Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Gripes
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2010, 12:19 AM
Squirrel

yerp a derp

Last edited by Suzanne M. Dalziel : 05-05-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:18 AM
Mary R. Richmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne M. Dalziel
Next time you discover your box of condoms is empty when it's just the right moment to have sex, you can thank Drew for your blue balls.

I have to admit this made me laugh, but I do agree with you. I think condoms should be sold on campus so people can have the option of buying them, though again, if they were sold at the bookstore/C-store, you would not be able to get them on Friday or Saturday nights at all. The fact that Health Services is only open 10-2 on Saturday is not really helpful, either. If you are really that concerned, though, get someone to take you to Target so you can stockpile-- the ones at Stop n Shop are obscenely expensive (as I am sure they would be if Drew started selling them on campus).
Old 02-23-2010, 09:03 AM
Squirrel

In my opinion, if someone finds it too embarrassing to grab free condoms...then maybe they shouldn't be having sex. If they're going to have sex, they should be able to be mature about it and feel comfortable taking the necessary safety measures to prevent a STD/STI or an unwanted pregnancy. I'd imagine it being more embarrassing buying a pregnancy test or the medication to treat the herpes (not to mention to mention telling future partners) received because of too much pride to grab free protection. Overall, condoms = the golden ticket from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

And Mary has a point, if Drew sells condoms at the C-store, they would be ridiculous in price like the food.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Mary R. Richmond

Amy, you make a good point, but the original poster pointed out that people who have special needs-- i.e., allergy to latex or sensitivity to the lubricant/spermicide in most condoms (though I don't know if Health Services's condoms have lubricant/spermicide or not) have no other options on-campus. Personally, I don't know why people would want to spend $10 for a six pack of condoms, which is what the C-store/book store would likely charge, but I think the original poster's point is that those options should be available. However, to answer the question posed in the title of this thread: No, I don't think Drew is against safe sex. We're all adults here. If it's that important to you, stockpile condoms for those unexpected occasions.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Squirrel

derpity derp derp

Last edited by Suzanne M. Dalziel : 05-05-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:46 PM
Squirrel

herp herp herp

Last edited by Suzanne M. Dalziel : 05-05-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:42 PM
Ranger Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy S. Wheeler
In my opinion, if someone finds it too embarrassing to grab free condoms...then maybe they shouldn't be having sex. If they're going to have sex, they should be able to be mature about it and feel comfortable taking the necessary safety measures to prevent a STD/STI or an unwanted pregnancy. I'd imagine it being more embarrassing buying a pregnancy test or the medication to treat the herpes (not to mention to mention telling future partners) received because of too much pride to grab free protection. Overall, condoms = the golden ticket from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

And Mary has a point, if Drew sells condoms at the C-store, they would be ridiculous in price like the food.

I agree with this sentiment, and I would like to point out to the OP that "It's awkward to get condoms from Health Services!!" is not relevant to the original argument of "Drew should provide nonlatex condoms for people with latex allergy." If you have a latex allergy AND are too awkward to quickly grab free (nonlatex) condoms, you shouldn't be having sex.
Webmaster, Drew Alliance
Old 02-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary R. Richmond
Amy, you make a good point, but the original poster pointed out that people who have special needs-- i.e., allergy to latex or sensitivity to the lubricant/spermicide in most condoms (though I don't know if Health Services's condoms have lubricant/spermicide or not) have no other options on-campus.

I'm aware of the original post attention. I was responding to a later post saying that some students might find it too embarrassing to go to health services and grab the free condoms.

As for non-latex, maybe a student should mention the allergy to health services because it could be they are not aware of a demand for them. Currently they offer non-lubricated and lubricated. Health Services is pretty damn good when it comes to Sex Health and Women's Health. They offer birth control pills for $20 and they also offer emergency contraceptive for $20. If you buy emergency contraceptive at CVS it's somewhere around $48. So it's practically a steal the way Health Services has the student's back when the condom fails.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Squirrel

The cost of birth control at Health Services isn't actually anything to brag about. For those of us who have some form of insurance: you can get a script from a doctor and pick up packs at the pharmacy in town for all of $5/month versus $20/month...So health services makes you pay $240/year versus $60....While I agree with and understand that it would be best for Health Services to provide latex-free, etc condoms...I think that, otherwise, the issue at hand is that if you're not brave enough to walk in and take some free condoms provided they're what you need, then I agree with what some others have said- you should rethink being sexually active until you're mature enough to do so.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Ranger Cub

I just wanted to point out that RAs have condoms for residents as well. While knocking on our doors and asking for one might be more embarassing than grabbing a free one at health services, this option is available at all hours of the night considering there are RAs on duty every night.