Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Announcements & General Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2005, 05:14 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

He's third billed as Stuart 'Stu' Dunmeyer on the imdb page.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:51 PM
Drewid

Default Supreme court nominee

For anyone interested, on monday, President Bush nominated Harriet Miers to replace Sandra on the Supreme Court.

"I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence."
Old 10-03-2005, 01:02 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

ha. "a pit bull in size 6 shoes."
Old 10-03-2005, 03:49 PM
Nathan D. Band

"Miers has no prior judicial service and has never argued a case before the Supreme Court."

Does this worry anyone?
Old 10-03-2005, 04:32 PM
Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan D. Band
"Miers has no prior judicial service and has never argued a case before the Supreme Court."

Does this worry anyone?

So there is no history of judgements from which someone can get an idea of the nominees' views on various subjects. Republicans have gotten very good at having their supreme court nominees answer questions without actually giving a definitive idea on where the nominee stands on certain issues. This has been seen with the recent apointment of John Roberts. Though I imagine since Justice O'Connor has agreed to remain on the court until the replacement is confirmed, this hearing process wont be as rushed as it was for Justice Roberts.

"I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence."
Old 10-03-2005, 06:19 PM

Well, in all fairness, a lot of supreme court justices weren't judges first. Chief Justice Earl Warren, for one. William Douglas, Thurgood Marshall. Louis Brandeis. William Renquist hadn't, when he was named to the court as an Associate Justice. It's pretty common. My fear is that Bush and his people seem to be willing to pick some real winners. "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job". There are some other nominees recently that have resumes that don't really match the job they're up for. Ms. Miers seems to be a competant and professional lawyer with a significant resume, at least. I'd be happier if she had more government experience. But let's face it - the biggest win for you is for Bush to know you personally, so he can "know your heart" as he so often puts it. Putting blind faith in those in your inner circle, and not trusting honorable people who aren't buddies with you is a great way for an administration to wind up with a huge amount of corruption and nepotism.