Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2005, 02:26 PM
Elder Drewid

Who are you people and why are you posting on my board?!
Old 11-01-2005, 02:32 PM

You just had to make that post so that you wouldn't still be tied with Gary.

You're out to hold on to #2, I know it!

the Enterprise Technology Center
Old 11-01-2005, 02:47 PM
Ranger Cub

Thumbs up film at Drew

I re-read this entire thread and all I see is that there are a significant number of students interested in film. There is no need to cast disparaging remarks about them. They are enthused and that is a great thing.

The comments about cost of education are well taken...and must be considered however there are ways around it...like the suggestion of piggybacking with FDU or perhaps soliciting corporations for donations of $$$$ or used equipment. Perhaps the student would have to supply his/her own camera not unlike the laptop program. These are just a few ideas I'm sure there are even more that would work.

Yes there are other schools around that offer film but they don't offer the atmosphere and community that is found here at Drew. Don't underestimate that, Drew is a special place to those who are here and not something that these students want to leave.

Next step is to formulate a proposal and get it to the administration. Dr. Weisbuch seems very open to innovation and to improving Drew's place in the market of Liberal Arts Universities. A well thought out and researched proposal will get treated with the respect and attention it deserves I'm sure.

Good Luck!
Old 11-01-2005, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Perhaps the student would have to supply his/her own camera not unlike the laptop program
I'm going to have to post a correction here. The laptop program is not a "bring your own" free-for-all affair. Essentially the program has not changed from previous years, except for moving the cost out of tuition. Students are still expected to use the Drew computer. If they wish to bring a different machine they must apply for a specific exception which is approved by a committee designated for that purpose.

There's is a huge amount of misinformation about this amongst the faculty, staff, and students, so it is important that we get the right message out.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:38 PM
Elder Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell W. Sprague
You just had to make that post so that you wouldn't still be tied with Gary.

You're out to hold on to #2, I know it!

Yup, I even issued him a warning for it.

He's in danger of being re-demoted.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:51 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark A. Tauriello
To Zach....

You are being immature. For example one of your posts said " Wow...Someone got a bunch of people together and posted". Please explain to me how that isn't immature.

I'm sorry, I must have been mistaken. It's just so coincidental that seven people happened to come to this board in one 90-minute period, six for their first post, and one for her third, and express support for this idea. I guess this does happen all the time, that there's a flood of posters in a topic that's six days dead.

Quote:
Like someone stated, you obviously are not interested in supporting the Drew students that are trying to get a film major here at Drew. So why are you even bothering even posting. Like you said earlier, if you REALLY want to learn about rock climbing, and you are PASSIONATE about it, then why don't you try to do something about it then.

This is exactly my point. If you all are so passionate, why did no one respond to the two original posts that offered suggestions. No "how would we do this," or "hey! what a good idea," or even "thanks for the suggestion!" If YOU all are so passionate, why are you doing nothing other than posting on a forum which doesn't even seem to be read by the people who can make decisions. This topic isn't a "suggestion," it's a "gripe." That's what's bothering me.

Quote:
Also you say that no one has said anything to help. That may be, but at least they are supporting a film major/ minor.

This isn't a petition, this isn't something that's going to help get a film major. This thread hasn't done anything to get a film major so far. It certainly could, if you get something going, but nothing has been done so far, nor have any plans been made.

Quote:
All I am saying is that you obviously don't take an interest in this topic, and it seems that you are doing nothing but discouraging this.

I'm sorry I'm realistic, but if you don't look at if and how things can actually be implemented, you won't get much done.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:10 PM
Mark A. Tauriello

To zach...

What you said is still immature. And the reason why a bunch of people commented within a 90 minute period was because word finally got out that there was a post about a film major, everyone that was interested responded avidly.

The thread is basically to see the amount of people who want a film major, and to contact others who want a film major and see what we can all do together to get a film major here at Drew.

I understand it's going to be difficult, but like i have stated, your negative remarks don't help to the situation any. The first step in getting a film major here at Drew is to see the LARGE amount of people actually interested. This thread is just to get word out, suggesetions, and comments about getting a film major here. I respect that you are realistic, I too am realistic, but I don't point out the truth to people in discouraging ways.

There are other ways we can fund money here at Drew for a film major. So it's not as hopeless as some people think.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:47 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark A. Tauriello
What you said is still immature. And the reason why a bunch of people commented within a 90 minute period was because word finally got out that there was a post about a film major, everyone that was interested responded avidly.
...so I was right, then. Now you're being immature, because that's the same thing I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Wow...someone got together a bunch of people and had them post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
The thread is basically to see the amount of people who want a film major, and to contact others who want a film major and see what we can all do together to get a film major here at Drew.

And the response to actual suggestions has been tremendously positive, so far.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:46 PM

Default For those advocating a Film major.

At this risk of being labeled a "pessimist" or simply "unhelpful"...

Perhaps it would be a more productive discussion for those interested in Film, to think about specific things that could be done within the context of the existing academic program to meet their needs. Are there course offerings you'd like to see in one of the existing departments that are currently lacking? Are there specific faculty you might approach to pitch the idea of offering certain courses?

Even assuming that the idea of a Film major gained the full and immediate support of the faculty and the University administration today, it is extremely unlikely that anyone who is currently a First Year student would be able to graduate with a major in Film in four years. It would be an enormous undertaking to create such a program. It would require a great deal of fundraising. A new program is going to need facilities, a program Chair, and faculty to teach the courses. It will take time to develop a course of study that fits within a liberal arts education. This will require an enormous effort from the faculty involved.

In light of the scope of the undertaking, it is essential to consider what goals you are trying to accomplish. Are you advocating the creation of the program because you think it is strategic to the University's mission? Are you willing to commit personal time and energy to something where the fruits of your efforts will not be realized until after you've graduated? If this is the case then I would applaud your efforts!

However, if you are trying to accomplish specific academic goals, which include studying film as part of your time as a student here at Drew, then a more conservative set of objectives is indicated. Engaging the faculty in the Theater and English departments, for instance, to see what courses could be added to augment existing programs is more likely to yield results within a timeframe that will be useful to you.

Last edited by E. Axel Larsson : 11-01-2005 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:12 AM
Ryan J. Crowley

It could be that a way to go about this is to start with a specialized major, the way that the Behavioral Sciences major started (I believe). Look at the list of courses offered. For example: Digital Multimedia. Has a film component. Definitely a helpful course to take. Then there are numerous classes that study film. Look these up, put together what you think would be a useful and comprehensive program, and present it to one of the Deans (I never attempted something like this so I don't know who to go to but maybe one of the fac/alums does). It won't become a definite major right away but at least it's a start. To think we're going to get a major from the ground up does seem a little shaky, with no offense. It's a really good idea. Then again, I've seen really good ideas go by the wayside. We had a TV station my freshman year, or we tried to. We were interested, very much so, but it wasn't feasible.

It doesn't mean that you can't. This isn't to discourage you. It's just saying if you are serious about this, make sure you have all the tools necessary (part of our problem was we didn't), and be prepared for a hard road.

Also keep in mind, not getting something you want doesn't always mean you didn't try hard enough to get it. Sometimes it just isn't so.

It helps to see both sides of the situation. Maybe you'll get it, or see something develop or snowball in the right direction, or maybe it won't happen. All the same, doesn't hurt to try.