Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students > Current CLA students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2006, 01:19 PM
Aaron Ray

I'm taking Chinese..I want to go to graduate school in China..so, I think that's the most beneficial.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:21 PM
Raven Brockriede

Default I don't really want to take a language....

i don't really want to continue the languages....but i suppose, since i have to, i'll probably continue spanish, or start off new with french....I obviously did not register yet
Old 06-30-2006, 08:35 PM
Ranger Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Brockriede
i don't really want to continue the languages....but i suppose, since i have to, i'll probably continue spanish, or start off new with french....I obviously did not register yet

French...do French....

Hee hee! I'm in love with France and with French. It's definatly worth doing. I've also done Latin, which is really boring until you're in the 4th year and translating literature. I spent so many long long long hours with Vergil's Aeneid.... But I really suggest French and it won't be too hard to pick up with a familiarity in Spanish. I find that I can read a fair amount of Spanish and Italian and my immersion friends can read a good amount of French.

Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws. ~ Douglas Adams

If someone wants a sheep, then that means that he exists. ~ Antoine de St. Exupery
Old 06-30-2006, 08:41 PM
Susana Vieira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Ray
I'm taking Chinese..I want to go to graduate school in China..so, I think that's the most beneficial.

i really wanted to take chinese, since their economy is rising so much now a days and who knows where we'll end up in the future, but i signed up for italian. I dunno..i might still change it until mid-july, but i'm gonna have to think about it some more
Old 07-01-2006, 12:14 AM
Alona Gutman

I'm planning on taking Russian this year- I haven't completed my course schedual, but I think I'll sign up for Intermediate since I already have a good understanding of it and can read it- I just hope my level is equal in writing, I suppose I'll just have to take the placement test in the fall to find out. I never took any real classes, but my dad has been giving me occasional lessons for years, since he is from Russia.

As for French, I'm hoping to have time in a different semester for a conversational French class, or something like that- I reached level six in high school, but I was never really great at French, though I'm very into the culture and music. I have been doing some translations for fun (*gasp*), but for speech a real immersion program/semester abroad would be the best thing. I just don't want to lose the language altogether, after working at it for so many years; it took me so long to finally develop a real appreciation for French, so I'm just hoping to have a good opportunity to study it at Drew.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:41 AM
Ranger Cub

I did all French immersion in Brest France with IU Honors. (They bring over a group of kids for a homestay program in Brittany with the major rule of no English for two months.) My spoken and listening comprehension are fairly good, and I know I have a really good reading/writing. Latin, I decided to drop for the time being. I'll probably take a placement test, but I don't know if I want to continue.

Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws. ~ Douglas Adams

If someone wants a sheep, then that means that he exists. ~ Antoine de St. Exupery
Old 07-01-2006, 02:48 AM
Jenna Matthews

I decided to continue taking spanish too. Although I was jipped out of taking my 4th yr of espanol in HS because of course scheduling. I really want to take French! Love everything about them and will probably pick it up spring semester
Old 07-03-2006, 12:38 AM
Erin Carroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susana Vieira
i signed up for italian since i'm already fluent in spanish. :-) i really wanted to take either latin or chinese, but i wasn't sure.
I took four years of latin in high school, and plan to continue with it in college. It's a great language, and very challenging. I highly recommend at least taking a beginner course to see if you might like it.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:40 AM
Erin Carroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Benavides
anybody takin german... i'm a try n take german 7 cuz i did sum german in h.s.
I need to become fluent in german by the time i reach graduate school for my major, so i'll be taking german in the fall too. I've begun teaching myself some basic german with a computer program, so I won't be so lost in the fall, but I'll definately be in the beginner class.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:25 AM
Matthew Ogonowski

i'll be taking german in the fall too. i've takin six years and took ap last year. jesus i know its alot. i think i'm taking german 30, the intermediate one. anyone else taking that?