Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Gripes
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2005, 02:18 PM
Justin M. Giza

Not a problem! "Sick" happens sometimes. Hope you're feeling better.

Yes, I did reset Pingplotter for each location.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:57 PM
Thomas G. DiLemmo

Guild Wars still is laggy laggy and lagged out. How are things progressing?

I wish I could help as I know tech but alas I cannot. I know the software was updated but is there maybe an error in the allocation as suggested?

If the facilities are receiving better pings then I would think there would be a bandwidth issue with the residental. It makes sense as residents are the primary source of bandwidth abuse. A packet sniff of room ports would probably turn up some significant abuse.

It is just a thought. Since I don't have the software or output in front of me I can only give a vague non-detailed response.

I just hope we can rectify this by the Spring. This semester is closing down which is fine, by a whole other quarter of lagged out internet sounds like an aweful proposition.

Again we are looking at low bandwidth solutions. If you give even a 10kb/sec stream to output ports (Guild War, WoW) that would rectify the issue. The best example is from my Guild Wars update patch. It will start at 15kb/sec or so, drop down and down and then sometimes even ping out needing reconnect! That is the perfect synposis of this issue.

The bandwidth allocation maybe not faulty however the consistant streaming seems erronous. This is a 56k able program where the pings cannot stay consistant enough to warrant success in running the program.

Hopefully the focus of fixing the consistancy of the bandwidth to the residental areas works out. Good luck.

FYI some people get a good chunk of their daily enjoyment out of Guild Wars/WoW. It isn't everybody but it would be nice not to deprive these people of this entertainment. I came from Stevens college hence my stress levels are down significantly, but for someone to be deprived of their hobby in a stressful college environment could be troublesome. Again it seems way out there in theory however I believe it is indeed sound in truth.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:40 PM
Matthew H. Long

if the game means that much to you as a stress reliever, why not go to the other facilities such as the library and play there? We certainly arent alone - I bumped into a freshman playing WoW last week in the library. There are plenty of private places to go, but it certainly isnt as cozy as your own room.

That is, of course, you have a laptop.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:35 PM
Squirrel

Hi,
We've made some changes today, so could you please casually try a few of the programs and protocols that you've been having trouble with? Specifically the ones that have worked better in academic areas than in dorms. Thanks-
Old 11-21-2005, 07:49 PM
Noah C. Rosenfield

yea, i have to say, it would be really great if we could get everything working nicely in the dorms because carrying an xbox and television to the library isn't really an option for me.

it is just so impossibly frustrating when all i want to is just chill out and play some Halo 2. but i can't even do that for fun because all it does is frustrate me further.

so, yea, um, fixed would be nice.

can someone give any solid explanation of where the problem lies or what it is?

from everything i've read the huge amount of packet loss is the problem correct? so can't you isolate which router it's going through and check out what is wrong with it?

Last edited by Noah C. Rosenfield : 11-21-2005 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:27 PM
Justin M. Giza

Well, I started off in WoW at a healthy 52ms. This jumped to 354ms. Then 1700ms. Then 4200ms. Then 6363ms.

But I didn't get booted from the server! Hoo-ray!

In addition, PingPlotter read much less packet loss. If you'd like me to post the new charts, I will.

I'll give it another shot late-night, when there's ideally less usage.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:57 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. DiLemmo
Again we are looking at low bandwidth solutions. If you give even a 10kb/sec stream to output ports (Guild War, WoW) that would rectify the issue.

Where, exactly, are you pulling this magic bandwith from? As shown above, we're at the limit of our bandwith. There's no more to parcel out.

Quote:
The bandwidth allocation maybe not faulty however the consistant streaming seems erronous. This is a 56k able program where the pings cannot stay consistant enough to warrant success in running the program.

Consider this. Drew gets a 20 Mbps connection from the outside world. Let's figure on there only being 500 people connected at once, using the internet in the same amounts. 20 Mbps/500 people = 40 kbps. That's for everything. Now, consider that Drew has a lot more than 500 people living on campus, and they're sharing files and using AIM and browsing. Not all of them are on at the same time, but still: that's not a lot of bandwith per person.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:38 AM
Justin M. Giza

It's 11:37pm, and the weather's fine.

55-100ms, which is what I used to average before things went crazy. Whatever you did, thanks a bundle!
Old 11-22-2005, 01:10 AM
Junior Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin M. Giza

55-100ms, which is what I used to average before things went crazy. Whatever you did, thanks a bundle!

Whoa, don't get too excited yet. It's Monday before Thanksgiving, and judging from the parking lot and snack bar, students starting heading out last Friday. I'll bet at least part of the improvement is from a decrease in the number of users. (Check out your hallway to see how many people have left already.)

You'll have to wait until next week to see if anything has actually improved.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:05 AM
Zachary C. Kanfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin M. Giza

Isn't it raining? It certainly was at 11:10.