Drew Community

Drew Community (https://community.drew.edu//index.php)
-   WMNJ (https://community.drew.edu//forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   I'll Start (https://community.drew.edu//showthread.php?t=22)

Catherine B. Nicholson 06-17-2005 06:16 PM

I'll Start

We have one ? I thought it went broke years ago? ;)

06-18-2005 04:05 AM

We had one fall semester. And then in the spring, it just fell apart. It sucks, it was wicked awesome.

06-18-2005 06:21 PM

Well, it should be noted that the radio station was working during the 2003-2004 school year, after a late start in 2003. I'd really like to see the radio do well, and get listeners, and become really organized and such.

06-19-2005 03:47 AM

yeah, me too. before winter break, we had a big meeting discussing all this stuff that was supposed to be happening. none of it did. whatever.

Rita Gregory 06-21-2005 03:10 PM

Wmnj

I happened upon the Drew station one morning while driving to work, and thought how great it was...they were playing "classic" rock and I loved it until I listened for more than an hour and realized all the music was on a loop and just it played the same songs over and over again...

Russell W. Sprague 06-21-2005 04:11 PM

There were a few times when I was air staff director where we had to resort to the 100 CD changer to fill an hour here or there, typically in the morning. We felt really horrible about not being able to fill 10 AM - 4 AM like the year before, and found a whole ton of old schedules from when WMNJ was fully staffed 24/7 a few years before that.

Things have changed quite a bit, it seems.

Paul R. Coen 06-21-2005 04:21 PM

I actually had a show my first semester at Drew (fall '87) from 3am to 5am on Thursday mornings. The time was a benefit -- the 5am to breakfast window was when I did a bunch of laundry.

06-24-2005 05:16 PM

I had a friend...

I had a couple of friends who lived in Tolley and they had their shows on the Drew radio. I went down there a couple of times with them and it was nice. I think that not enough people on this campus really have time for signing up at the radio station unless they want to go into that field or whatever.

06-24-2005 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casilda Rodriguez
I had a couple of friends who lived in Tolley and they had their shows on the Drew radio. I went down there a couple of times with them and it was nice. I think that not enough people on this campus really have time for signing up at the radio station unless they want to go into that field or whatever.

Yeah, I know a couple of people who had radio shows 2003-2004. I didn't hear much about it 2004-2005, though, except that there were applications for new shows. Having your own radio show sounds really cool, but how do you come up with stuff to entertain people with every time you're on? Like, you know, in between the music ...

Maureen Tauriello 07-19-2005 12:14 PM

To all at WMNJ

I am an employee of Drew and my husband is in Radio. Back in 2003-04 he came on board to help WMNJ get on the air again. He is available to consult and mentor if you would like. The board at the time dropped the ball and he sensed that maybe his help would not be welcome. Please drop me an email or email him directly if you would like his input and assistance.

my email is mtauriel@drew.edu his is tauriello@aol.com

Russell W. Sprague 07-20-2005 12:46 PM

There's also quite a few former WMNJ executive board members who work for the university, including at least two former general managers. We've offered our help time and time again, and have not gotten any response. *shrug*

Just sad to see it go from a 24/7 station with a huge percentage of the student body having shows to being on only a few hours a night. Even when it was only on from 10 AM to 3 AM while I was in charge, it was still one of the largest clubs on campus.

Maureen Tauriello 07-20-2005 01:51 PM

It's a shame there is not more interest because I see a lot of potential for the station. It can reach an area beyond campus and could provide community service, university promotion etc etc. Plus it is excellent training for anyone who would like a career in broadcasting.

FYI to the current wmnj staff, my husband tells me that your license is up for renewal in 2006 and if the paperwork is not filed you will lose the station... hope someone who is currently involved reads this and takes the appropriate action.

07-20-2005 02:01 PM

I offered to help Chris Cheseboro work on the station last semester. I don't know if he's still general manager or anything, but I'm willing to work on getting the station back up and running this year (I can even come in during the coming weeks to get stuff together before September, I don't live too far).

If there's anything I can do, just let me know. I have no idea who's in charge anymore, though.

Russell W. Sprague 07-20-2005 03:40 PM

I've also heard rumors that some other crucial paperwork isn't being kept up with, which has me worried. I hope they're still paying ASCAP on time.

Maureen Tauriello 07-25-2005 03:48 PM

wmnj

Being a licensed FM station is a responsibility and a priviledge. WMNJ is a low powered FM station, the FCC doesn't even grant that type of license anymore. If the application to renew the license does not get filed in time, there will be no way to get the license back and WMNJ will cease to exist. I don't understand why the station is not accountable in some way to the university and why there is no one in charge of this very important paperwork. Why hasn't anyone stepped up to the plate on this??? Does anyone out there care????

07-26-2005 01:17 AM

the station isn't accountable to the university because it's just a club. Drew doesn't take charge of clubs because they're flagging. If the membership gets low, then the membership gets low, and either the people decide they don't care enough, or they get more people.

07-26-2005 03:15 AM

Is Chris Cheseboro even still general manager?
Who has the paperwork that needs to get done? And who is supposed to do it?

07-26-2005 11:22 AM

uh oh, it sounds like someone's volunteering...;)

07-26-2005 02:08 PM

I've been volunteering since last fall ;)

07-26-2005 10:35 PM

then how come the paperwork isn't done?

kidding!

but, no, really.

07-27-2005 12:29 AM

Becauseeeee the general manager is "taking care of it."
And has been.
Forever.

07-27-2005 01:11 AM

Hopeful thing, I THINK I had heard that our new president was involved in radio. So maybe things can get better with his backing?

Or is that just wishful thinking?

Maureen Tauriello 07-27-2005 01:42 PM

wmnj

I think Chris Chesebro has graduated. So you need to find a new GM. Amanda...I think you know my son Mark who will be coming to Drew in the Fall, if you are serious about getting things up an running again contact my husband either thru Mark or through the emails I posted earlier.

I know at one point Edye Lawler was acting as an intermediary between the students and the university...maybe she knows something about the paperwork...

07-27-2005 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maureen Tauriello
I think Chris Chesebro has graduated. So you need to find a new GM. Amanda...I think you know my son Mark who will be coming to Drew in the Fall, if you are serious about getting things up an running again contact my husband either thru Mark or through the emails I posted earlier.

I know at one point Edye Lawler was acting as an intermediary between the students and the university...maybe she knows something about the paperwork...

Chris is my class year, so he'll be a senior this year.

07-28-2005 02:40 AM

Quote:

Yeah! Mark is the best. I'll definitely talk to him about it next time I see him, thanks!

08-12-2005 10:37 PM

Time for some actual clarity...

Ok, first off I, Chris Chesebro am still the general manager. I would like to address a few of the things that have caused the decline in the station over the past few years. Firstly, the largest part of why the station is having problems is that there is no communications major at Drew. At many other schools that have thriving radio stations...ie BU and Seton Hall, there are very large communications and related majors. Having a major in the field is a huge boost to any station as is gives people a reason to be consistent and respectful of the stations.

WMNJ spent $19k 3 years ago purchasing all new equipment for the broadcast studio. It is still state of the art and up to par with many other college stations. My biggest problem was always finding people who cared enough to put time into making the station work. Just having a show is great, but there is a lot more to being a part of a radio team than that. There has always been a problem with getting people to show up on time, or at all. People get lazy, or they figure its not really that important...whatever. They just dont show up.

Right now, I have been trying the past two years to get WMNJ to webcast. Up until very recently, it has been totally cost prohibitive. Thankfully a college radio group, Intercollegiate Broadcast Systems has worked out a deal with BMI to get cheap webcast rights. This is great, and it means that we can webcast as soon as I hear back from Academic Tech. I have also tried to contact people there and have never gotten a response after at least a half dozen emails. But that all will get worked out.

To address what happened this past year. People weren't showing up for shows, I couldn't get people to fill in open time slots, and god forbid I needed someone to help with some of the events we planned. There were a few good people who were there, but 2 or 3 people can only do so much. So frankly, I got tired of doing everything myself and called the semester off. Some of you might disagree with that, but at the time is was my call to make. I am still the GM. And you know what, I still love working for the station. If there are this many people who feel the same way, I need to hear from you so we can make things actually work for once. But be prepared. It takes a hella lot of time to run it at all, let alone well. Send me an email, and hopefully we can make it work.

I hope I answered at least some of the questions people had, and made up understand what was really going on.

08-12-2005 10:41 PM

and one more thing...

I cannot fault Pete Tauriello at all for all the help he gave us. He came in willing to work with the crew and make the station better. The biggest thing that was the problem was that people felt he was a little pushy and expected too much from the station. I personally thing he did a great job and gave us, especially me a lot to work with.

As to the FCC filing...I have looked into this a LOT. There is little we can do to get a new license. As of now, we are an outdated and no longer offered license type. There are 3 other stations vying for our frequency and they most likely will get it because they are commercial stations and that means money. SO. The only option is to find another frequency, and this being New York metro, that is almost impossible. Thats why I'm focusing on webcast. I think its the best thing for us.

08-12-2005 11:45 PM

Webcast will be a great idea!!

And I know I said I'd help last semester but other clubs kinda overwhelmed. With one of the huge stressors out of the way I'll be happy to help out where needed.

Maureen Tauriello 08-15-2005 02:25 PM

Wmnj

To Chris and Amanda et al:

I have passed along your kind words to Pete. As I understand it, you shouldn't abandon hope for getting the license renewed though. Even though there are other applications in there, if they don't get their paperwork in on time or don't meet requirements etc. then you might still have a shot at WMNJ keeping the license. I think Pete said that one of the applications was withdrawn so there may be only two competing applications.

I do think that the webcast is an excellent idea as well, but don't give up the FM license unless absolutely necessary! You will regret it later I think.

I know that not having a communications major is a detriment to running the radio station but I think the bigger issue is commitment from the students...I was on WSOU while in college and I was not a communications major, there were many others who were involved who were not communications majors as well. We just loved WSOU and were totally committed to it. We treated it very seriously and produced a very good quality broadcast schedule of shows. It can be done but you've got to want to, I'm not sure I've seen that yet.

E. Axel Larsson 08-15-2005 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher R. Chesebro
This is great, and it means that we can webcast as soon as I hear back from Academic Tech. I have also tried to contact people there and have never gotten a response after at least a half dozen emails. But that all will get worked out.

"Academic Tech" hasn't existed as a department for 2 years now. Computing and Network Services is who you need to talk to.

Maureen Tauriello 08-16-2005 05:53 PM

wmnj

I thought when you spent the $19K part of the money was going for an automated system that would allow you to run unattended. So that the "no shows" shouldn't have been a problem. What happened to it?:confused:

08-16-2005 08:34 PM

The "automated" shows were cd-recorded radio shows from the DJs themselves. So if the DJs don't record shows, then there's nothing prerecorded, and hence nothing can be played.

Maureen Tauriello 08-18-2005 12:25 PM

wmnj

Maybe you guys are unaware of it, but the automation will allow you to load about 1000 songs into it, you can insert promos, id's, other announcements and it can sound like a live show...its a programming thing and the jocks don't have to record a whole show, the show can run without a DJ per se. Radio stations do it all the time.

:)

08-18-2005 02:38 PM

Automation....

The automation software that we originalyy got wasn't very good, so we switched to a better program. That is was we are currently using and have been for a while now. We are off the air for the second half of the summer because no one could regularly get there to tend it. The automation software will be up and running for the jocks in the fall.

Also, just having automation is not enough. I don't want a station that is just automated. The purpose of a school station is to serve the students and I think that the best way to do that is to have as many jocks on the air as possible.

Maureen Tauriello 08-19-2005 11:46 PM

automation

I agree that the station needs to eventually be more than just automation and in the ideal world you would have tons of students doing shows, but that is not the case right now...and for the time being I think the automation would allow you to serve the students by being on the air regularly and consistently. They need to know that you are there whenever they tune in not hit or miss like it has been. Once you have established consistency then you can worry about staffing and how well it is serving the student community.

09-20-2005 05:45 PM

I'm a first year Theo student and while I was at Seton Hall I always wanted to get involved in the radio station but never had a chance to. I'd love to get involved here at Drew. My email is sajohnso@drew.edu

Steph

Maureen Tauriello 09-21-2005 05:12 PM

wmnj

Hey everybody.

Be listening to WMNJ on Fridays from 4-6 pM for the totally awesome premier of the show hosted by my extremely talented son who is in the Freshman class this year. Go Mark Tauriello!!!

Indulge a proud mom ok??? :)

Maureen Tauriello 10-07-2005 04:40 PM

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Maureen Tauriello 10-07-2005 04:46 PM

wmnj

:rolleyes: Could it be that the staffing problems are due to the fact that when people show up to do their show they get locked out of the station???

:mad: Could it be that the list of phone numbers to call in emergency are out of date????

:eek: Executive board better get on the ball, the freshman are furious and justifiably so.

10-08-2005 01:47 AM

Quote:

:rolleyes: Could it be that the staffing problems are due to the fact that when people show up to do their show they get locked out of the station???

:mad: Could it be that the list of phone numbers to call in emergency are out of date????

:eek: Executive board better get on the ball, the freshman are furious and justifiably so.

It's last year all over again!!!!

I lived right upstairs so everyone came to my room to call the board when they were locked out. And it was really fun when we realized, spring semester, after being locked out of our shows for two weeks that the station had closed. It was even more fun because we found out through an article in the Acorn. And yes, I'm still mad about that. I will be mad about that forever.