Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Technology Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Squirrel

Default Please Fix the Wireless

Technology Department:
It is not a huge proble, because at least there is a direct ethernet connection I can use, but can we do something about the wireless? Both the signal, and the speed after you get it. The signal is very weak- at best, and then when/if you finally get it, it goes very slow, this is easily fixable.

The signal strength used to be weak in the in the dorms, and in the commons. These are some prime places that we have to use the wireless, and much of the time we cannot, while the rest of the time we can but it is very slow. The speed is not as much of a problem for me, although I would like to see that improve if possible, but the fact that it is unavailable/has a very weak signal is a huge problem, and can easily be fixed.

A stronger antenna-dish to distribute the signal would be a quick fix, but maybe even splitting the network into several 'Drew Networks' is also a good idea. (Not to mention, I am pretty sure that's what NYU does, and they must have an even biger problem of being a large school) If you split the network, you could spread out the sources, and make certain networks strongest at certain locations... Or, if you are very against splitting the network, you can just put more base-stations down to distribute the current wireless signal.

I'll leave choosing and implementing a solution up to you, but this is a problem that has existed as long as I've been a student here, and it really has to be fixed; it is a very basic need for a student (possibly in a computer class) to use his/her computer.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:28 PM

Benjamin,

Can you specify some specific locations you're having problems? We added wireless to all the residence halls last year, and believe the coverage there is good overall, but there may be some specific places where the signal is low that we have not identified. If there are other locations you know of where the signal is not what you like, we can investigate and try and upgrade those as well.

The Library is the most urgent need right now; we're installing that equipment shortly.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:39 AM
Young Squirrel

Default wireless

Internet service in Seminary Hall is terrible as well. We attempt to connect and wait and wait and never get connected. Or we get connected to loose the signal.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Ranger Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richichi
Benjamin,

Can you specify some specific locations you're having problems? We added wireless to all the residence halls last year, and believe the coverage there is good overall, but there may be some specific places where the signal is low that we have not identified. If there are other locations you know of where the signal is not what you like, we can investigate and try and upgrade those as well.

The Library is the most urgent need right now; we're installing that equipment shortly.

A few specific places I've noticed problems:

Riker. Yes, all of Riker. Pretty much nowhere in that building am I able to get a solid connection. This is with two computers and 4 mobile devices. Curiously, my Nexus One gets pretty decent wifi signal in there. Not sure what that's about.

The ends of the halls on Hoyt 2nd. I realize it's probably because the AP is paced in the middle of the hall somewhere, but the signal is very weak at the ends of the halls.

Tolley 2nd, middle of the hall. Not sure what that's about, even though in this case, it's not always a case of weak signal. Sometimes I'll join and be unable to connect to the internet, even though the signal reads >80%. This is with two computers. Phones and mobile devices seem not to have a problem with this one.

The UC Snack Bar. I get nothing. My phone's cell service goes away *and* the wifi gives me at best a 10% signal, which isn't stable enough to actually load anything. Once outside the Snack Bar and the hall leading to it, everything becomes fine.

Those are the places I've noticed problems, though as with many EMF-related things, your mileage may vary.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:00 AM
Young Squirrel

Brown 2nd is another problem spot where the wireless is not working.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:13 AM
Squirrel

I live in Riker on the 1st floor in the corner by Earth House and my wireless ALWAYS works perfectly fine.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Junior Drewid

I'm on the opposite side of riker one and the best i can manage on any of my wireless devices is 1 bar near the window.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Squirrel

There is little to no coverage in Foster 2nd floor
Old 12-07-2010, 06:03 PM
Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn M. Noland
I live in Riker on the 1st floor in the corner by Earth House and my wireless ALWAYS works perfectly fine.

I do not think that applies to all of us because I live on the 1st floor of Riker as well and my wireless NEVER worked properly. At least at my end of Riker.

According to CNS, the solution to the problem was to keep my door open because it boosts the signal, but I hope you would understand why that is not a viable option.

I personally think it is unfair that we all pay the same price for room & board (dependent upon whether you have a single or double), so I would expect to receive the same services available to my fellow residents, but instead get different sort of service. I first reported this problem at the end of September and absolutely NOTHING has been done to resolve the issue with the answer I've given. I keep getting the same questions asked by different people.

Rico
Old 12-08-2010, 09:33 AM

Ricardo,

We are looking at how to improve the situation in Riker. It's a difficult building due to its architecture. We might need to add or reconfigure access points but we have to plan that and do it as a project, and we also have to find the funding.