Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2005, 01:19 PM
Matthew J. Stuart

Talking We're going abroad!

Yay! They made the forum! Alright all of you fellow Drewids going abroad, now we have a forum to post all about our trips which will undoubtedly be amazing! I'm going to Brussels with the Drew semester in Europe. Where is everyone else going?
Old 08-08-2005, 11:20 PM
Henry W. Coates

I'm going to King's College London for ten months, but not through Drew rather Arcadia University. I'll be studying war. It will totally be badass.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:28 AM
Stephanie E. Patent

What's the deal with finances when you go abroad through another university? Does Drew pay for the credits or some of them? What about your scholarships if you have any? Do you lose them? Can you re-apply for money through the other college?
Old 08-09-2005, 12:22 PM
Henry W. Coates

Well, when you apply to go through another university, you basiclly have to do everything by yourself. The office at Drew will hold your paper work and send it out, but you have to go through a long process.
First, you have to see if the program you want to do is an approved program (they have a list). My program wasn't an approved program, because they really only want people to go on Drew's on London semester. They will make exceptions, however, when you write a petition saying why you want to go to England through another program. Once that petition's been passed, you have to find classes you want to take abraod. Your advisor, head of the department, and the registror all have to approve the classes. This insures that you will get credit for the classes.

Then you actually have to apply to the program. Now to actually answer your question. Drew takes away Merit scholarship but I think keeps need base. Tuition is very confusing, and Drew in many ways "screws you over" for the money---you have to pay Drew tuition, and then Drew pays the other university's tuition. If Drew's tuition is higher than the other school's, well too bad, they pocket the money. You can, however, apply to other schools financial aid that will go towards the money you will pay at Drew (I think). There are also a variety of other scholerships from foundations and societies out there specificly designed for students studying abroad. I just won a $10,000 scholarship from the society of "The Sons of St. George" for being "English and Excellent". So, other forms of money DO exist outthere.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:12 PM
Stephanie E. Patent

Wow, it sounds like you really had to have your shit together. How did you find out about the program, anyway?
Old 08-10-2005, 05:31 PM
Henry W. Coates

I found out about this program at a study abroad fair that took place in UC107. Arcadia University was there, and I took one of the information booklets they had and went back to my room. I then read it, found a perfect program for me, and then proceded to do everything that I listed above=p.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Matthew J. Stuart

London sounds like fun, and it's too bad Drew makes you jump through so many hopes, but I guess you can understand that they don't want to lose your business. My concern about the Brussels semester is that they only give you a $1000 spending account for food. I'm pretty sure that $1000 is American dollars, not Euros, so it's really worth about 700 euros at this time. 700 euros isn't going to go very far towards food, unless you enjoy living on something cheap, like rice, beans, and potatoes. I've been working full time all summer to save money so I can have a good time in Europe. A man's gotta eat!
Old 08-11-2005, 06:45 PM
Henry W. Coates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew J. Stuart
London sounds like fun, and it's too bad Drew makes you jump through so many hopes, but I guess you can understand that they don't want to lose your business. My concern about the Brussels semester is that they only give you a $1000 spending account for food. I'm pretty sure that $1000 is American dollars, not Euros, so it's really worth about 700 euros at this time. 700 euros isn't going to go very far towards food, unless you enjoy living on something cheap, like rice, beans, and potatoes. I've been working full time all summer to save money so I can have a good time in Europe. A man's gotta eat!

True, true! Now, here's what I suggest. I've never been to Brussels, but I have been to Europe several times. Find the Turkish quarter, and buy Kebabs. Cheap, and OH so good.

BTW, who's all going to Brussels?
Old 09-07-2005, 11:00 AM
Nicole K. McCormack

Default The "study abroad process" explained...

Henry did a great job of explaining the process of application and finances, but let me just clear a few things up so there isn't any confusion...

1) To find programs, I suggest you first visit our office website (www.depts.drew.edu/offcampus) or call me (ext. 3930) so I can point you in the right direction. You can view the Approved List online to see which programs the University has pre-approved. It is fairly simple to attend a program that is not on the approved list, as Henry explained, it just required you to submit an essay explaining why you have selected that particular program.

2) Trust me...we're not trying to make this process hard, but it does involve alot of paperwork, so my advice is to start early. You have to apply for permission from Drew so that you will get credit for the classes you take abroad and you also have to apply directly to the program, as Henry explained. You'll need to get signatures from your advisor, department chairs and the Registrar, which just takes a little time. We'll help you through this process if yuo need it.

3) In terms of finances for the program, you do still pay Drew tuition, but instead of Drew room and board, you pay the room and board charge of the program you have selected. henry is correct in that Merit Aid does not travel with students to other universities (This is not only a Drew policy, but many other universities as well, so Drew isn't trying to pull one over on you) Paying your Drew tuition allows you to maintain all Federal and State aid, like Stafford Loans, Perkins Loans, Pell grants, etc. Plus, you may be eligilble for additional aid with the loss of any merit aid. There are a number of outside scholarships, as Henry mentioned. Check out our website where we have a chart outlining those available to Drew students.

If anyone else has any questions, please do get in touch with me...or Henry! My ext. is 3930 or email me at nmccorma@drew.edu.