Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Technology Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2007, 06:48 PM

Default How to get an Apple iPhone working with your Drew GroupWise account

Here's how to get basic email working with an iPhone on Drew's GroupWise system.. Right now, there isn't full "BlackBerry style" push email and calendar available with the iPhone since Apple hasn't opened up the iPhone to third-party developers yet. Apple is releasing a developer's kit this spring, so we'll be hoping for a more full-featured solution for GroupWise shortly thereafter... If you need "push" email and calendar/contact syncing with GroupWise today, have a look at our other mobility options...

In the meantime, here's how to get basic Drew email working on your iPhone with IMAP..

Note: While I was able to get this to work using these steps, the University does not officially support the iPhone. Please do share your experience getting this to work by replying to this post...
  1. On the home screen, go to Settings, then select Mail. (It is important that you do this from the Settings screen, and not from the add new account menu that pops up the first time you go into Mail).
  2. Select Add Account > Other.
  3. Fill out your name and email address. Also add a description for the account (for example "Drew GroupWise"). Make sure IMAP is selected at the top of the screen.
  4. Under Incoming Mail Server, enter gwimap.drew.edu for the Host Name. Enter your uLogin ID and Password into the User Name and Password fields respectively.
  5. Under Outgoing Mail Server, enter gwsmtp.drew.edu for the Host Name. Again enter your uLogin ID and Password for the User Name and Password fields.
  6. All of that is reasonably standard and follows the IMAP setup instructions we have on our web site. Touch Save and then this is where things get a little interesting...
  7. You will get a pop up complaining about certificates because the iPhone does not recognize Drew's certs. At this point, touch Cancel (do not touch Continue or things will just hang forever...). After touching Cancel, touch Save again.
  8. The iPhone will complain that it hasn't been able to verify your account information and ask if you want to save anyway. That's fine, touch Save.
  9. You will now be back at the Mail Settings screen. You will see the account you just added and "Add Account..." right below it in the menu. Select the account you just added.
  10. Scroll down to the bottom of the form and touch Advanced.
  11. Under Incoming Settings, verify that the following are correct. They should already be set as follows: Use SSL: ON; Authentication: Password; IMAP Path Prefix: /; Server Port: 993.
  12. Under Outgoing Settings, verify that the following are correct. These should already be set as follows: Use SSL: ON; Authentication: Password.
  13. Change Server Port under Outgoing Settings to 2525. This step is essential or you will not be able to send outgoing mail.
  14. At this point, you may exit the Settings menu and go back to the Home screen.
  15. When starting Mail, you may get another prompt complaining about certificates. This time, touch Continue. At that point, if you touch the refresh icon in the lower-left corner of the screen, the contents of your GroupWise inbox should appear. If you touch Mailboxes in the upper-left corner of the screen, you should see a list of all of your GroupWise folders.
  16. Enjoy your Drew email on your iPhone!
Once you have the basics working, you might want to alter the default folders that your iPhone uses for Sent and Deleted Items, as it does not use the same folder names that GroupWise uses by default.

To do this:
  1. From the home screen, go to Settings and then select Mail.
  2. Select your Drew GroupWise account.
  3. Scroll to the bottom of the form, and click Advanced.
  4. Under Mailbox Behaviors, you can select if your Drafts, Sent Items, and Deleted Items are stored only on the iPhone or in a GroupWise folder. To have your Sent Items and Deleted Items be stored in the appropriate GW folder, select Sent Mailbox and Deleted Mailbox and then choose your GroupWise Sent Items and Trash folders respectively.

Last edited by E. Axel Larsson : 12-21-2007 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:12 PM
Young Squirrel

Seems like the device is hanging on "Verifying IMAP information..." What firmware is the test device? I'm way back on 1.0.2. I have set up Gmail IMAP, however.

EDIT: it went through eventually, giving me the prompt of "Would you like to try setting this up without SSL?" I said yes.

Last edited by Frank J. Manna : 12-21-2007 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank J. Manna
Seems like the device is hanging on "Verifying IMAP information..." What firmware is the test device? I'm way back on 1.0.2. I have set up Gmail IMAP, however.

EDIT: it went through eventually, giving me the prompt of "Would you like to try setting this up without SSL?" I said yes.
Test device was running version 1.1.2.

Did you hit Cancel when it orignally complained about the certificates instead of Continue?

The "Would you like to try setting this up without SSL?" must be a lie if it eventually started working.. We don't have the non-SSL IMAP port available through the firewall from off-campus. If you go into the Advanced properties for the account, it should should still say port 993, SSL ON. Weird that it would say it is going to a non-SSL connection...

Last edited by E. Axel Larsson : 12-21-2007 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:08 PM
Junior Drewid

What other calendaring systems can one currently synch with GroupWise?

I've started using Plaxo to keep my several computers up to date with each other.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John D. Muccigrosso
What other calendaring systems can one currently synch with GroupWise?

I've started using Plaxo to keep my several computers up to date with each other.
For PDAs, we have the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, and the GroupWise Mobile Server. The latter is based on Intellisync Mobile Suite, so any platform supported by that (Windows Mobile, Palm, Symbian) will work.

You can import/export your calendar as an iCal file from the client (currently, only the Windows client though).

GroupWise 8 (due out in the Spring) is going to support publish/subscribe for iCal. You'll be able to expose your calendar as an iCal URL which any app that can subscribe to iCal can support. You'll also be able to subscribe to other iCal sources from within the client.

In the current incarnation, iCal is supported in terms of attachments to mail messages (i.e. when sending appointments between different mail systems-- for instance if you send a GroupWise appointment to a Google Calendar user, they can work with it and vice-versa), but publish/subscribe for a full-calendar with iCal URLs is not available until version 8.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:20 PM
Young Squirrel

Default iPhone 2.0 & Groupwise

Will the new iPhone software work with Groupwise mobile?
Old 07-14-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Arnold
Will the new iPhone software work with Groupwise mobile?
It's still email only for now.

NotifyLink is supposed to have a solution for the iPhone in August. While Drew is not planning to buy NotifyLink and run our own NotifyLink server on campus (since we already have a BlackBerry Enterprise Server for official Drew business and the GroupWise Mobile Server is free for the other devices), those who are interested in the functionality on the iPhone can sign up for NotifyLink's hosted service.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Young Squirrel

Default new iphone

seems to have worked well Axel. The only thing is in your instructions there was an outgoing mail thing after you set it up but I did not have an option to change the outgoing port jam thingie. Seems like I can still send mail though so we shall see.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Young Squirrel

so sending mail did not work. and I don't have the changing port option thingie on my phone. Help me Axel your my only hope. Other than Dirty Frank.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel C. Bailey-Yavonditte
so sending mail did not work. and I don't have the changing port option thingie on my phone. Help me Axel your my only hope. Other than Dirty Frank.
Dan, You back @ Drew?

When you click Advanced, what options do you have under Outgoing Settings? What version of the iPhone software is it? (I'm still on 1.1.4, haven't moved to the 2.0 software yet, so I haven't tried it yet..)