Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Gripes
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2005, 02:18 PM
Justin M. Giza

I'm now playing with the wireless in LC. No off-campus content will load (with or without the proxy enabled). This includes content in the browsers (presently using Firefox).

When trying to run an IP trace as a test, it goes no further than Hop 2. Everything was working perfectly, and then it just... stopped. It's been down for almost 10 minutes now.

Anyone else happen to notice anything odd?

EDIT: It kicked back in shortly after I posted this. Weird though!

Last edited by Justin M. Giza : 11-16-2005 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:33 PM
Thomas G. DiLemmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Axel Larsson
You couldn't get a DSL in your room. The demaraction point for all of Verizon's service to the campus is in the front of campus. Verizon won't run service to your dorm room.

If there was a need for a DSL drop somewhere on campus, it would have to be business class DSL (because we're a University). Verizon would terminate is on the front side of campus, and Drew would have to supply the copper back to the location where the DSL was to be deployed.

Also, why are you using PCAnywhere and not Windows Remote Desktop? RDP is much more efficent with bandwidth usage and doesn't have the screen refresh issues that PCAnywhere tends to.
PCAnywhere and Remote Desktop both don't work. Why? Cause they time out on connect!!! My home connection is a cable line, amazing speed even compared to other cablevision lines.

However this network can't even connect to my home PC. It times out from the horrific lag and mediocre speed. I'm just dumbfounded on how slow this .edu connection is.

I don't know how far I can complain about this, or how we can fix this, but it is astonishing.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. DiLemmo
PCAnywhere and Remote Desktop both don't work. Why? Cause they time out on connect!!! My home connection is a cable line, amazing speed even compared to other cablevision lines.

However this network can't even connect to my home PC. It times out from the horrific lag and mediocre speed. I'm just dumbfounded on how slow this .edu connection is.

I don't know how far I can complain about this, or how we can fix this, but it is astonishing.
OK.. I'm Remote Desktoped into my home PC right now from my office. My Home PC is on Optimum Online. This has always worked correctly from here.

Last edited by E. Axel Larsson : 11-16-2005 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:18 PM
Thomas G. DiLemmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Axel Larsson
OK.. I'm Remote Desktoped into my home PC right now from my office. My Home PC is on Optimum Online. This has always worked correctly from here.
How about we open up the Guild Wars port a little more?
Port : 6112

Sorry about the tense language. It is at of pure frustration. Apologies.

WoW uses 3714 and 6112 as well.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:11 PM
Junior Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. DiLemmo
I'm just dumbfounded on how slow this .edu connection is.

You realize that the nature of the top-level domain (edu, com, org, etc.) is irrelevant, right? It's purely a matter of the size of the pipe and the demand on it.

That said, though it seems that there may be an issue with the internet server students use, also realize that you and your fellow students hit the network pretty hard with filesharing and other network-intensive activities.

Right now at home I get 4+ Mbit/s downloads. A full T1 is 1.5 Mbit/s, and a T3 is 45 Mbit/s (30x a T1). From Dave's chart, it looks like we have 13 Mbit/s download capability. Since there are about 1500 or you, you'd need a lot of T3s to get what Cablevision effectively offers home users (on the download side, anyway). Of course, I don't use a full 4.3 Mbit/s every minute of the day, but collectively students use about 11 Mbit/s, again from Dave's charts.

A full T3 costs maybe $10k a month? That's a lot. Do the math and see what home-cable quality service would cost per student, if we could even get that kind of pipeline in to Drew, which I doubt.

Don't confuse what seems to be a problem with the internet server with the amount of available bandwidth (which is, as Mike as said, lower than IT would like to see).
Old 11-16-2005, 09:22 PM

Two small, quick points:

1) We have found some definite issues where things aren't doing what they're supposed to. We're trying several things to untangle what's going on. No matter what we do in this regard, though, this is only going to spread around the pain slightly differently.

2) We're investigating options to get more bandwidth, cheaply and quickly. I can't say much more about that because I don't have all the answers yet, and even when I do, we have to pay for it, which I think is possible but you never know.

People are working on this and do care a lot. I know it's easy to demonize people who work here as a nebulous "other" who are only seeking to make your lives miserable, but I would hope people could be a little more mature and rational and realize it wouldn't really be all that enjoyable to be intentionally malicious to hundreds of students all at once. It also wouldn't be something we could get away with for long. We will work on this, and things will get a little better soon, and hopefully a lot better next semester.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:44 AM
Justin M. Giza

First off, thanks for looking into this, Mike and all the others.

Also Thom, I'm pretty sure that the port numbers aren't the problem right now. Like I said, you get a pretty darn good connection in any of the other academic buildings. Games and other programs with high port numbers run flawlessly, etc. So the stop-up doesn't appear to be the port numbers, it's however the connection is routed. Or something. I don't know. As Mike noted in the previous post, somethin' crazy is going on, and they're workin' on it.

Finally... World of Warcraft uses port 3724, not 3714.

Last edited by Justin M. Giza : 11-17-2005 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:37 PM
Thomas G. DiLemmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin M. Giza
First off, thanks for looking into this, Mike and all the others.

Also Thom, I'm pretty sure that the port numbers aren't the problem right now. Like I said, you get a pretty darn good connection in any of the other academic buildings. Games and other programs with high port numbers run flawlessly, etc. So the stop-up doesn't appear to be the port numbers, it's however the connection is routed. Or something. I don't know. As Mike noted in the previous post, somethin' crazy is going on, and they're workin' on it.

Finally... World of Warcraft uses port 3724, not 3714.
Well first like I said I apologize for getting hasty to anyone offended. It was pure frustration.

A few weeks ago I believe Guild Wars worked fairly well for me. There was lag but not terrible lag. The only thing is that I couldn't do vent or TS with the game which was unfortunate.

I wish the network people luck. Don't pay attention to my comments, I am the one who punches the monitor when a program doesn't load quick enough.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:07 PM
Squirrel

Quote:
I'm now playing with the wireless in LC. No off-campus content will load (with or without the proxy enabled). This includes content in the browsers (presently using Firefox).

When trying to run an IP trace as a test, it goes no further than Hop 2. Everything was working perfectly, and then it just... stopped. It's been down for almost 10 minutes now.

Anyone else happen to notice anything odd?

I trust you logged in and all that... By attempting to load an off-site web page and entering your login information?

Last edited by David J. Wilson : 11-20-2005 at 07:07 PM. Reason: de-bolding my comment
Old 11-20-2005, 07:25 PM
Squirrel

Sorry I missed you this week, I was out due to illness. I'll be in back Monday afternoon, so stop by and we'll discuss this at greater length. I don't really want to say anything or draw any conclusions before I'm able to go into Drew and try some things for myself.

Oh, the only other question I had was whether or not you reset that Pingplotter program to use udp from each location. Well I'm not sure that you even had to, but it's worth checking.

Quote:
I went and talked to Chris in networking to see what he thought of it, and he said he'd pass it along to Dave (who asked me to collect this data in the first place).

So... they're doing what they can, folks. Hopefully this data I put together will help alleviate some things.

Last edited by David J. Wilson : 11-20-2005 at 07:28 PM.