Thread: Bed lofting
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2006, 07:46 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

You have several options:
  1. You can bunk the beds, putting your roomate's bed on top of your bed. To do this, you need four pins (free from reslife [I think reslife]), and some strong people to help you.
  2. you can flip your bed, if you have the bottom bed, with higher posts. this will raise the bed about two feet off the ground, allowing you to put more stuff under it.
  3. you can buy bed raisers. They raise the bed about 8 inches up.
  4. combine step 2 and 3.
  5. You can get the Drew lofts. They raise the bed about three feet, I think. They cost (IIRC) about $100, and it it set up for you.
  6. You can build your own loft. It needs to meet the specifications from reslife, which aren't online (or I just can't find them). Basically, if built of wood, the posts need to be 4" by 4" (which I don't believe the beds are, interestingly), and the wood needs to be treated so it's not a fire hazard. There's more, but those are the most important ones. This takes the most time. You need to build it, transport it, set it up, and take it down yourself.
  7. Buy a loft. Still needs to be sturdy, and such. You set it up yourself. I bought a loft from a website that I don't believe is up anymore. It cost about $200.
Lofting works great for me. It allows me to have a couch under my bed. That's a lot more space in any room.