Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2005, 10:35 AM
Elder Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary C. Kanfer
...so I was right, then. Now you're being immature, because that's the same thing I said:

My hero...
Old 11-02-2005, 01:09 PM
Ranger Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Axel Larsson
I'm going to have to post a correction here. The laptop program is not a "bring your own" free-for-all affair. Essentially the program has not changed from previous years, except for moving the cost out of tuition. Students are still expected to use the Drew computer. If they wish to bring a different machine they must apply for a specific exception which is approved by a committee designated for that purpose.

There's is a huge amount of misinformation about this amongst the faculty, staff, and students, so it is important that we get the right message out.

I appreciate your clarifying the computer issue...what I meant to say is that the financial responsibility for the laptop falls with the students and the same could be done with cameras, perhaps Drew would be able to negotiate a deal to make it affordable to the students.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:53 PM
Junior Drewid

Quote:
Essentially the program has not changed from previous years, except for moving the cost out of tuition. Students are still expected to use the Drew computer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maureen Tauriello
I appreciate your clarifying the computer issue...what I meant to say is that the financial responsibility for the laptop falls with the students and the same could be done with cameras, perhaps Drew would be able to negotiate a deal to make it affordable to the students.
Well, let's be careful. Drew now allows students to substitute an appropriate computer for the standard Drew-issued one, which is a change from the past. At the same time, the cost for the computer has been moved out of tuition too. We expect that most students will continue to decide to accept the standard issue (and they have in this first year of the new policy).
Old 11-05-2005, 01:34 PM
Shannon K. Daley

Default Missing Filmmaking

Hey, I came to Drew aware that there was no film program, but knowing that I would get a great liberal arts education. I really didn't thnk that the absence of filmmaking in my life would have such a major impact. Film for many, including myself, is an expressive art form just as drawing or painting is. The proper tools, equipment and guidance are needed to develop skills and ability. I believe that if there were options to take classes on filmmaking for Drew students (whether they are offered here or at another school), many students would take advantage of them. I know that Drew is very supportive of the arts, so I hope that we can find a way to pursue this interest.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:16 AM
Ranger Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by John D. Muccigrosso
Drew now allows students to substitute an appropriate computer for the standard Drew-issued one...We expect that most students will continue to decide to accept the standard issue

Quote:
...If they wish to bring a different machine they must apply for a specific exception which is approved by a committee designated for that purpose.

There's is a huge amount of misinformation about this amongst the faculty, staff, and students, so it is important that we get the right message out.

This really is a point of confusion I've noticed -- I am constantly assaulting people with the proper information about the CI. ...And no we still do not support Macs.

[slightly off topic]
On a separate point of interest, yet somewhat related, what's with the MASSIVE geek squad advert in the UC? The Helpdesk gets paid to do that stuff, and the comptuers are under 4 year parts/accidental damage coverage...assuming of course the student has a Drew Computer, and was not granted an Exemption.
[/slightly off topic]
Old 11-08-2005, 01:04 PM
Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R. Howe
This really is a point of confusion I've noticed -- I am constantly assaulting people with the proper information about the CI. ...And no we still do not support Macs.

[slightly off topic]
On a separate point of interest, yet somewhat related, what's with the MASSIVE geek squad advert in the UC? The Helpdesk gets paid to do that stuff, and the comptuers are under 4 year parts/accidental damage coverage...assuming of course the student has a Drew Computer, and was not granted an Exemption.
[/slightly off topic]
I was wondering about that myself. It could also cause confusion and
potential problems for students. If there is a problem with a Drew
issued laptop, it should be taken to the CNS Helpdesk. Relying on an
external service is expensive and usually pointless as it cause further
problems with the computer being incompatible with the Drew network.

"I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence."
Old 11-08-2005, 01:29 PM
Junior Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R. Howe

Well, faculty can get a Mac as their Drew computer.

From my Power Mac G4 (Mirrored Drive Doors 2003),
Old 11-08-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Well,

Faculty can get a Mac as their second or later Drew computer according to current policy. And we don't really "support" them other than trying to make sure some basic things are available.

We still do not support Macs for student computers or Computer Initiative purposes.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:48 PM
Elder Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richichi
We still do not support Macs for student computers or Computer Initiative purposes.

Unfortunately *cries*
Old 11-08-2005, 08:31 PM
Drewid

Do you want to have to be able to support macintosh computers as well as windows? Though I hear that Mac makes it much easier to tell what is causing the OS not to boot, with its incredibly descriptive question mark.... Though I found a useful troubleshooting tip.

"I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence."