Drew Community

Drew Community (https://community.drew.edu//index.php)
-   Announcements & General Discussion (https://community.drew.edu//forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Advice from the ladies, please. (https://community.drew.edu//showthread.php?t=130)

Golbanou Tabatabaie 07-24-2005 04:18 PM

Advice from the ladies, please.

Recommendations for Salons/Spas/Studios/Services?

I'm relatively new to the area, and I haven't had time to scope out the best salons and the like. I need suggestions/recommendations of places in or around Madison for the following services:

* manicure/pedicures
* waxing
* hair salons/stylists, for someone with long hair
* tanning salons
* yoga studios
* massage therapy

and also a good tailor.

I don't mind driving a little bit, but the places need to be moderately priced -- I'm a student, not a millionaire!

Thanks in advance!

07-24-2005 04:24 PM

i give good massages. and i charge nothing. most days...lol.

serious. ask anyone. dia's hands are like magic :D

but believe it or not, health services offers good massages right at drew. at least i've heard only positive reviews so far. i don't remember just how much they cost though.

also, yoga is offered through the school, and im almost positive that there is a yoga studio right in town, a ten minute walk. again, not sure of the price.

everything else i remain ignorant on. i cut my hair at home and my nails never get longer than my fingertips. therefore i am useless.

:)

dia

Saul Saul 07-25-2005 11:04 PM

I'm not even going to start on how horridly sexist this is... I'm just going to give you some of the place I've been for most of the things you've listed...

Manicures/Pedicures
Elite Nails in Madison isn't bad, but I prefer Carousel Nail Salon over in Chatham.
There's also a place over here in Morristown that does a very nice exfoliating hand massage with thier manicures called Cattano Nails.. I think... It's on CAttano Ave in Morristown either way.

Waxing.
Now this one I have to admit I've not had done, because I like my hair.

Hair Salons/Stylists.
The two I knew in madison are both gone now, but over at London World Connection in Morristowh there are some pretty cool women who seem to know what they are doing from the work I've seen them do.

Tanning salons
Depends on what kind of tanning you want to do. If it's real tanning, I'd go out to Beach Bum tanning on RT 10 in East Hanover. If you want sunless, well you could do that still, but you might be just as good with Hollywood Tans in Morristown. Course there is a tanning place in madison, but I've never been myself.

Yoga Studio
I've heard massively good things about the studio in downtown madison, so you might want to check their prices.

Massage Therapy
You got good advice. The massage I had at the Health Services was top notch and cost effective.

Tailors I can't put up with most of the time, so you're on your own there.

Golbanou Tabatabaie 07-26-2005 01:00 AM

Ahh, I apologise for sounding sexist, I just figured a thread subject like that would get some attention!

Thanks to both of you for your advice, too. I'm going to have to check those places out!

Golbanou Tabatabaie 08-23-2005 06:08 PM

Does anyone else has any opinions/ideas?

*bump*

08-26-2005 03:35 AM

as far as massages i've heard Holloway 324 is great...

Golbanou Tabatabaie 08-26-2005 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noah C. Rosenfield
as far as massages i've heard Holloway 324 is great...

Oh wow, I'll be sure to frequent that place + eat all their food + put my feet up on all their furniture + get my free massages. :D

Golbanou Tabatabaie 02-13-2006 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John S. Saul

Hair Salons/Stylists.
The two I knew in madison are both gone now, but over at London World Connection in Morristowh there are some pretty cool women who seem to know what they are doing from the work I've seen them do.

Ok, so this place, London World Connection, rules. I went over and had a haircut with Jessica the other day, and I was very very pleased. The staff are friendly, the place is clean, the prices are affordable, and overall the salon has a very modern/rocker/retro feel. It's mostly young, hip girls, which made me very happy -- if someone understands today's styles, and they look good themselves, then they will make you look good.

Thanks for the recommendation!!!

02-14-2006 12:34 AM

how much do things cost over there?
i really need someone to fix my color soon.

Golbanou Tabatabaie 02-14-2006 01:30 PM

Each stylist is different, but Jessica's prices are $50 for a cut, style, and blowdry, $60 for a single process colour, and then the price goes up from there for complicated colour.