Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Announcements & General Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2007, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren L. Franko
I would imagine (this is just a guess) that students are exempt from the food tax because prepared food is the only thing offered to us. We must have a meal plan, and that is basically our main way to get food. Prepared food in NJ has a sales tax because it isn't required a necessity. However, for Drew Students it is a necessity. Perhaps that is why we are exempt?

It might be more straightforward - meal plan points aren't cash, and people pay board (also not taxable) for food, including the meal points. A cash transaction at the snack bar would likely incur sales tax, since it's outside the boundaries of the meal plan. That's not any less a guess than your suggestion, though.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Junior Drewid

I asked somebody and I think Paul's got it. It's part of "board" and so not really being sold to students if they use points.

Now, if you use your own money...
Old 09-22-2007, 03:21 PM
Robert Wnorowski

Aramark did not charge a tax even if you paid with cash or credit/debit. I am curious to know whether faculty members were charged a tax under Aramark.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:19 PM

I don't think Aramark charged tax to faculty and staff.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:11 PM
Young Squirrel

Default Commons is filthy

As a grad student, I'm not locked into a meal plan. I eat at home. Going to the Commons is supposed to be my "treat." But I gave up going to the Snack Bar a couple years ago (with the exception of a carry-out beverage or an emergency) because they never washed a table and I'm about to do the same with the Commons.

I've always gone to the Commons 1-3 times per week and have always been so happy that they kept the place up better than the Snack Bar so at least there's one place on campus that isn't scary. But they've stopped caring. They don't even have comment cards anymore so you can tell them there's a problem.

It used to be that you'd see someone coming around cleaning tables all through the lunch period. Now when I come in between 12:30 & 1:30, the place is largely empty by then, but EVERY spot at every table is so disgusting I can't find a place to sit. The lady doesn't even start to come around to wash tables till at least 2:00 now. It's been this way all semester & I've had enough. I can take my money uptown for my "treat" -- and I'm just about to.

The problem is worst on "Trayless Tuesdays" because you don't even have a tray between your silverware, etc., and the disgusting tables. That, by the way, is the silliest idea I have ever heard of anyhow. I don't take less food, I just have to make more trips to get it. And no energy is being saved when I have to use a whole container of napkins to make myself a tablecloth because the tables are so gross.

Anyhow, I'm going to try it one more time, and if they haven't cleaned up their act -- literally -- I'll head to Atlanta Bread or Burger King or Romanelli's from now on.