Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Technology Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2008, 12:37 AM
Squirrel

Default Useable HD space on T61

I have a Lenovo T61 laptop (class of 2011 machine) with a ~100 GB hard drive. It is telling me I am out of space even though I only have ~35 GB of files on it-- does that sound right? Is the rest taken up by the OS and Office?

Thanks!
Patrick
Old 07-11-2008, 02:18 AM
Ranger Cub

The laptop's hard drive space is split between two drives: a local disk (C:, primarily for software installation, and a user data disk (I:, which focuses on a user's documents. Since the I: drive contains both the My Documents folder as well as the Desktop, it can fill up faster than you might think. Go to My Computer and check out your free space on the C: drive - unless you have a ton of data-heavy programs installed, you should still have plenty more space to use on the C: drive.

Just don't forget about those files if you ever need them backed up by CNS.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:41 PM
Squirrel

Default Don't see an I drive

Thanks Stephan. I don't see an I: drive under My Computer. Besides the C: drive, the only other drive is the D: (dvd) drive. C: drive properties says 103 GB capacity, 102 GB used. Everything I've ever put on the computer (music, photos & Office documents) is under My Documents, which takes up 32 GB.

Ideas?

thanks!

Patrick
Old 07-14-2008, 04:39 PM
Heather M. Greco

I would get it checked out because it takes a long time to fill up 100 gbs and also check to make sure you didn't install a lot of high memory programs like games or things off the internet something like that. You computer also saves your history on the interenet. I don't know how much memory it uses but having a lot of favorited websites could take up some memory. P.S. if you have a lot of videos those can take up A LOT of space.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:36 PM
Junior Drewid

Have you tried deleting your cache & cookies and temp files and defragging your hard drive?
Old 07-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Squirrel

Default can't defrag

Thanks Heather & Rachel!
Deleating temp files and such freed up ~4 GB. The disk is too full to defrag (according to the software). I've installed no games and virtually no programs or videos.

Any idea how much of the hard drive is tied up with Windows and Office?
Old 07-23-2008, 01:42 PM
Ranger Cub

On my computer both take up about 6GB together, and that's with a full install of Office 2007 and a sizeable WinSXS cache. So I highly doubt it's Windows and Office. What programs do you have installed on the computer besides Windows and Office and the standard Drew fare. Perhaps you should take it to the helpdesk? Basement of BC 9AM - 5PM all summer long.