Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Announcements & General Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2009, 10:26 PM
Amrita Raman

Just to chip in - as a graduating senior, I wanted to hear inspiration for the future and not strange references to Obama. And of course, Obama's first concern as President has been....money! So obviously, it's not a partisan thing the last time I checked. And what was up with the lady who was like "I had horrible depression...there are people dying out there...write books for people who can't read"? What a downer.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:29 PM
Kevin Domanski

If McCain had won I'm sure there would have been plenty of references to him throughout the day. Simply referring to someone in politics doesn't mean you are being inundated by whatever politics they believe in. Referring to Obama was a way to make the speeches current and specifically relevant to the time in which our class is graduating; be it "Drew Kindle" or Obama - they are attempts to be contemporary.

If hearing his name mentioned or the fact plainly stated that he is the first black president in our history offended you, well then I'm sorry. In my humble opinion, if anything was offensive, it was the shear length of ceremony. Everything was incredibly long and drawn out, except for Seth's speech which was the highlight of the whole event.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:26 AM
Elizabeth A. Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Domanski
If McCain had won I'm sure there would have been plenty of references to him throughout the day.

I highly doubt this would be the case for the simple reason that at our school, among the students and the administration, Obama seems to be more popular. (Note, I still stand by the opinion that this isn't the case with the parents due to my observation of those sitting at graduation. But, this is debateable.) This is rather obvious if you've lived on campus. Also, a McCain win is not nearly as interesting as an Obama win, if only for the fact that we've already had elderly white males in office.

Quote:
Simply referring to someone in politics doesn't mean you are being inundated by whatever politics they believe in. Referring to Obama was a way to make the speeches current and specifically relevant to the time in which our class is graduating

While that is true, and I actually do agree with you, the references were excessive, and they flowed out of more than just Wesibuch's mouth. If you want to argue that no, they weren't excessive, then that's fine. Just don't expect me to agree.

Quote:
If hearing his name mentioned or the fact plainly stated that he is the first black president in our history offended you, well then I'm sorry.

I'm not quite sure what your meaning is in this statement, but it seems to imply me being a racist. If that is the case, I strongly suggest that you be aware of how you respond to this post, if you do so at all. For one, you know nothing of my background or my heritage. Two, you've clearly missed my point entirely. Why would that offend me? Why does not wanting to hear more about Obama make me a racist? Quite frankly, that's the kind of ignorance that angers me.

What offended me was the excessive referencing when to so do over and over blatantly disregarded Saturday's audience. What offended me was that we would rather draw out the ceremony with these types of references than announce the awards people received for their acheivements. I honestly would've rather had been forced to sit through those announcements than listen to what sounded to me like farfetched bs. I mean, comparing Drew to Hawaii? Comparing a man to a university? I mean no disrespect to the administration, but come on.

While I do think Obama is a symbol of progress in this country because he shows that to an extent, we have overcome racist values, he is a human being. He is a politician, and a human being. It's true that he is an inspiration to many people because of what he stands for and what he represents, but other than as an abstract symbol, he is still a politician in my eyes. And personally, I don't look to politicians for inspiration, because I have the very cynical belief that to be in that line of work, especially that high up, you must screw over other people. (If that offends some people reading this, I apologize for the offense as that is not my intention. It is merely my opinion.) In the same vein, I'm not sold on Obama being some type of saint.

Last edited by Elizabeth A. Young : 05-19-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:40 AM
Kevin Domanski

The latter most statement of mine wasn't any implication of racism or hatred etc.....it was more directed at the initial poster as I felt the reason they created this thread was sort of vague/unfounded as in my opinion I didn't feel any obsessive pulls to any sort of politician or what have you.

Anyways, of course everyone is entitled to their own opinions and able to draw their own conclusions. My experience at the graduation didn't leave me feeling that Obama or any politician was referenced to excessively. That's all I meant by my previous post.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:40 PM
Camille M. Gallo

Quote:
The latter most statement of mine wasn't any implication of racism or hatred etc.....it was more directed at the initial poster as I felt the reason they created this thread was sort of vague/unfounded as in my opinion I didn't feel any obsessive pulls to any sort of politician or what have you.

Anyways, of course everyone is entitled to their own opinions and able to draw their own conclusions. My experience at the graduation didn't leave me feeling that Obama or any politician was referenced to excessively. That's all I meant by my previous post.

I said mentioning Obama as the first black president was perfectly fine, because it is obviously monumental and completely relevant to the current time period that my graduation occured in, as you said. Also that was the first thing Wiesbuch said about him in his opening address and I have no problem with that. What I had a problem with was the political nature of EVERYONE's speeches, expect for Seth's, which was awsome .

I sincerely hope you are not implying any sort of racism/hatred in my words, because that is CERTAINLY NOT what was meant by it.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:56 AM
John Mangione

Lightbulb

i love disagreeable school events. i've learned to just suck it up and go along with it, just to say i did it. i mean these events are always disagreeable, from the ore dourves to the patronage to your tacky parents, the list goes on. take it with a grain of salt!

besides, someone just sounds like they have their panties all in a twitter because they lost the power to filibuster in the senate . only teasing . good luck and take care for now.

-john
Old 05-25-2009, 10:19 PM
Elizabeth A. Young

Heh, I like how it has to come down to "oh, you're just being a sore loser".