Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Technology Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2005, 12:57 AM
Emma R. Nostrand

Default I need help from someone who isn't a computer moron...

Because I am. Ok. So. I have all these songs on one pc that i need to get to another one, and I really don't know how to do it short of burning all the music from one computer onto CD's and then importing it onto the other. I was in the midst of doing that when I realized how stupid it was, and that I could probably find another way to do it. But all my friends are equally as computer retarded, so I'm asking here. HELP!
Old 07-28-2005, 01:36 AM
Amanda L. Brennan

I have wireless internet in my house, so when I need to do that I sign on aim from both computers and transfer the files like that. Maybe that'll work for you?
Old 07-28-2005, 02:35 AM
Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma R. Nostrand
Because I am. Ok. So. I have all these songs on one pc that i need to get to another one, and I really don't know how to do it short of burning all the music from one computer onto CD's and then importing it onto the other. I was in the midst of doing that when I realized how stupid it was, and that I could probably find another way to do it. But all my friends are equally as computer retarded, so I'm asking here. HELP!
If your computers have a home network you could easily transfer the files through the router, burning cd's in data mode (you get more music on a cd, it cant be played on a cd player but when put in a different comp, it reads the music as files, you get 700mb this way), put em all on an ipod and then transfer then to the new computer (described here https://community.drew.edu/showthread.php?t=133&page=2).

There are various methods, it just depends on if you wanna spend money and how much work you put into it.
The mods might have a better way of doing it too

"I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence."
Old 07-28-2005, 09:43 AM

Another way to do it might be get a USB key/thumbdrive and use that to transfer the files, assuming both computers have USB ports. The 512MB drives are getting pretty cheap, and the 1024MB (1 gigabyte) drives aren't too pricey either. And it's a convenient way to back up and carry your data in the future, so it's not like it's a waste.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:10 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

I'd say the easiest way would probably be AIM. although, I think you'd need to have two screenames, though.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:12 PM
Emma R. Nostrand

I'm sorry guys... I really meant it when I said I was computer moron. I don't know what a USB port is, or a data thingymawhatever. The only thing I understood was the AIM idea, but I dont have wireless internet in my house. Pretend you're explaining this to a 5 year old.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:22 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

you wouldn't need wireless internet, specifically.

can you hook both computers up to the internet at once? that would let you send them through AIM.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:02 PM
Amanda L. Brennan

Yeah, can you have two computers in your house online at once? That's all you'll need to do.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:20 AM
Elder Drewid

You don't need two screen names -- you just need a newerish version of AIM.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:39 AM
Emma R. Nostrand

Default Thanks Anyway!

I have a cable connection for my internet, and as far as I can tell, I can't connect another computer to the internet without disabling the other.

If there's no specific easy way to do it, that's fine. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being a complete jerk and burning songs to CDs when there was an easier way to do it.