View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 09:35 AM
Squirrel

Benjamin, as of last year, most of the dorm buildings have an in-building Distributed Antenna System (DAS) which provides good coverage for AT&T and Verizon customers. The system is not perfect, and some AT&T customers in particular report an abnormal number of dropped calls, but in general it does work, and we rarely receive complaints from Verizon customers about coverage in a building that has DAS. It may be that your experience with poor Verizon coverage predated the installation of this system. The system also does not cover Asbury, Hoyt, Wendel or Tipple.

James started this thread by saying coverage with T-mobile was not good, and as a former T-mobile customer I can also say that it's not great on campus, though it probably is better than sprint in most cases.

As for the other carriers you mentioned, most are either part of one of the "big 4" (Alltel is mostly owned by Verizon, Helio is owned by Virgin Mobile) or they operate on another carrier's network (Virgin Mobile and Boost Mobile both use Sprint's network).

The only exception might be Nextel, which is part of Sprint but still has a separate network infrastructure. It's possible Nextel coverage on campus is amazing. However, their network is very small and I believe Sprint is planning to phase it out entirely in the not-to-distant future, so even if they did have good on-campus coverage I'm not sure it would be worthwhile to switch.

Last edited by Ethan G. Marsh : 10-19-2011 at 09:53 AM.