Drew Community

Drew Community (https://community.drew.edu//index.php)
-   Technology Discussion (https://community.drew.edu//forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Class email addresses? (https://community.drew.edu//showthread.php?t=2077)

John D. Muccigrosso 01-20-2009 03:38 PM

Class email addresses?

When do these come on line? I just had a message bounce.

Mike Richichi 01-25-2009 04:25 PM

We got these running the middle of last week.

We're looking at discontinuing this service in the future--currently it still runs on the software our old email system ran on, and we feel it is largely supplanted by the functionality to email a class in Moodle (not to mention its discussion board features) and also the "email class" feature in CampusWeb. Thoughts?

John D. Muccigrosso 01-25-2009 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Richichi
We got these running the middle of last week.

We're looking at discontinuing this service in the future--currently it still runs on the software our old email system ran on, and we feel it is largely supplanted by the functionality to email a class in Moodle (not to mention its discussion board features) and also the "email class" feature in CampusWeb. Thoughts?

Yes. Don't discontinue it. :-)

I don't want to have to fire up Moodle to do something as simple as sending an email.

Whatever system you're running email on, is it that hard to script the generation of a bunch of aliases?

Also kill the "courses" part of the server address and just make them @drew.edu (it's impossible for anyone to have an email address like lat-1-001 here at Drew anyway).

I use these a lot and would not want to see them go.

01-25-2009 11:23 PM

I agree with John -- if I'm sending an email, I'm far more likely to be in an email program. Also, if I remember correctly the moodle mail feature doesn't leave a trail in my outbox. It's very useful to have a record of when messages were sent out, and to have them all in one place. [If I'm wrong about that, I still would like to be able to send messages from within email]

Mike Richichi 01-26-2009 11:59 AM

There's always a way, we're just trying to gauge importance so we can prioritize the work. We also do know how many times they're used overall. So we're thinking about it.

01-26-2009 05:33 PM

I didn't realize it was an option, but if I did, I would have used it a lot. This sounds like a great feature.

Daniel Lawson
Assistant Professor of Economics and Business Studies
Drew University

John D. Muccigrosso 01-26-2009 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel M. Lawson
I didn't realize it was an option, but if I did, I would have used it a lot. This sounds like a great feature.

I'd suspect that this technologically savvy faculty member is far from unusual, and that lack of use is more a matter of poor advertising than conscious rejection.