Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > Student Organizations > Muslim Students' Association
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2005, 10:25 PM
Saman Asheer

Exclamation The MSA condemns the London Bombings

As the President of the Drew Muslim Student Association, I'd like to extend my deepest sympathies to those who lost or knew anyone affected by the 4 bombings that occured in London a few days ago.
The MSA condemns these acts of terrorism. As a Muslim, I feel a sense of responsibility to dispel the notion that Islam or Muslims support any sort of terrorism. It is against the teachings of Islam to cause any harm to innocent people. I realize that as the Drew U. MSA we don't have a lot of power to affect the way Muslims or others are reacting to the bombings. However, I think the more every Muslim speaks out against these acts of terrorism, the more people will begin to understand each other and ignorance will decrease.
I know that the exact identities of the bombers are not yet known, but since there is evidence leading to the fact that they were Pakistani and committed the act in the name of Islam, I thought it would be appropriate to open this discussion if anyone has any questions or comments about Islam and terrorism or otherwise. I'm not a scholar, but I can try to answer questions the best I can, or refer you to someone who can answer them better.
I hope that this discussion forum will be constructive in aiding others to understand Islam and each other better.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:45 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

I think it's sad that Muslims feel a need to specifically state that you're against actions of violence such as the bombings in London.

I understand why, but I still think it's sad.

I mean, especially with the word Islam coming from the same root as Salam, meaning peace.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:21 AM
Ranger Cub

it is sad that a person must feel the need to apologize for actions which are not in any way their falt or ideology
Old 07-14-2005, 12:02 PM
Saman Asheer

Maybe I should clarify. I was not in any way apologizing for the attacks. I had nothing to do with them, so why should I? Instead, I was trying to stand up for my faith in saying that Islam has no connection to killing innocent people through acts of terrorism. I wanted to make it clear that it is against Islamic teachings to commit terrorism (as you said Zachary, it comes from the root Salam meaning peace or submission). The reason people link Islam to terrorism is because they don't understand the religion, or because they've heard things stating otherwise. These terrorists are using the name of Islam to kill innocent people, and my post was meant to be a message from the MSA asking those who have questions about terrorism and Islam to raise them. It's the best way to fight ignorance, and then maybe someday there won't be a need to dispel the notion that Islam and terrorism are connected.
Thanks for your comments and keep posting!
Old 07-15-2005, 09:11 AM
Ranger Cub

i did not mean to say that you were apologizeing for the attacks ,but that you even had to say anything at all is wrong. as is mentioned muslims are peaceful and do not advocate terrorism,i was trying to say it is sad that this even happend at all,that this is even a conversation piece, and that it was done in the name of anything the only time the world should face a situation like this is when an industrial accident occures or somthing of that nature. i did not mean to make it seem as if you were in any way connected
Old 07-16-2005, 06:11 AM
William J. Pope

Default Msa

I'm glad the MSA addressed this. I believe it's a good thing that the MSA and other similar organizations are speaking out, especially in America, where they have the freedom to do so. I imagine there must be millions of people in the Middle East who want to speak out against terrorism and extremism, but are afraid of the consequences.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:43 AM
Ranger Cub

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by William J. Pope
I'm glad the MSA addressed this. I believe it's a good thing that the MSA and other similar organizations are speaking out, especially in America, where they have the freedom to do so. I imagine there must be millions of people in the Middle East who want to speak out against terrorism and extremism, but are afraid of the consequences.
And with repression comes creative outlets. if only freedom of expression could be provided world-wide
Old 07-27-2005, 01:47 PM
Ryan J. Crowley

Extremists unjustifiably tarnish the image of religions. I think most people who think logically on the situation will realize that just because the act is done "in the name of" Islam, that it doesn't mean that Islam condones it. Christianity is a good example of this...many horrible acts are performed "in the name of Christ" (Slavery, Inquisition, Crusades, I could go on and on), but most Christians will not condone those acts.

Even so, I give you props for speaking out against such a horrible act.