Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students > Current CLA students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2006, 06:22 PM
Mary Richmond

Default Bed lofting

Okay, so I'm wondering... is there a way to loft the beds? What's the school's policy on it? More importantly, how does one go about doing it?
Old 07-30-2006, 07:02 PM
Alicia E. Lutes

From Daniel's Dictionary:

"Lofts: Anyone desiring a loft must
first acquire a “loft guide” from the
Office of Residence Life Web site
and then observe the appropriate
guidelines. For example, furniture
cannot be placed on top of a loft nor
can a loft be created by placing a
mattress on top of other University
furniture (such as a desk). Failure to
follow official guidelines will result in
the immediate removal of the loft at
the owner’s expense.
Please note that, due to fire-safety
precautions, lofts cannot be stored
over the summer."

However, I can't seem to find the guide on the website, so I would call reslife at 973.408.3394 or email reslife at: reslife@drew.edu

I also know that you can rent a loft from Drew for the semester, or bring one from home, however there are certain specifications that must be met before it is approved by reslife.

hope this helps!
Old 07-30-2006, 07:46 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

You have several options:
  1. You can bunk the beds, putting your roomate's bed on top of your bed. To do this, you need four pins (free from reslife [I think reslife]), and some strong people to help you.
  2. you can flip your bed, if you have the bottom bed, with higher posts. this will raise the bed about two feet off the ground, allowing you to put more stuff under it.
  3. you can buy bed raisers. They raise the bed about 8 inches up.
  4. combine step 2 and 3.
  5. You can get the Drew lofts. They raise the bed about three feet, I think. They cost (IIRC) about $100, and it it set up for you.
  6. You can build your own loft. It needs to meet the specifications from reslife, which aren't online (or I just can't find them). Basically, if built of wood, the posts need to be 4" by 4" (which I don't believe the beds are, interestingly), and the wood needs to be treated so it's not a fire hazard. There's more, but those are the most important ones. This takes the most time. You need to build it, transport it, set it up, and take it down yourself.
  7. Buy a loft. Still needs to be sturdy, and such. You set it up yourself. I bought a loft from a website that I don't believe is up anymore. It cost about $200.
Lofting works great for me. It allows me to have a couch under my bed. That's a lot more space in any room.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:57 AM
Benjamin R. Shedlock

You can get the Drew lofts. They raise the bed about three feet, I think. cost (IIRC They) about $100, and it it set up for you.

It's more than three. I lofted last year to fit my bikes in my room. It was bunk bed level. People fit chests of drawers and desks under them. They're swweeeeet
Old 07-31-2006, 12:19 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

Did you flip your bed too? the ones I recall seeing aren't that high, but I could be wrong.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:27 PM
Benjamin R. Shedlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary C. Kanfer
Did you flip your bed too? the ones I recall seeing aren't that high, but I could be wrong.

Haha, who know? May was such a long time ago!

But no, I didn't flip the bed. I could have, but never got around to it. I think though, that I had 5 feet. My dresser barely slid under it, so that's the height it gave me.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:27 AM
Elder Drewid

Quote:
  1. you can buy bed raisers. They raise the bed about 8 inches up.

Warning: this step may lead to Dia and Golly on their backs under the bed......and things......
Old 08-09-2006, 09:53 AM
Dia O'Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golly Tabatabaie
Warning: this step may lead to Dia and Golly on their backs under the bed......and things......

uh yeah - about that. feeling up for a repeat performance this year? you're going to be my main move-in recruit
Old 08-09-2006, 11:10 AM
Zachary C. Kanfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golly Tabatabaie

*raises eyebrow*

And you should totally run through the halls on move-in day, finding freshman who are putting their beds on risers, helping them, then jumping under for a while before running away.

It'd be hi-larious.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:25 AM
Dia O'Neil

Quote:
*raises eyebrow*

And you should totally run through the halls on move-in day, finding freshman who are putting their beds on risers, helping them, then jumping under for a while before running away.

It'd be hi-larious.

hmmm...perhaps we could even charge a small fee? "welcome to drew! two for the price of one!" that's pretty cheap for a linguist and a persian.