Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Technology Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Eliza D. Mills

Default Pop-ups

Within the last 3 or 4 days my computer has been getting dozens of popup ads, even when I don't have Mozilla or Internet Explorer open. Starting today, Mozilla and Internet Explorer cannot even load my homepage or any other website. Maybe it's a virus, I really don't know? I'm completely ignorant about computers so if anyone could help me fix this problem I would really appreciate it! The only thing I have tried to do is run an F-prot virus detector on my hard drive and it said nothing was detected...but I wouldn't even know if that is even the right thing to run it on.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Ranger Cub

It sounds like your machine may be infected with spyware/adware. Your Drew laptop has software pre-installed on it to remove spyware. Head to your Start Menu -> All Programs -> Spybot - Search & Destroy and run the program. If it's your first time running it, it'll prompt you to do a registry backup (good idea) and definitions update (imperative idea). Just run the scan on there - at the end it'll confirm you wish to remove everything it's found.

If you've installed software which requires adware to run, and it stops working, everything you remove in Spybot stays in a "quarantine" where you can restore it if need be.

If you're still having problems, feel free to either call or bring it to the CNS help desk. They'll walk you through using the software, or if you don't have the time (or don't feel comfortable doing it), you can intake it with them and they'll clean it out for you.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:07 PM
Heather M. Greco

Default yep

It just happened to me too. I took it to the helpdesk after I ran spybot and the pop ups still kept coming. They can try to get rid of the spyware, but in my opinion it will take a lot less time to back up your stuff and get the computer reimaged (because they might have to reimage it anyway.) I agree you should try spybot first though and in the end it its up to you to decide weather to take it to the help desk or not. Good Luck. Heather
Old 08-18-2008, 02:26 PM
Farah Joseph

same thing happened to me last year, cns couldn't fix it so they ordered me a new hard drive. Make sure you have everything save on a external device first
Old 08-18-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farah Joseph
same thing happened to me last year, cns couldn't fix it so they ordered me a new hard drive. Make sure you have everything save on a external device first
It couldn't have been the same thing. A virus or other software problem will not require replacement of the hard drive. A replacement hard drive will only be ordered if there is a hardware problem with the hard drive.

Reimaging the computer as Heather indicated however, may be required, depending on the severity of the malware infection and whether it is possible or practical to remove.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Ranger Cub

Just to clarify further, CNS will always attempt to clear spyware off a machine. If a computer is too heavily infected with spyware/malware/virii, CNS will recommend a re-image and back up to 10GB of your data on the network servers, re-image, and replace your documents. The hard drive will only have to be replaced if it's damaged, which is out of anyone's control. This may also prevent some data from being backed up, if it's on a corrupted sector of the drive.

It is indeed faster to just request a re-image than having CNS attempt to remove spyware from your machine. Due to the big rush of computers which come in at the beginning of each semester, you may wish to consider this option if everything you need is easily backed up.