Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Technology Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2007, 09:09 AM
Gibson W. Forsyth

Default The scrolling screen in the Commons

Does anyone know what controls the scrolling screen in the commons (above the clock)? It has been flashing the same message about the graduating class of last year since the year started. Is it on the network or controlled from somewhere else?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Kelly A. Shugrue

I believe that the marquee in the Commons is controlled by the Student Alumni Association. They usually post a message about advertising events, meetings, or just wishing someone a happy birthday. I don't know what's going on with that, but you can e-mail the SAA at "saa@drew.edu"
Old 03-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Victoria A. Webbe

This is solely gossip, but I heard someone lost the remote that programs the board so they can't change it.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Squirrel

For my entire 4 years at Drew, the scrolling message was updated at most twice a year. More than once I made the exact same observation about it having a message about the graduting class of the previous year still up in the Spring. So yeah, they might have lost the remote, but even if they didn't it's not unusual for the sign to be horribly out of date.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:14 PM

I thought there was some PC set up somewhere in the Commons with a serial connection that was used to modify the board. If that PC was removed or replaced at some point, that might've been "lost". I could be misremembering, though.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Ranger Cub

At the risk of self-incrimination...

It is possible that the attatched picture is the last known evidence of the "Remote Control".

We found it lying on a table in the University Club during the preparations for last years Senior Banquet right before we served the seniors.

We took the picture of me holding the remote control because it was funny -- a gigantic remote control labeled simply, "REMOTE CONTROL". We then put said "Remote Control" safely back on the table where we found it and went on about our business.

At the time we had no idea what it was, although we are beginning to suspect that this is the last known location of the Scrolling message remote control.

Has anyone who works in the commons seen this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg remotecontrol.jpg (81.1 KB, 14 views)