FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2008, 01:43 AM
Young Squirrel

Unhappy number of courses

I have a general question,
so we've received our packet to register in classes,
how many blocks do people usually fill?
in other words,
how many credits should we take each semester?
The timetable that was sent to us was only for one semester, correct??
I'm confused.
I have 32 credits and I feel like its way too much.
But I really want to take these classes, am i able to enroll in some of these classes for second semester??

thank you!
Old 07-01-2008, 07:26 AM
Nicole D. Entwistle

Usually between 16 and 20 credits is normal for a semester. The classes you're unable to take may not be offered next semester, but they'll likely come up again another semester.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:42 AM
Jackie DiLorenzo

If you're a freshman, your advisor is most likely not going to let you take more than 16. Some freshmen do take 20 credits their first semester but I would advise doing 16 so you have more free time/time to adjust and get used to college, etc. In general, the max is 20 credits... anything over that and you have to have it formally approved and I think it costs more per credit.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:40 PM
Alexander J. Ketaineck

Default take 16 credits

Don't take more than 16 credits in your first semester. Wait until you have the hang of college before you punish yourself like that. And 32 credits would be crazy. That would put you on pace to graduate after four semesters.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:24 PM
Sarah E. Kamins

I second what everyone else has said. Take it from a recent graduate, as tempting as it is to cram lots of classes into each semester, it is not practical and may damage your GPA. The school definitely won't let you take 32 credits I left early one semester due to being sick and had to finish 31 credits the next semester and it was horrible. Try not to do that to yourself. Also, it's true after I believe 20 credits, you have to petition to take more classes and pay extra money. Which is lame. If your really interested in a class, but it doesn't fit into your schedule now, look on the drew catalog to find out when it's offered again. If your confused about the class, email the professor and just say, "I'd love to know when this class will be offered again". They should let you know and you can file that away for later.

If you know what major you want to be, take at least one intro class for that first semester. That way you'll know if you want to stick with it. Then you have your fys and two more classes to choose. If you're a science, math or pre-med major you have less flexability about when you take classes. In my experience other majors are easier to decide on after your first semester. Just so you know, you sit down with your freshman advisor right away and he/she will help you map out at least your first year if not more.

Good luck and have fun in the forest
Old 07-04-2008, 08:55 PM
Squirrel

Thumbs up Go for it

I just finished my freshman year and I took 19 credits my first semester... i was even doing a sport and I was totally fine. Second semester I took 20 credits and was again in another season playing softball and I was again on Dean's list so it's totally doable and I had no problem keeping my grades up and taking the classes i wanted to. If you can manage your time well, its definitely to your advantage if you want to take a lot of credits.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Ranger Cub

I'm also having that issue. At first was taking French, Math, FYS, Bio, & Chem. Then I had a revelation over the summer that maybe Pre-Med wasn't for me, or at least not yet =P. SO, I revamped my schedule and now I'm taking French 100, Math 7, FYS Hispanic Caribbean Culture, Photography, and Ballroom. Total credits is 21. But granted Ballroom and Photography shouldn't be "that" time consuming; although being in the darkroom can take up some time which I've learned to manage last year in highschool, spending hours there after school and doing ok with work.) Anyway, as you can see I can ramble on for paragraphs. So I think I would be ok with French100, Math7, FYS Hisp. Carib. Cult., Photo, & Ballroom... right?
Old 08-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Junior Drewid

Default Regulations

The Faculty Regs, section 110, say:

Quote:
.2 Maximum registration. First year students are strongly advised not to register for more than 16-18 credits during their first semester. After their first semester, students may register for a maximum of 20 credits provided their cumulative GPA is at least 2.0. (CLA 94-60)

.3 Additional hours. Approval of the Committee on Academic Standing is required for any registration in excess of 20 credit hours.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:31 AM
Ranger Cub

Got it. Thanks!