Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Gripes
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2005, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary C. Kanfer
Well, if I had linked the proxy server instructions page in addition to making new screenshots (because firefox does it slightly differently than Mozilla), you could have read that /default.pac turns the proxy on only when you're off-campus, and only for certain sites. It won't do anything if you're on-campus.

Yesterday, I turned the proxy on for my firefox (no default.pac, so it's doing something now) and it seems to be faster. I haven't really done any testing, but it seems to be nice. And, the more people that turn it on for on campus, the faster everything goes for everyone. Which is very nice. So, at this point, it seems as though turning setting it to proxy.drew.edu is the way to go to make it faster, both for you and others.
This isn't correct. partial.pac is the on-campus only one. defaultp.ac points to full.pac.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:00 AM
Zachary C. Kanfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Axel Larsson
This isn't correct. partial.pac is the on-campus only one. defaultp.ac points to full.pac.

Really? The proxy server page says

Quote:
Originally Posted by the proxy server page
If you use the URL http://proxy.drew.edu/partial.pac, the proxy will be turned off for on-campus, and work off-campus as described above.

So maybe that needs to be updated, or I'm just confused.

Last edited by Zachary C. Kanfer : 11-10-2005 at 02:03 AM.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:51 AM
Junior Drewid

Default Spyware and Adware do eat your computer's brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richichi
I have at least anecdotal evidence that spyware-infected computers (and if you're doing filesharing, you probably have spyware, sorry) would actually feel slower than ones without spyware. This is probably because when you do normal things like surf a Web page, your computer is making other connections to other servers as well, and those are slowing the whole thing down. So cleaning up the spyware should help a lot.

I've got more than anecdotal evidence for that. I worked at the helpdesk at the school I came from, which had a really big pipe to the Internet, and a BIG slice of our work was helping track down spyware on people's computers. Lots of AIM interrupts and e-x-t--r--e--m--e slowness on the computer were almost entirely reliable signs that spyware and adware was eating up the bandwidth coming into the computer.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:48 PM
Justin M. Giza

Spyware slows down computers, sure.

However, I take pristine care of my computer. Regular virus and spyware scans (using Ad-Aware SE Plus... none of that other creepy seedy software that's lying out there). Though general HTTP processes, FTP transfers, and AIM (despite the sporadic disconnects) run fine, I've still been experiencing huge slowdowns in game-related activities. Unless I'm in a classroom using a direct connection. Which is bizarre, since, as we were shown in the graphs above, everything is given equal priority.

I have no explanation for that, but is it possible that spyware left on other people's computers that are still connected to the network could be aiding this slowdown? If dozens and dozens of computers are all making these connections to these third-parties, any clue how much bandwidth that'd eat up? Obviously that's a pretty broad question, as spyware comes in all shapes and sizes. I dunno. I'm just rambling at this point. Someone get the shovel and stop me.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary C. Kanfer
Really? The proxy server page says

So maybe that needs to be updated, or I'm just confused.
The proxy page is correct. partial.pac is the one that only proxies when off-campus. Sorry I mispoke.

The breakdown is:
http://proxy.drew.edu/full.pac or just http://proxy.drew.edu/ - proxy on-campus for performance, off-campus we just proxy the library sites.
http://proxy.drew.edu/partial.pac - Proxy off-campus sites only. Off when on campus.
http://proxy.drew.edu/default.pac - Points to full.pac, but might be changed to point to partial.pac in an extreme circumstance.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:53 PM
Justin M. Giza

Thought I might post some interesting information I tested tuesday night.

I decided to test out the connection on World of Warcraft, primarily because it gives an active readout of your latency while playing the game. I decided to test it out in a few places, just as an experiment. A good connection ranges from 0-400ms. Beyond that, things get pretty laggy. So here are my findings:

WoW, My Room:
11:17pm - 4202ms
11:18pm - 4707ms
11:19pm - 8747ms
11:20pm - 7394ms
11:21pm - Disconnected from server. No other players I know out of the game experienced problems.
11:22pm - Logging in.
11:23pm - World loading.
11:24pm - Lag refused to load objects. No ping test. Disconnected.

Left for arts center. After a rehearsal...

Arts Center Seminar Room

12:25am - 57ms
12:26am - 199ms
12:27am - 246ms
12:28am - 310ms to 260ms to 225ms
12:29am - 225ms to 228ms
12:30am - 228ms solid
12:31am - 213ms
12:32am - 213ms to 208ms

Left for my room.

My room:
12:45am - Refused to connect.
12:46am - Game booted, lag refused to load objects. Disconnected.
12:47am - I give up, and go play Kingdom of Loathing.

-------------

Upon testing in the same building, but in the Arts Center's green room (not designated a classroom, less than one minute later) the lag jumped up to 8000ms. Tested again in the classroom, lag-free.

Would these be hardware problems with the jacks? Just wondering if anyone might have an explanation. It was literally less than a minute switching between rooms, and each time I got a perfect connection in the classroom, and a horrid connection from any other jack.

I have also recently been told that another WoW player on campus has been receiving a perfect connection from the library as well.

With it already being said that there is no prioritization going on... what's happening here? Since I wrote this data, I've tested this a couple other times, and have never had any connection problems within one of these classrooms. It's hard to say that people just "aren't using the internet for a solid hour, then are for the five minutes you were in the other room, then weren't again when you moved back to the classroom."

------------

I should note that I just copy/pasted that information from a notepad file as I was doing it. I checked the connection in the arts center's green room right after 12:32am, before I left for my room. I didn't bother to write those times in, but I tested for around 3-4 minutes.

So... yeah. Anyone care to tackle this one? 'Cause I'm not sure what's happening anymore.

EDIT: I should also note that I have tested this on several other jacks within my living complex with no success.

Last edited by Justin M. Giza : 11-11-2005 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:15 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
12:47am - I give up, and go play Kingdom of Loathing.

I notice that that's when the (KoL) servers start to recover from everyone being on at the same time, and becomes fast again.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:21 PM
Justin M. Giza

Which is good and well, Zach. But three weeks ago in the middle of the day I would average 400ms. Now at FIVE IN THE MORNING, on WoW, I average 1700ms, then get kicked off.

As for Kingdom of Loathing, it's slow most of the day anyhow. The lag from that game isn't due to on-campus lag, it's because Kingdom of Loathing has far too much traffic and not enough bandwidth. Jick is setting up new servers, which'll (hopefully) be up in a month or two.

But... that's another situation for another time. I'm more concerned about the non-http connection trouble that's happening in this case.

Last edited by Justin M. Giza : 11-11-2005 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:34 PM
Thomas G. DiLemmo

I was wondering if I could get some help from the network people on this thread. I am one of the good guys here looking to setup the proxy on outside apps besides browsers etc...

My first target is azurues (bittorrent) for my normal WoW updates, game patches, and fansubs.

Attached is the setup interface.

If anyone has any insight on where the proxy info should go that would be great.

Thanks

My next targets are:
Guild Wars
PCAnywhere
MIRC

With these posts maybe this can be a resource for people looking for proxy help. Just a thought.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg connection_settings.jpg (95.8 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Thomas G. DiLemmo : 11-11-2005 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:03 PM
Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin M. Giza
Upon testing in the same building, but in the Arts Center's green room (not designated a classroom, less than one minute later) the lag jumped up to 8000ms. Tested again in the classroom, lag-free.

Would these be hardware problems with the jacks? Just wondering if anyone might have an explanation. It was literally less than a minute switching between rooms, and each time I got a perfect connection in the classroom, and a horrid connection from any other jack.

Can you try it again in the Arts building green room when you have the opportunity? I'm not sure offhand how many network jacks are in there, but try another one if you can. I could see if there were maybe something about the student network having more of a lag, because it runs through a separate router than the rest of campus. On the other hand, none of the ports in the Arts building go through the student router, and they should be all working the same way.

If you can bring your laptop with World of Warcraft down to my office this week (give me a call first), we can try putting you into a classroom port and then into a student port to see if there's any noticeable difference. Even though it would be in BC, the packets would still have to travel the same path as they would from your dorm.