with our mail servers.

I can guarantee that the stock 2.2 mail client (at least on a rooted Nexus One) is just as horrible as the previous versions for IMAP. I'm using K9 as well and it's significantly better.

I'm pretty excited to get ActiveSync, though. I'm hoping that'll fix the bug/bug-they-call-a-feature that causes emails that come in during the night to be dated as if they're from 1969. It's only Drew emails too. Axel explained to me what the problem might be (an empty header field somewhere), but K9 handles everything perfectly. If only it had a more readable interface...

Mike Richichi 09-23-2010 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James A. Matarrese
I can guarantee that the stock 2.2 mail client (at least on a rooted Nexus One) is just as horrible as the previous versions for IMAP. I'm using K9 as well and it's significantly better.

I'm pretty excited to get ActiveSync, though. I'm hoping that'll fix the bug/bug-they-call-a-feature that causes emails that come in during the night to be dated as if they're from 1969. It's only Drew emails too. Axel explained to me what the problem might be (an empty header field somewhere), but K9 handles everything perfectly. If only it had a more readable interface...

Ironically, there seems to be a bug with the Droid X and Droid 2 running 2.2 that makes all the message dates on the device show up as December 31, 1969. It's only cosmetic, but still.

We're in our final testing of the sync server now. Hopefully in another week or two we'll announce general availability.

Allan C. Dawson 10-04-2010 01:00 AM

Mike,

When are we going to see the activesync trial and/or full rollout. It's been awhile. Still some glitches?

AD

Mike Richichi 10-04-2010 09:16 PM

Soon. We're trying to prepare documentation and finish some testing.

Carly Stucklen Sather 11-22-2010 04:53 PM

Is this out and how do I find set up for it on my Droid? NM I found it. thx

Eddymer Diaz 11-23-2010 01:16 AM

Here's what I did:

I spent a good amount of time trying to get email to work on my Samsung Behold II (which is running Android 1.5). Nothing seemed to work until I downloaded K9. I really didn't want to have to use an extra app when Android has built in email, so I kept fidgeting around with the settings.

I used the directions for getting k9 to work mixed with the regular android email directions provided here and finally managed to get the built in email system to work. One complaint I have is that it doesn't have the option to move items to the trash folder. Once you delete something here it is permanently deleted. K9 gives you the option to expunge messages manually.

All the info necessary was here but, some if it was unclear. Here is the process I went through that finally worked:

Account email Address:
Email Address: DrewSignIn@drew.edu
Password: your Password

Incoming Server:
Username: DrewSignIn
Password: yourPassword
Imap Server:gwimap.drew.edu
Port:993
Security Type: SSL (if available)
Imap path prefix: leave this section blank

Outgoing Server:
SMTP server: gwsmtp.drew.edu
Port: 2525
Security Type: TLS(if available)
Require Sign in: Make sure check box is checked.
Username: DrewSignIn
Password: YourPassword

Then Name your account whatever you like (Drew, school, etc.)

I hope this helps some of you out. If anything is unclear, or you have any questions, post here or email ediaz1@drew.edu.