uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2005, 12:28 PM
Kelley A. Blessing

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin R. Shedlock
Agreed. The plot was just a little too bland. Beyond the kite/freedom thing, I didn't really see much to get excited about. I disagree on the ending-- I thought it was positive. There was no need to trace anyone any further; Sohrab picked up his childhood where Amir and Hassan left off- flying a kite, and he began to engage the world at that point. I think only that Hosseini thinks that that's as much as anyone could have been redeemed. I didn't like the ending, as I thought it was too easy. You just can't destroy children in American books.

Benjamin

Personally I agree with you Benjamin. The ending totally left me flat. He left so much unresolved. I'm not a big fan of authors who build a story and then proceed to just basically say 'and that's it folks!' I too, thought the ending was way to easy.

Amir, as a character, did not really stir me one way or another. I mean yes, he infuriated me beyond belief at some points, but usually I try to feel emotionally connected with the narrator. I couldn't find that connection with Amir. He just seemed flat and lifeless to me. It just seemed as though he was relating what had happened but put little to no effort in including emotional responses to them.

As for the villian, I'm not a huge fan of books where the, like someone cleverly said in this thread, there is a neon sign above their heads saying 'VILLIAN! BAD GUY' I prefer books where the villianly is more subtle. But then again, that's just personal taste.

Benjamin, I noticed your mention of Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man earlier in the thread. Now that is a book riddled with symbolism! From the brushes to epiphanies! (sp) People can say what they want about Joyce but his characters are definately well drawn. I'd love to hear your opinion of Portrait some time. Yuo're one of the only people I know that actually read and understood it. I agree with you when you said we're deflinately not looking at the next Joyce or Faulkner.

Just my two cents!
Kelley
Old 08-23-2005, 03:01 PM
Rachel M. Kenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin R. Shedlock
No- Maybe I'm missing something, but I really think Amir's gotta be the protagonist. The whole thing revolves around his redemption. Hassan was a device for setting up the problem for Amir. Hassan never has to redeem himself- he just has an uphill struggle for the entire book and his entire life. I never really saw more than him being downtrodden. I thought he was a strong character, likable and interesting, but I never really saw him as fighting against anything.

Yeah, he's not the antagonist. It was just a thought. Hassan does move the book forward, though. Without him, Amir would have just wandered around wondering why his father didn't love him, and then move to America, and that would be that. Amir causes so many bad things to happen. . . I'm not explaining myself well, I'm afraid.

Quote:
Yea, it's supposed to show how close home it hit, but is showing a whole community getting back on its feet really the most effective way to do that? WHy not just sit there and chronicle thirty years of a village being systematically destroyed and never quite rebuilt?

I agree. Would've been more interesting that way. Oh well.

Quote:
Whatever. At least the book provokes good discussion with its inadequacy!

Heh, touché.

Cheers
Rachel
Old 08-23-2005, 04:03 PM
Benjamin R. Shedlock

I'm liking the "touché." It's one of my favorite debating devices!!
Old 08-24-2005, 11:29 PM
Young Squirrel

I found it cliche and drab. a few parts could have been exciting, but they sounded like a soap opera, especially the account of hassan's life after amir. the only thing new about it was "the taliban sucks" message that came with amir's account of his return to afghanistan.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:33 AM
Amanda L. Brennan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley A. Blessing
Benjamin, I noticed your mention of Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man earlier in the thread. Now that is a book riddled with symbolism! From the brushes to epiphanies! (sp) People can say what they want about Joyce but his characters are definately well drawn. I'd love to hear your opinion of Portrait some time. Yuo're one of the only people I know that actually read and understood it. I agree with you when you said we're deflinately not looking at the next Joyce or Faulkner.

Portrait is my favorite book ever omg omg.
/jamesjoyce fangirl reaction.

No but really. I'm the president of its fanclub.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:24 AM
Daniel K. Carmody

Well, first of all Hosseini does allude to the fact that Sohrab does speak again.
"So I left the room and went looking for another hotel, unaware that almost a year would pass before I would hear Sohrab speak another word."
So, the ending is a bit more uplifting considering that.
But my personal take on the story is that is wasn't trying to be the protagonist saves the day type of story where he can do no wrong. Amir is supposed to be seen as a coward and actually pretty mean to Hassan at points, but that point is he's a real person. This is Afghanistan, the people there are no different that ones here with our flaws and mistakes.