Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Gripes
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2009, 12:40 PM
Squirrel

Post Accommodations For Students Who Live Further Away.

I've noticed this past year that students that must travel here from far away are not given much consideration when it comes to coming back to campus after a lengthy break.

For instance, I live in North Carolina and I had to come back early at the beginning of the school year for training week. A week before I had to go back I tried to make arrangements to pick up my key because I knew the train would arrive long after the office of residence life closed and they did work with me a little, saying I could pick up the key from someone by nine. If I arrived after that then I would be out of luck. Well I arrived much later because my train got delayed a few hours, I had to sleep in the Baldwin lounge because I could not get into my room.

I can't be the only person that's had this or a similar problem. Maybe there is a reason they won't leave keys at public safety for late arrivals but I think something should be done about this. Travel is rather unpredictable and there should be some way for people who don't make it back on time to have access to their rooms and/or keys.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Antoinette J. Frazer

I don't know the whole situation, but could you have asked your RA or RD to open your door for the time being.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Blake J. Gideon

They left my key at public safety at the beginning of last semester b/c I flew in after check in. I don't know why you couldn't get the same treatment, a lot of the administrative staff here are clueless. You really have to bug them sometimes to get what you NEED.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:16 PM
Blake J. Gideon

Instead of sleeping in the lounge, you should have got a hotel room and sent Drew the bill.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:38 PM
Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinette J. Frazer
I don't know the whole situation, but could you have asked your RA or RD to open your door for the time being.

Nobody was around when I got in, otherwise I would've.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:46 PM
Junior Drewid

Yeah,

The school really has only made small attempts to help students from outside the tri state area. I don't see it improving at all before I graduate (i'm only a sophmore mind you). I also know that alot of the time things like student government get no where fast and that the administration has alot bigger problems so this one gets pushed aside. If your really want to see a change and intend to make it stick I think you should attempt a petition with the names of every student who's not from the area and then bring your conserns to the presidents office. NOT the open hour since thats a joke and they really only want to hear things they are ready for and can knock down.

If you don't feel like trying to inflict a real change via that route its sadly going to continue untill someone will.

Last edited by Brandon W. Talley : 01-30-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon W. Talley
Yeah,

The school really has only made small attempts to help students from outside the tri state area. I don't see it improving at all before I graduate (i'm only a sophmore mind you). I also know that alot of the time things like student government get no where fast and that the administration has alot bigger problems so this one gets pussed aside. If your really want to see a change and intend to make it stick I think you should attempt a petition with the names of every student who's not from the area and then bring your conserns to the presidents office. NOT the open hour since thats a joke and they really only want to hear things they are ready for and can knock down.

If you don't feel like trying to inflict a real change via that route its sadly going to continue untill someone will.

That's a really good idea. Perhaps I could send out a campus wide e-mail seeing as it would be hard to track down every person that lives far from the area. I really would like to get some policy set into place that makes it easier on anybody with this problem.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:42 PM
Junior Drewid

Well thats a good idea as is making posts daily here on the forum as well as posting them around campus. Also asking professors to mention it in classes normaly isn't as hard as you think since they seem to care a hell of alot more then the administration does in almost any matter
Old 02-05-2009, 11:56 AM
Squirrel

I had similar issues than once when I was a student, but I was always able to get my key at Public Safety. I don't know the particulars of your case, so maybe there was some reason why that was not possible this time.

I would advise you to do a little more digging and try to figure out what exactly the problem was. Tell ResLife what happened and ask them what you should next time to ensure you don't have to sleep in the lounge. And don't accept "you have to get here by X time" because that doesn't work. There has to be a plan B in case you miss the deadline. If you don't get satisfactory answers, go up the chain of command until you do.

If you find that there simply are not policies in place to accommodate people in your situation (a likely scenario since Drew has a serious policy deficiency), then I think the petition idea makes sense, and the specific goal should be to convince the administration to create such policies. If policies exist and were not followed in your case, then a different course of action is needed.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:02 AM
Squirrel

Write a letter to The Acorn about it!