Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Gripes
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2008, 10:29 PM
Junior Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah G. Davie
friend of mine is a straight A student and a hard worker, and it kills me to know that she is getting the same amount of money from drew that a lacrosse boy who has a C average that did not do even remotely as well as she did on her SATs or in high school in general.
It's against NCAA regulations for Div III schools to give money to athletes simply because they're athletes. They check up on these kinds of things too. You can check with the appropriate offices about this policy.

Could it possibly be that your lacrosse "boy" was actually financially needier than your friend? Or maybe that they weren't so far apart academically in high school?
Old 02-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Neal B. Day

In general, there seems to be some unhappiness around Drew, and the Acorn reports it every week. People can defend Drew all they want, but when it comes down to it, there are too many unhappy students to ignore. Therefore, President Weisbuch (or however you spell his name) needs to seriously look into where change is needed.

New dorms are nice, but are they going to house all of the students who are transfering out of drew? Or are those students going to have a classroom that isn't filled beyond capacity? I've been switched 3 times in finding a classroom because there isn't enough room.

There are many things I like with Drew, but there are just so many easily fixed problems that the administration can't ignore.

For example, off the top of my head, the Front Desk in the UC has a sign that they put up that looks old and disgusting. It's like a 1st grader made it, and newcomers visiting for the first time will see this and say, what a crummy sign, and a crummy welcome.

Defend the sign all you want, but there are enough people who agree with me in some way.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:05 PM
Squirrel

It would be easier to take you seriously on your claim that there are "too many unhappy students to ignore" if your complaints were not largely either incorrect, irrelevent or already being worked on. I'm not really trying to defend Drew here so much as common sense. I'm perfectly aware there are many important things that really do need fixing. It's just that you seem to have missed nearly all of them. Going back to your original post we've got:

1. Awful food - there is little to be done here. They changed food contractors a year ago in an effort to improve things. By some accounts it's slightly better, by some it's worse. There will always be complaints about food, everywhere. I've also heard good things about Drew food from some transfer students.

2. No agreements with local businesses - your error was pointed out already on this one. I don't mean to beat a dead horse, I'm just being thorough

3. Tuition - again, there is little to be done. The university needs money to function, a lot of money, as does any school. Drew is in a somewhat worse situation than many because we have a very small endowment and are in a location where the standard of living is extremely high, meaning we have to pay our employees a lot of money. However, as the Acorn recently reported, the yearly tuition increases are trending down, which is good.

4. UC - It does kind of suck, but they are going to address this by building a new one. There is little point in wasting money on developing the existing building, the whole thing needs to be scrapped.

5. Crappy desks - The useful complaint in the bunch. The furniture issue has been tossed around for a while. Everyone knows we need new furniture in the classrooms, it's just a matter of allocating resources for it. With many many pressing maintainence needs every year and not much money allocated for general upkeep, this issue just keeps getting put off.

6. Tolley Brown - This complaint is understandable, but dated. Tolley Brown is getting a massive face-lift this summer.

7. Clubs - You are disappointed in the selections. What you seem to fail to understand is that the types of clubs we have are a direct result of the culture of this school. But the administration can't do much about this, nor do I believe they should try. Many students who apply here are looking for a certain type of experiance, so you get a lot of students interested in the already existing clubs. No one in the school is stopping other types of clubs from forming, there's just not enough demand.

8. Football - Another culture issue. Many students applied here specifically because there is no football team. There are also a host of practical problems with starting a football team here, but the bottom line is, if you want a football team, there are hundreds of other schools willing to accomodate you. This really hasn't been a big issue here, so I think you're in the minority with this gripe.

9. Classroom capacity - In my 4 years at Drew, my classroom changed only once because the capacity was inadequate. I'm willing to entertain the possibility that this problem has gotten much much worse, but I imagine that is not the case. There are any number of reasons why a class might end up mistakingly being too big for the room its assigned to, but this does happen at other schools. It's hard to avoid every possible administrative goof. And, at worst, this is a minor inconvenience. If this has only happened to you in one or two classes so far, I'd say it's too early to claim this is a real problem, unless you have some kind of inside information.

10. UC Desk Sign - I feel like this is a perfect example of the general problem you are encountering with people responding to you by "defending Drew". You challange others to "defend the sign all you want" but you have completely missed the point. I'm not sure anyone is really interested in defending that sign. It's obviously crappy. It's also obviously not important. It serves a functional purpose and that's it, it's not supposed to look nice. Now, if your complaint is that someone can simply walk away from the desk and leave it entirely unattended for significant periods of time (we all know the time printed on that thing is bs) then I'd consider that a legitimate complaint that needs addressing. But its appearance? Come on. Your post suggests "the administration" and even "President Weisbuck" "can't ignore" these issues. Do you seriously want the president of this school to be screwing around with the sign at the UC desk? Don't you think maybe his time is far far more valuable than that? Have you considered the fact that he is the most highly paid person at Drew and therefore should be spending his time doing the most important things? And still, you could take this sign complaint directly to him at his open hours, if you so desired, and you might even get action on it, 'cause that's the kind of guy he is.

Maybe THAT is Drew's problem. Our president (along with many other employees who already have too much to do) is so responsive to student complaints, he actually ends up getting involved with the problem of no soap in the bathrooms, and has to ask his people why that problem wasn't taken care of earlier. Inevitably, when our President is wasting time with this stuff, there is less time for really important issues, like raising tens of millions of dollars for a new UC and Science Building (you know, for example).

All that being said, Drew does have a problem with signs in general. Mainly, there aren't enough of them throughout campus. Shouldn't there be a big campus map right near the main lot for visitors to look at to get their bearings? Shouldn't there be signposts around with arrows pointing to important buildings? Shouldn't the roads have signs, and shouldn't the traffic pattern make some kind of logical sense (the one-way road behind the forum is a travesty)? When those issues get addressed, I'll be more willing to entertain your gripe with the UC desk sign.

In the meantime, you could always be proactive and propose a plan to replace the UC desk sign with something better. Maybe if you get a few people to agree with you and send e-mails to Student Activities offering to help with a plan, they'll agree it's important and devote a few minutes to it. Maybe you could work with the Art department and get a helping hand on a design. That would be kind of cool. Bottom line: this is YOUR school. Take some action. DO something. PLEASE!
Old 03-02-2008, 10:54 PM
Squirrel

Default my pov

don't waste your time complaining, do something about it. i agree with many other posts, but this is an unofficial forum, and complaining, as mentioned before by someone, is not solving the problem. i think plenty of students are fixing the problem but in their own ways. do it your way, and fix it with your own hands. i don't think complaining to authoritative figures qualifies. start somewhere, if you're passionate about it, go for it. i have to say though, that in my first year at drew, hearing that there are too many unhappy students makes me uneasy about the school.
--and hey i have a right to my opinion as does everyone else.
--and look at the views on this thread. crazy.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Jennifer A. Dugan

As with any University, Drew is what you choose to make of it. It can be a delightful experience if you decide to make it so.

When something needs to be addressed, be proactive rather than simply voice a complaint.

If you want things to change and are having trouble doing it - remember that you have to have the determination, drive, and creativity to get things done efficiently.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Young Squirrel

Football is a great american pastime but it does not fit into the Drew University that I applied for. Why don't you get your friends and go root for the sports teams that we already have...like swimming :-D The rugby team will have a field on campus this year so support them too. Get your friends and start a trend. DO IT!
Old 07-18-2008, 09:31 PM
Young Squirrel

or any sports team. it's your choice I mean we do have quite a few to choose from that play on campus.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:31 PM
Victoria A. Webbe

I completely agree with Sofia. I know it's kind of an old suggestion, but a football team at Drew just to generate school spirit would be ridiculous. I've always been a big advocate for organized tailgating. Give away free stuff, let us drink outside in the parking lot and we'll come to your games.

Otherwise, stop complaining at start supporting the teams we've got--rugby would be a wonderful place to start.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:06 PM
Benjamin K. Tokarski

I don't like football, I like tennis. So.. I'm happy about that!
I might be on the tennis team. Not too sure, what if I'm not good enough?
Regardless, I'll continue to play as well as cheer on our team.

Also something about the food.. The food at Drew University tasted better than the food at other universities I've been too. The food at my community college was overdone, or really underdone. Sometimes they would serve you food thats expired.. I also tasted the food at Albany University. They're one of those larger schools with the fast food resteraunts. However, the burger did not taste like a burnger, it had an odd odd taste of mint-vanilla to it which SHOULD NOT EXIST! Ontop of that, the coke I ordered with the burger did not taste like coke, it tasted more like sanatizer or something. Also, later that night, and the next day, I had a major case of the runs.

I've only been to Drew University twice, and I've gone to the food court both times.. Its pretty good as far as I can tell! The chicken taste as it should, the meat tasted like meat, nothing was horribly overdone, the snozeberries taste like snozeberries!

So yes, this is another case of a transfer student telling you, it's not that bad.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:08 AM
Neal B. Day

It's been a while, so I'd like to add a few things.

1. I gotta admit, getting Eve 6 to play at Drew is pretty sweet.
2. I've been to drew a few times this summer, and it looks like they finally have done some simple paint jobs and such that make the school look muuuch better.
3. Apparently Tolley-Brown is muuuch nicer, and all I can say is, it's about time.
4. Where are all of the advisors going? I've been at Drew a year and a half, and twice, i've had to change advisor's because they left. I'm not against people leaving, but it gets annoying.

There! 3/4 were good things about Drew!