Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Technology Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2008, 04:06 PM
Sarah E. Kamins

Default graduation senior question

Hi,

I was curious... does CNS stop servicing the senior's computers after graduation or is there a limited time after graduation that we can bring it back to Drew?

Also, what do we do about our email account? I already joined gmail, but will I lose all my saved emails?

Thanks,
Sarah
Old 05-16-2008, 07:54 PM

The warranty on the laptops is good through August. We'll be happy to do warranty repairs until then. After that, it gets a little more limited. We'll do our best to help with any software issues you might be having, and we'd certainly be able to help you get repairs, but you'd have to pay for any costs.

As for email, we usually close out email accounts sometime over the summer. If you haven't backed up or forwarded your saved emails before then, you would lose them. If you use the GroupWise client in Caching mode, you have a local copy of all your messages there, which you could still access with your uLogin password, even if your network account is deleted (although you will get some errors about it.) You can also select messages (or entire folders of messages) and do a "Save As" to export them.

There's probably a few other ways to do this (for instance, enable IMAP for your Gmail account, add the IMAP account in GroupWise, and drag and drop messages) so if anyone else has any ideas, I'm all ears.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:04 PM
Casey R. Talbot

On the subject of email:
I've already forwarded my saved messages from Groupwise, but is there any way to set up Groupwise to automatically forward a copy of future emails to my gmail account? Is that what IMAP will do?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-21-2008, 02:33 PM

Instructions for forwarding Drew email can be found http://www.drew.edu/depts/its.aspx?id=2402 . If you need assistance, the helpdesk is open M-F, 9-5 and can be reached at x3205.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:37 AM
Sarah E. Kamins

Thanks for the info. I'm not still completely sure if I should cache all my current email AND set it up to foward to my new gmail account or not...

At graduation they mentioned getting an alumni e-mail address. Would old mail transfer over to that address, and how do we get that address?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sarah
Old 07-30-2008, 03:54 PM

You will continue to have access to your Drew email through the end of November. After that time, messages addressed to your existing Drew email address will bounce (ie. not deliver to your Drew email address).

You can request an alumni Gateway@Drew email address at http://www.drew.edu/depts/alumni.aspx?id=11949.
This is a different address from your existing Drew address and is not an email account, but is a forwarding address. You will need to provide another address (like your gmail.com address) that messages sent to your alumni address will forward to.

Your old Drew email will not be transfered though this address. If you set up GroupWise in caching mode (as Mike Richichi previously mentioned), you can continue to access old Drew email once your ulogin account is deleted.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:26 AM
Sarah E. Kamins

Ok, I've cached my mail and "archived" it. I think. Do I need to keep it in cache mode all the time? or just once in a while?

Why then, when I open the new folder on my desktop labled "Archived Mail" does it all appear to be gibberish? All the items within "cannot be opened by windows".

Also, I tried to make a backup of groupwise by clicking "Backup Mailbox" under the TOOLS menu, and the same thing happened. A folder full of nonsense. Not my mail. Is there any way to make a copy of old emails quickly, painlessly and without copying and pasting every old email?

This is getting kind of frustrating. And what is an IMAP and how do I make that happen? I tried to look at the website and was even more confused.

Thanks for any help in advance and sorry for all the questions... maybe having a computer session for graduating seniors would help future classes?
Old 08-08-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah E. Kamins
This is getting kind of frustrating. And what is an IMAP and how do I make that happen? I tried to look at the website and was even more confused.

Thanks for any help in advance and sorry for all the questions... maybe having a computer session for graduating seniors would help future classes?

Well, it's a Groupwise Archive. You need to read it from the Groupwise client. Personally, it's not how I'd recommend keeping things post-Drew. However, if you want to do it a different way, you'd now need to un-archive the messages (put them back on the GroupWise server) before you can access them via a different mail program.

I'd use an IMAP-based mail client for this, which you also mentioned. IMAP is a protocol, not a program. You can go to http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/ and download Thunderbird. Create an entry for your Drew email account - it's not hard, and once the program is installed, the information we give you on how to configure IMAP makes a lot more sense. We used to have to do this routinely before we had GroupWise. You can then create local mail folders and copy Drew mail into it (it doesn't remove it from the server if you just do a copy). You can read it using Thunderbird, and a lot of programs can read the mail file format - it's a pretty standard one, and it's just text files. I've been able to pull local mail files at home through different generations of mail programs for years.

Since your new local mail folders don't have to conform to the folder structure on the email server, if you want to organize them by year, academic year, semester, whatever, it's easy to do if you select groups of messages based on the message dates.