Drew Community

Drew Community (https://community.drew.edu//index.php)
-   Technology Discussion (https://community.drew.edu//forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   The Drew Laptop, and my computer options (https://community.drew.edu//showthread.php?t=1361)

05-06-2008 05:57 PM

The Drew Laptop, and my computer options

Hello! Iím a student thatís set to transfer into Drewís class of 2010 this fall. Iím having a bit of a dilemma. Iím a little lost, and concerning the equipment I would like some help.
I had bought a new laptop at the end of January from HP. Itís a nice laptop, here are its specs..
HP Pavilion dv9700t
Windows vista home premium 32-bit Ė I know Drew doesnít like home premium.. I could change the OS myself, however I am not sure if that would void my laptop of its warranty, which I would like to avoid doing.
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300(2.5GHz)
17Ē WSXGA+ brightview widescreen
3GB DDR2 system memory (2 Dimm) Ė 32 bit operating systems donít recognize anymore than that.
521MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS
HP Imprint radiance, fingerprint reader, webcam built in
Intel pro/wireless 4965 AGN with Bluetooth
320GB 5400RPM SATA Dual HDD
LightScribe super multi 8x dvd+/-rw with dual layer
8 cell lithium ion battery which I plan on getting a spare as it lasts like maybe 2 hrs. I would like a better battery but they donít have a 12 cell for this laptop.
1 year warranty which I plan on extending anyways.

Ideally, I would just like to take this and be on my merry way. But I need approval? Anyways, as a 2nd option, which Iím exploring.. I was wondering about the Drew laptops. Should I be getting one?
If I do plan on getting one, I would like to know the following..
How to order one?
Can I put upgrades on it?
What upgrades are available?
Cost?
Payment plans?

Any other information possible really. The more I know the better I would feel about any choice I make.
Thank you for your time! Hope you can get back to me soon.

Mike Richichi 05-06-2008 06:20 PM

The usual option is for students to get our laptop, even if they have another laptop. The reason is one of support and reliability. There's nothing wrong with your laptop from a personal use perspective (and I'd imagine it'd make a great TV for your room if it has a tuner card) but there's a few reasons it's not a good choice for your primary academic laptop:
  • It's not a business class laptop. The HP Pavilion series are consumer-grade laptops. The difference is in the standarization and reliability of components. Vendors are less consistent in the components they use for consumer laptops. Usually individuals don't care since they're not supporting large numbers, but the consistency issues also relate to overall product quality.
  • It's a very large computer--quite frankly, our standard laptops have trouble fitting on our smaller desks at Drew, and this one wouldn't fit at all. Considering well over half your courses will require you to bring your computer to class, this is a big issue. And with your 2 hour battery life you'll be sweating it out if you're not near an outlet.
We evaluate all exception requests individually, but we do not approve non-business class laptops as a rule, and would need Windows Vista Business or Ultimate (this is not because of our preference--it's because only business-class version of Windows Vista can join a Windows domain and use enterprise management tools, which we leverage extensively.)

Anyway, about our laptop: Check our web site for more information (especially the link to our color brochure about it) but the short answers to your questions: You order it by going to http://www.drew.edu/2012 and stating your preference, we won't selling upgrades directly but hope to have a custom site from Lenovo with options over the summer (really the only ones you'd probably get are a bigger hard drive, more RAM, and an extended battery), the cost is detailed in the brochure, and can either be payed all at once or over four semesters.

Hope this helps. Really, you should read the information on the website to gain a full understanding of the program.

05-06-2008 06:41 PM

This computer actually.. doesnt have a tv tuner card in it. ouch.
Oh well, looks like I'll have to go with the 2nd option.. Which I'm fine with. My dad wants this computer anyways. (He would be really happy with it too.)

I think I'll wait till the summer to order it through the custom lenovo site? Cause thats kinda what I wanted to modify.. Although the laptop really isnt all that different from this one.. Just random features.

Catherine A. Whitley 05-06-2008 09:00 PM

Welcome to Drew!

Mike Richichi 05-06-2008 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin K. Tokarski
This computer actually.. doesnt have a tv tuner card in it. ouch.
Oh well, looks like I'll have to go with the 2nd option.. Which I'm fine with. My dad wants this computer anyways. (He would be really happy with it too.)

I think I'll wait till the summer to order it through the custom lenovo site? Cause thats kinda what I wanted to modify.. Although the laptop really isnt all that different from this one.. Just random features.

You can't order the computer itself from the Lenovo site--it would only be for additional options, that you would install yourself when you got the computer at Orientation.

Another option for you would be to use your current computer in your room as the entertainment center, and get the Tablet PC we offer for your academic work. The tablet is extra portable, lies flat, and can be written on with the stylus. But it sounds like your father has dibs on the Pavilion.

Glad to see you're already working on this and looking forward to seeing you in the fall.

05-06-2008 10:18 PM

Just saw this on the home page and had to give a reply. I was also a transfer student, and can I give you my two cents? That's be don't even bother getting Drew's laptop. I never did, and am VERY happy I didn't. You wouldn't believe some of the horror stories with them. Personally I got a Dell instead and have had *knock on wood* no problems with it, I have more advanced features, the same warranty, and it was actually a lot cheaper.

05-06-2008 10:28 PM

PS- they told me that my original computer (which I did end up getting rid of a year and a half ago) as well as my newer one would never work with the Drew system and such, but guess what, it has.

Mike Richichi 05-06-2008 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelly A. Thomas
Just saw this on the home page and had to give a reply. I was also a transfer student, and can I give you my two cents? That's be don't even bother getting Drew's laptop. I never did, and am VERY happy I didn't. You wouldn't believe some of the horror stories with them. Personally I got a Dell instead and have had *knock on wood* no problems with it, I have more advanced features, the same warranty, and it was actually a lot cheaper.

When you have hundreds of the same computer on campus, of course you'll hear about problems. We know the whole picture and know that overall they've been very reliable. If there are specific issues we deal with them, and if they happen to more than a few computers, we can actually work with the vendor to get them fixed. You can't compare your experience with one computer with our experience with 1500 total.

We also do price comparisons and it would be nearly impossible to beat our pricing on a business-class laptop of equivalent specifications and warranty from another vendor.

Of course any computer will work on the campus network, as in you can plug it in and it will get to the Internet, and you can use webmail and web file access, but if you need to bring it to class and run specialized software, and faculty are depending on your computer working like your classmates' computers, that's when things can get difficult. I can only assume you haven't had to deal with that experience directly. Although we do try to be a little more flexible with transfer students (especially people who transfer in for junior year) there's still a laptop requirement and we expect people to adhere to it.

05-07-2008 04:00 AM

I don't know if you got my message or not.. but i was basically asking about what are the possible customizations that could be done? money isnt really a problem, but i just like know options seeing what to take.. depending on what OS it is (32 or 64 bit) it would kinda determine how much memory i want in there, ect.. stuff like that. specifics and options are needed to be exposed.

E. Axel Larsson 05-07-2008 04:43 AM

Quote:

I don't know if you got my message or not.. but i was basically asking about what are the possible customizations that could be done? money isnt really a problem, but i just like know options seeing what to take.. depending on what OS it is (32 or 64 bit) it would kinda determine how much memory i want in there, ect.. stuff like that. specifics and options are needed to be exposed.

The brochure has the specs that we can release (the standard notebook is a model that Lenovo will not be announcing formally until next month). The machines come with 2GB of RAM standard (I believe one 2GB module in one slot, with the other slot open. Mike will correct me if that's wrong.)

You can add memory to the machine yourself, either by orderng from the Lenovo site or from wherever you prefer to get memory. You can also order accessories from the Lenovo site. What you can't do though is order options like memory to be pre-installed. Drew places a bulk order of several hundred identical machines pre-loaded with our image.

The standard OS will be Vista Enterprise 32-bit (still too many driver and software compatibility issues with Vista 64). Downgrade rights to WinXP is an option and we currently intend to have our standard XP image available for this model as well. Given the OS, there is no value in putting more than 3GB in the machine.

Jason R. Howe 05-07-2008 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelly A. Thomas

I too will give my two cents about transferring in and getting the Drew computer. Do it. I did in when I transferred in for Jan '04 -- I still use my Thinkpad everyday, plus as I was a commuter it was carried on my shoulder for the 3 years I was a student. And now I still use it everyday and bring to work (still at Drew). Laptops I had before this did not hold up as well over the long term.

And this is the problem with individual anecdotal evidence. For every horror story you can find, you can also find a wonderful success story -- although Kelly has no actuall experience with the Drew Laptop, so her evidence is a little hearsay.

05-07-2008 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason R. Howe
I too will give my two cents about transferring in and getting the Drew computer. Do it. I did in when I transferred in for Jan '04 -- I still use my Thinkpad everyday, plus as I was a commuter it was carried on my shoulder for the 3 years I was a student. And now I still use it everyday and bring to work (still at Drew). Laptops I had before this did not hold up as well over the long term.

And this is the problem with individual anecdotal evidence. For every horror story you can find, you can also find a wonderful success story -- although Kelly has no actuall experience with the Drew Laptop, so her evidence is a little hearsay.

Drew is dealing with a pretty good company, and the thinkpads are usually a very solid product. I usually have a hard time finding someone that is not happy with their thinkpad, and when they are unhappy, it is because they aren't that great with computers to begin with.

Jason R. Howe 05-07-2008 10:57 AM

Quote:

Drew is dealing with a pretty good company, and the thinkpads are usually a very solid product. I usually have a hard time finding someone that is not happy with their thinkpad, and when they are unhappy, it is because they aren't that great with computers to begin with.

That's a very interesting observation. Taking that idea and running with it: I'm going to guess that for that subset of users it doesn't matter what computer they have, it's always going to just be a bad computer.

In addition to that I wonder how many people have raging virus and spyware infections that cause computers to run slowly and crash, yet they never seek out help to solve the issue -- because it's easier to say, "this computer sucks" than to fix the issue at hand.

Mike Richichi 05-07-2008 11:14 AM

It is indeed 1 DIMM with one slot open. We wanted to entertain the possibility of going to 4GB or more (I believe the computers will take up to 8GB once 4GB DIMMs are available for it). One could anticipate our eventual support of 64 bit OSes (Vista or the next version of Windows) once the software and drivers are fully fleshed out, and we have the demand to create a new image for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by E. Axel Larsson
The brochure has the specs that we can release (the standard notebook is a model that Lenovo will not be announcing formally until next month). The machines come with 2GB of RAM standard (I believe one 2GB module in one slot, with the other slot open. Mike will correct me if that's wrong.)

You can add memory to the machine yourself, either by orderng from the Lenovo site or from wherever you prefer to get memory. You can also order accessories from the Lenovo site. What you can't do though is order options like memory to be pre-installed. Drew places a bulk order of several hundred identical machines pre-loaded with our image.

The standard OS will be Vista Enterprise 32-bit (still too many driver and software compatibility issues with Vista 64). Downgrade rights to WinXP is an option and we currently intend to have our standard XP image available for this model as well. Given the OS, there is no value in putting more than 3GB in the machine.