Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > Student Organizations > WMNJ
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2005, 12:53 PM
Justin M. Giza

Default Shoutcast Feed?

Went to post this in the other thread, decided it might be better served in its own little place.

In the event that WMNJ gets back up and running, anyone know the likelihood that we could get a Shoutcast feed or something for the internet? WMNJ would have a lot more listeners, considering so very few people actually just tune into the radio in their dorm room these days.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:38 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

this would also allow alumni that don't live in the immediate area to listen.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:33 PM

Default umm....

In theory it's a good idea. WMNJ has to be very careful that they're in compliance with all FCC and other regulations and copyright law before they stream. There are different provisions for non-profit organizations, but still, spend some time getting it right or you could potentially put a lot of people in a very bad situation.

Also, you'll have to work closely with CNS to make sure that there won't be bandwidth, security, or other concerns. You may want to seek a site that will rebroadcast your stream--that means just one copy of the data out of Drew and will probably be more reliable. It will cost money.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:05 AM
Amanda L. Brennan

I remember Mr. Tauriello saying something about broadcasting online, but it was back in the winter so I don't remember what exactly he said.

Maybe we could even look into Podcasting. I don't really know too much about it, but if a Catholic church can podcast sermons, I'm sure it's not that hard.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:36 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

of course, like Mike said, there's other concerns than the simple "do they know how to do it?" Because they're not just talking and sending that, they're playing copywrited songs, and they're also a radio station, so who knows what kind of permits they need to dual-broadcast, or what.