Thread: Welcome!!
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2005, 12:05 PM
Saman Asheer

Default 30 Days series on FX

Thanks Henry, you're pretty cool, too. The MSA will miss you next year!

So there's this show on FX called 30 Days. It's a reality show where they put people in a community or in a situation that they dislike/are afraid of/or have preconceived notions about for 30 days. Two days ago, the show consisted of a Conservative Christian American man who was pretty scared of Muslims and wanted to find out if they were really all terrorists and why they hated him. The show put him in Dearborn, Michigan for thirty days, a very Muslim town. He had to dress like a muslim (there isn't really a "muslim dress" in that sense, so he just dressed like the people in Dearborn did). He also had to do everything that Muslims do, like pray, not drink alcohol, keep Halal food restrictions (not eating any pig meat).
Anyway, it was pretty interesting, and the guy learned a lot. My favorite part of the show was when he came into contact with a lawyer for CAIR (Council on American Islamic Relations) who asked him to take around a petition that asked congress to stop legislation on racial profiling. The guy had a pretty hard time, because he had to deal with a lot of people who said no, even people who would experience racial profiling on a day to day basis. One of the very important and interesting things he said, was "I have to defend myself to Americans, but I'm already an American." To me, that epitomizes what a lot of American Muslims feel. And that is how his host family felt. At the end of the day, they are all Americans.
Anyway, I liked the show for the most part. Any of you have comments on it? Post them! I'd be interested to know.