Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students > Current CLA students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2006, 08:57 PM
Jacqueline DiLorenzo

Default Packing list

(This is cross-posted to the c/o 2010 Facebook group.)

I found a really amazing packing list online...

http://acatnamedollie.livejournal.com/39...

It's really comprehensive, and it covers how to take care of yourself in college, first aid, etc etc. I'm halfway through it and it's been quite helpful. I definitely recommend looking at this. Some girl from another school wrote it, so some of it doesn't apply to us, but 99% of it does.

Here's another packing list, from FastWeb.
http://www.fastweb.com/fastweb/resources...

I think you need to be a member to see it, but sign up anyway, because it's a great site and has all kinds of scholarship information.

30 days!

edit:

Here's the "What to Bring" list from Drew:
http://depts.drew.edu/reslife/what_to_bring.htm

Last edited by Jacqueline DiLorenzo : 08-01-2006 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:34 PM

Default Good list

Of course, you'll be getting your laptop when you get to Drew, so you don't need to bring one unless you want to have two computers (which is fine with us, as long as you have the Drew laptop for your coursework). Some people have a desktop for gaming, or one of those widescreen monstrosities to use for DVDs and as a TV. But the only computer you need is the Drew laptop.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:35 PM
Benjamin R. Shedlock

As long as you're putting them out there, reslife has one posted too. I'm too lazy to get the link, but departments-->reslife--> and there's a link from there.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:27 PM
Dia O'Neil

and just know that, no matter what anybody tells you or how well you think you've done, you will inevitably bring WAY too much stuff your freshman year :-p
Old 08-01-2006, 10:52 PM
Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dia O'Neil
and just know that, no matter what anybody tells you or how well you think you've done, you will inevitably bring WAY too much stuff your freshman year :-p

I agree with that. The majority of stuff I brought sat unused in my closet until I had the arguous task of packing it to go home....

I think just about everybody has the experience of throwing out vast amounts of things you brought or bought and just never used..

"I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence."
Old 08-01-2006, 10:53 PM
Jacqueline DiLorenzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin R. Shedlock
As long as you're putting them out there, reslife has one posted too. I'm too lazy to get the link, but departments-->reslife--> and there's a link from there.

Cool, thanks. I'll put that one up, too.

It's funny because so far I've only bought a pair of sheets. :/
Old 08-01-2006, 11:41 PM
Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by acatnamedollie:
11. For your computer, check for viruses weekly. I recommend using both Ad-aware and Spybot -- when used together, they get rid of almost all found viruses.

Just for edification (the list is obviously not oriented at computer security), these two programs rarely detect newly released viruses, even when used in conjunction. They work well for adware and spyware, but not so well for viruses. This is of course because they're not designed specifically for viruses. CNS offers the antivirus program F-Prot, it comes pre-installed on the laptops. It works pretty well, it has real time protection, scan on demand, and frequent updates. But it does not detect everything and vigilance is required by the user in order to keep the computer safe. No anti-virus software will allow you to have free roaming all over the internet and allow you to stay protected, safe browsing and email habits are essential to keeping your computer clean.

"I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence."
Old 08-02-2006, 01:00 AM
Jacqueline DiLorenzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin P. Egan
Just for edification (the list is obviously not oriented at computer security), these two programs rarely detect newly released viruses, even when used in conjunction. They work well for adware and spyware, but not so well for viruses. This is of course because they're not designed specifically for viruses. CNS offers the antivirus program F-Prot, it comes pre-installed on the laptops. It works pretty well, it has real time protection, scan on demand, and frequent updates. But it does not detect everything and vigilance is required by the user in order to keep the computer safe. No anti-virus software will allow you to have free roaming all over the internet and allow you to stay protected, safe browsing and email habits are essential to keeping your computer clean.

I use AVG & Ad-Aware... but my computer is still in a state of hopelessness. I get the blue error screen at every startup. :/

Not everything on her list is perfect, but I definitely found it helpful overall.

edit: And I use Stinger when necessary.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:51 AM
Dia O'Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqueline DiLorenzo
Cool, thanks. I'll put that one up, too.

It's funny because so far I've only bought a pair of sheets. :/

if you want my honest opinion, i would wait until you actually get TO school to buy stuff if you're not sure whether you need it or not. sheets, other bedding, TV, fridge, stuff you KNOW you'll need, sure. go for it. but stuff like lighting [which is REALLY space-dependent], school supplies, mirrors, storage, extra seating, and that blender that you'd love to bring but just aren't quite sure of...wait until you know how much space you have. that's the main cause of the freshman fifteen [and in this context i mean the fifteen+ huge items you thought you'd LOVE to have and a week into classes would just LOVE to destroy]. i don't recommend buying supplies at the bookstore unless you really just need a notebook in a pinch because, as with everything, drew = $$$, but staples is a walkable distance [albeit a pretty damn long walk], and there's a target and a bed, bath & beyond on route 10. and if you really just want to ditch the parents as soon as you're all unpacked and not wait to go back out shopping, i'm SURE you can find an upperclassman with a car who'd be willing to drive you around to get stuff *cough cough* :P

ahh, i miss the off-to-college shopping. that was a fun time. i was a bed, bath & beyond GURU.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:16 AM

At this point we are restricting P2P services for bandwidth control reasons. All students sign a Network User Agreement which states you're responsible for complying with all copyright laws. We have had to instruct students to stop sharing materials based on complaints from copyright holders, and usage could leave you subject to disciplinary and legal action.

We're getting our new network connection up and running for the fall semester, and we may reexamine what we can allow. We know there are some legitimate uses of P2P protocols and don't necessarily want to arbitrarily restrict them.

Quote:
since we're on the subject of computers, i heard that the internet at drew blocks limewire - can anyone verify that?

Last edited by Michael R. Richichi : 02-04-2010 at 11:01 AM.