Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Technology Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Bethany R. Conly

Default Opening docx files with older class of 09 computer software

I have the older version of Windows on my class of 09 laptop and have had a number of issues opening papers sent to me by other students that all have the new Windows XP on their laptops....is there a way that I can make them compatible to view them?
Old 11-05-2008, 08:34 PM

Not to be picky, but the older version of Office is actually the problem. The version of Windows doesn't matter.

You have two choices - assuming you're logging into the network, you can run the application explorer and under drew > install software look for the Microsoft Office folder. There ought to be an icon for the updated file filters (file compatibility update), or there's another icon for the Office 2007 install. The former will allow you to open docx files, but you can't use all the new features, the latter will give you the new version of Microsoft Office, which takes a little getting used to.

You can also ask the people sending you documents to use "save as" instead and pick the Office XP/Office 2003 compatible Word format when they're saving stuff to send to you. It's easy to do.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Junior Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethany R. Conly
I have the older version of Windows on my class of 09 laptop and have had a number of issues opening papers sent to me by other students that all have the new Windows XP on their laptops....is there a way that I can make them compatible to view them?
Go get OpenOffice from openoffice.org. It's a free alternative to the M$ suite of apps and it can read the newer files. Really complex formatting con sometimes not work right in their word processor, but most student work isn't going to fall into that category.

Oh, and switch to OpenOffice. Their filetypes are open and an accepted ISO/IEC standard, unlike M$'s.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:01 AM

Since she's a student here, she's entitled to the upgraded version of the Microsoft suite, and under the terms of the license can continue to use it once she graduates. Given that, updating the suite she's already used to in order to support the new file formats, or else installing Office 2007 which she's entitled to and can get support for would be the two best options.

If you do need any help installing either, call the CNS Helpdesk at 3205.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Alistar A. Erickson-Ludwig

You can go to Application Explorer on your desktop, click the Drew icon and you should be able to find and easily download the new version of all office programs. That's what I did.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Jennifer A. Fox

I just got a new office desktop and am running Office 2003 (please don't suggest switching to Office 2007 as the fix -- that's not happening!!). But I need to be able to read student papers prepared in Office 2007. I just checked the Application Explorer and the only option is the 2007 install. Can anyone point me to where I can find the file filter thing that allows the older version of Word open the newer docx files?
Old 02-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Squirrel

This link should do the trick:

Click Me

Last edited by Brian R. Gardner : 02-03-2009 at 04:17 PM.