Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2005, 01:10 PM
Mark A. Tauriello

Default Film for a major

While reading the Drew TV thread, I saw that I was not the only one that had an interest in a film program, or more importantly a film major. I know that there are a great deal of students who are interested in film, as well as film making. I really like this college alot, and I really want Drew to get film for a major. I would hate to take film classes else where because it would not be at Drew. I am only a freshman, but I will work as hard as I can for this. Even if we do not get the program, I still want to write the major because I am passionate about this. If you are interested in having a film, film making program as well as a major please let me know and respond to the thread. If you are a teacher who would like to help, or someone who knows how to help, please contact me at Mataurie@drew.edu or please respond to my thread. Thank you.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:29 AM
Squirrel

A good first start would be a filmmaking club, I think. Another school I attended had both a filmmaking club and a film major. A filmmaking club might be a good way to start. Check the ECAB website for information on how to start a club. Luckily you are a freshman, as it does seem to take a while for a club to become an established presence on campus.

Once you have formed a club there are several things that could be done, depending on the interest of the members; guest speakers and technical demonstrations, a drew-made film festival, a collaborative film project, fundraisers to get club-owned equipment, there are many things that would be of interest to people interested in film. Working with other groups on campus could be a great way to both increase visibility and stretch funds. Interested in hearing a feminist filmmaker speak? Work with Women's Concerns to get someone here to talk. Want to shoot a documentary about medieval reenactment? That Medieval thing might want to help.

One class that might be of interest is ART 36, digital multimedia, I know they've been doing quite a bit with digital video.

The filmmaking club that I was familiar with made one major production a year. Many, but not all of the people involved were film majors, so they did have the benefit of formal training. The quality of their yearly project was at or better than that of the senior project film.

Another purpose of a club would be to bring together like minded people who could look into how to form a major.

Good luck to you!
Old 10-24-2005, 03:34 PM
Ranger Cub

Default Film major

Good suggestions. Have you thought about going to one of President Weisbuch's open hours and pitch the idea of a film major to him???
Old 10-30-2005, 03:31 PM
Richard C. Villa

Default I want a film major at Drew also

I am in a similar situation as you. I really want Drew University to have a film major. It is very true that a lot of Drew students want to take film for a major. I know it is effecting my decision to stay here as well as other people. I find it funny how in my high school we had all this modern technological equipment for video making, film making, editing, etc. and this university doesn't. Although I really like Drew University, I too agree that they should add film making to their majors. If Drew University had a film making program I would join it a heart beat. I hear that students from drew university who want to major in education, take teaching classes at FDU for their major. I am pretty sure the FDU has a film program. Maybe Drew University can allow us Drew Students who want to take Film making for a major to take the film making classes at FDU. I hope that you are able to persuade Drew University to get a film making program here.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:43 PM
Anastasia T. Merken

I am also a freshman and would LOVE to have film as a major. I was very excited to come to Drew, but now that I am starting to think about the future and what I would like to do, I have realized film making is something I would like to pursue. I would really like to attend Drew for as long as I can, and having a film making major at Drew would increase my chances of staying at Drew. I love Drew and can not see myself at any other college, but i feel it is important to my future to take film making. It's ironic that movies are being filmed on campus but the school does not offer a film making program.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:11 PM
Megan K. Liber

I am currently considering theatre as a major, but film is another aspect that I am really interested in. I would love to have it as a minor, or even do a double major in theatre and film. I think it's a great idea because many students are already interested in film, and I think it would draw a much more diverse crowd to the school.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:25 PM
Affan U. Khokhar

Default Great Idea

I'd love to join your film club and assist in constructing a film major at Drew. It sounds like a wonderful idea and it certainly should be offered here anyways due to the strong theater arts department and other liberal arts majors. Film would fit perfectly with the mix of our present majors.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:27 PM
Miranda E. Leiggi

I think film as a major would be a good idea. I think a lot of people would be interested in film, and lot more prospectives would look at Drew if it had film. The film majors could also collaborate with the theater majors on joint projects.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:52 PM
Zachary E. Kanner

Default film courses

I have been extrmely interested in filmmaking and film study, and am disppointed that Drew lacks a film program. I would love to take courses, and I know many who would agree.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:57 PM
Katharine A. Dolin

Default Film Classes

I love film. At Drew I have over 120 movies, I'm like the free Blockbuster of my floor. I knew coming to college that I really wanted to take a film class. I wanted to take at least one "fun" class each year, and I have enough AP credits to do so. However, when I read the coursebook, I found only one film class! I was so disappointed. I am taking History of Film, and it's great, but now I've exhausted all of my options. I would appreciate some more classes on diverse film history, modern film, filmmaking, etc. I agree with you Mark, I think Drew should adapt to the interests of its students-and its students are definitely interested in film!