Thread: The Commons
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 12:18 PM
Ranger Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah E. Wolfe
They give us little symbols for vegan, vegetarian, containing dairy or tree nuts, but that still doesn't tell you much as far as what's actually in the food and I can't tell you how many times they slap tofu on a label and call it a day when it's a completely different item.

I've only ever had frustration with the manager of the commons, not the people working there - however I do think it's wrong that asking any staff member about the food presented, none of them know what it is. That's frustrating. Personally I think the suggestion cards on the bulletin board are all very condescending, as soon as you point out something wrong they write you an essay back about how YOU are wrong - if they respond at all.

It's just one big fucked up mess, in my opinion.

I agree with you and would like to append that while they mark things as vegan (sometimes), they don't actually mark things that are explicitly vegetarian. On the explanation of the symbols, "Veggie" is defined as "contains no meat but may contain milk, eggs or other animal byproducts." When I wrote on a comment card asking what those other byproducts were, I was told a list of things that included gelatin and Worcestershire sauce, neither of which are vegetarian. They mark things as "veggie" to mean "mostly vegetarian, possibly not really." In the Commons' understanding, "vegetarians" are people who are okay with eating food containing fish oils, meat stocks and pig-bone derivatives, and their only vegetarian standard is food that doesn't contain visible, identifiable chunks of meat--not that meat in Commons dishes is usually visible or identifiable. Ditto the fucked-up mess.
Webmaster, Drew Alliance