View Single Post
Old 07-01-2005, 10:08 AM
Gary A. Hochman

Default Best setup for multiple users?

Ok, here is the situation:
Organization has brand new, nice computer on the Drew Network. Multiple users will have to use this computer to accomplish various tasks. I am looking for the best way to give them the most usability, without allowing them to screw up the computer very much. If it was just a regular XP pro machine not on the Drew Network, I would have created a new user account that everyone would be able to log into. However, since it is on the network I canít really do that.

Right now the way I am doing it is I set my login to be an administrator and the rest of Drew-Ad/Stu to be added to the User group. I am not sure if this is the best option though. One of the things I would like to be able to do, if possible, is to create a common Firefox profile that everyone would use. Under the current implementation, however, every new user starts with the original default profile. The only way that I can think of right now to give everyone the same profile is to wait until they log in the first time, then copy the profile to their specific firefox directory, which would be quite annoying. Also, I am not sure if the settings for the User group will allow them to run all the programs they will need to (at the moment the list is only things like Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Pagemaker, and Finale, but it will probably expand in the future), but I think making everyone Power Users might allow them to do too much damage to the system. Any suggestions?